Match Thread Everton 3-1 Crystal Palace - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson on Match of the Day: "It was a cruel defeat in many ways, the first 25 minutes was tame from both teams, but towards the end of the half we showed more confidence and got on the ball better.

"The way we started the second was half really good and the equaliser was a result of the control we had. The second goal came when we were pushing, all of a sudden the flick on puts Richarlison through on a 40, 50-yard run and we found ourselves fighting to get back another equaliser - we hit the crossbar, the keeper made a fantastic save.

"The third killed it off. I can't fault the players' effort, but it's another defeat and another we go home without points despite the fact we didn't play that badly and perhaps deserved something.

"We know what we have to do. When we moved the ball quickly we asked questions and were close to getting more than one goal. The result colours any sort of judgement, so it's difficult to see the game as clear as you would like."

More from Roy Hodgson, on Christian Benteke's first goal since April: "He was lively, held the ball up well and got his head on a few balls, that was a positive for us - he's beginning to be the type of centre forward we need.

"He was a constant danger but Everton defended well too. As did we. Jordan Pickford was forced to make a match-winning save.

"We have enough in our locker to make sure we get the points we need, but the sooner that happens the happier we'll all be."

Roy lad the fact you think playing like that deserves a point explains why you haven’t won since Boxing Day.

1581175035559.png

...different planet.

Zaha is the epitome of a complicated and fancy footballer lots of people like because he’s got a trick or two. I’m not a fan of complicated, fancy footballers. Richarlison is the epitome of an uncomplicated and effective footballer who gets the job done. I’m a big fan of uncomplicated, effective footballers.
I play walking football with the same. There are those of us who play simple one touch stuff and move off the ball, with an eye to creating a good pass or space and there are those who akwayslurk up front and try to look fancy - and rather than lay off a simple pass to their team mate who's just lost their marker, will decide instead to do one more turn and try to beat one more player with something fancy. They're nearly always a rs fan and about 5' 4"tall.

I've learned .... whenever the ball goes to those sort, it's time to go back and defend because ultimately we lose possession.

They're only friendly games - but by God I could throttle some of them at times!

Didnt really see the masterclass some are referring to with Schneiderlin today? Thought he was average and Sigurdsson anonymous bar fouls and safe passes.

Not agenda driven, didnt see anything 'wow'...

...different planet.

Zaha is the epitome of a complicated and fancy footballer lots of people like because he’s got a trick or two. I’m not a fan of complicated, fancy footballers. Richarlison is the epitome of an uncomplicated and effective footballer who gets the job done. I’m a big fan of uncomplicated, effective footballers.
There is a middle ground though and they are the players we all want .Bally et al.

Take aways from today;

1. Pickford just isn't good enough. Yes he can make a worldie but his level of consistency is poor. Needs to be replaced.

2. Not convinced at all about the experiment of Sidibe playing right midfield.

3. Carlo might just get a tune out of Schneiderlin

4. Richarlison is the only player that we have with X factor.

5. We dodged a bullet not signing Zaha .

6. Palace are absolutely woeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.