2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.

I bet he absolutely cannot wait to clear out the trash such as Pickford, Keane, Davies, Walcott, Sigurdsson, et al. Must be like waiting for the transfer window to open on Football Manager. No way he joined us without promises of being able to revamp the squad fully.

I bet he absolutely cannot wait to clear out the trash such as Pickford, Keane, Davies, Walcott, Sigurdsson, et al. Must be like waiting for the transfer window to open on Football Manager. No way he joined us without promises of being able to revamp the squad fully.

Don't know so much about Walcott, Anchelotti seems to rate him and as soon as he's fit he's back in

It's clear Europe will make a big difference, but the idea we can't attract players without Europe is probably too strong. If we are in Europe I think players such as Rabiot become an option. Maybe even Koulibaly does whereas without Europe that becomes a lot harder.

It goes without saying if we can get out of this mess of a season with Europe and Ancelotti we are massively stronger position. Substantially stronger than 4 years ago and when all is taken into account probably as strong as we've been in about 25 years to attract players. We have a world class manager and fantastic DOF, Europe, momentum and money to spend.

I am a little confused with the back up left back comment I think this is a little naive. Even with Europe we will still probably look to take players who have flopped a bit at top clubs (I've obviously mentioned Rabiot here). Diane has been the leagues best left back for both the seasons he's been here. We could have paid an absolute fortune for Ben Chillwell who'd have been a less impressive player. We will continue to recruit from a range of sources.

In truth our best players currently are 3 Barcelona reserves, a player from Barnsley and Sheffield United and then a lad who had struggled to score for Watford. We probably need to relax a little about where we sign players from. Going and singing Swansea's or Crystal Palaces best players has really not worked out well for us.

This is a genuine question mate. I know we have money to spend this Summer, but with FFP can we spend big? I was under the impression that before we could spend we would need to get rid of a load of our deadwood first who are on big wages, and that's probably easier said than done.

This is a genuine question mate. I know we have money to spend this Summer, but with FFP can we spend big? I was under the impression that before we could spend we would need to get rid of a load of our deadwood first who are on big wages, and that's probably easier said than done.

I'm probably not the best person to ask that really mate.

From my understanding we came very close to a 3 year limit last year (though we have increased sponsorship by £6m and had the £30m injection). However if we repeated the last years account this year, it's hard to see how we avoid going over the limits on losses. The elephant in the room is going to be new Shirt and sleeve sponsorship which could also bring more money in.

Reading between the lines it seems wages have stayed the same. Gana's sale would have brought in £25m profit, and bookman and Vlasic at around £30milion profit between them, maybe £40m profit with Onyekuru leaving.

So with those sales at potentially £65m profit showing and maybe sponsorship up perhaps £25million we might be ok. However we did pay out for a fair few players again, which will weigh us down.

It seems the club are being quite open and working with UEFA quite openly. I suspect they will point out they are trying to comply, a lot of the losses are down to having to continually rotate managers and factors out of our control. In the first instance I could imagine a warning would be given with assurances we would be looking to rectify the situation.

In the broader picture most of the problems are limited with a big sale every year or 2. I do wonder if one of Holgate, Calvert Lewin or Richarlinson goes. I think it just gives us a lot of flexibility. It also probably allows us to show UEFA we are going into profit for this season so we have learnt our lesson. All of these things do also get impacted upon by whether we qualify for Europe too. If we don't then the urgency to comply is probably a bit less as UEFA won't ask as many questions. If we do it's a concern, but potentially £20m + from EL or up to £100m from CL makes a massive difference.

FFP are a set of quite flawed rules which there are ways of maximising. One of them is to sell big players quite regularly. I don't think we will do this, but if we sold Richarlinson for say £110m and Calvert Lewin for £90m. That would probably allow us to spend around £600m in fees that same year. Or consecutive years of £300m and we would be fine for FFP. We would be fine for probably 5 years (as 2 years would be profitable still, and it would take a further 3 years after to show the loss). I do wonder if such sacrifices, as a smaller level will be considered.

Interesting that Ancelotti is reportedly trying to get his staff to speak English, especially as Silva made no such commitment and his staff would do meetings in Portugese whilst Dunc had to just sit there being ignored

Which is ironic given his call for Yerry Mina and Richarlison to up their English game.

Status
Not open for further replies.