2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the squad wasn’t broken under Silva. But Silva’s own fear transmitted through to the players. It will take time for Carlo to turn this fear round with the players. Hence the Newcastle result but I think he is already making some positive steps. I know some fans were annoyed that he shrugged it off after Newcastle game but the players have got to manage games better and part of that I not panicking when going behind. He’s experienced and he’s definitely more relaxed but assertive from the bench.

I like this quote about the upcoming break: “They can have maybe four, five days off. Then we train again,” says Carlo Ancelotti. “I want to stay here in Finch Farm. We don’t need to move around the world. We stay here.”

to be fair to Silva he did the exact same thing last season snd we went on a tear afterwards, probably the best thing he did in his tenure

Don`t know why, but I thought that was one of the first things Brands had done when he arrived or am I getting mixed up with the set up at Ajax ( I know he came from PSV )

That's the way it should work at any club with a Director of Football.

It wasn't the case last season with the academy which whilst surprising is understandable as it was Brands first year.

One can also assume it hasn't happened yet as Brands didn't want Silva and thus didn't want to cascade Silva's playing style throughout the club.

I mention in this post below I think this Summer will be when this kinda thing happens so maybe I wasn't far off:

TL;DR - We’re gonna be just fine.

I’m a big fan of Brands and I’m a big fan of the DoF model but only when it is utilised correctly. I understand the frustrations with some on his transfer business or the business he didn’t do but I think we need to take a few steps back and assess the situation and the bigger picture.

For a DoF to be successful there needs to be a symbiotic relationship between him and the manager but there also needs to be a clear long term plan in place. In my opinion Brands never wanted Silva but Moshiri had the say in that and we’re still paying the price for that and for the Koeman/Walsh era. We currently have a squad assembled to meet the needs of about 3 managers who all play a different style of football which is just a horrid situation to be in.

I honestly believe if we’d have been fortunate enough to be able to bring Ancelotti in when Brands joined our squad would be in much better shape. I think it was actually a really shrewd move holding out on transfers this January because I think they’d have only been short-term solutions that would become a problem further down the line. We forget Ancelotti has only been here 6 weeks ish and his relationship with Brands is at its nascent. They will both still be learning the sort of player required going forward and I don’t think the thorough scouting will have been in place for a manager brought in a couple of weeks before a window opens.

The way I see a DoF working is that he comes into a club alongside a long-term manager who then decides the sort of playstyle and player profile he wants. The DoF then has a clear idea of what to buy/grow to help the manager be successful. If we need a left-back then we’ll have a list of left-back profiles to go for or we look to the academy. If the academy needs a left-back and there’s nothing coming though the age group below: sign a left-back for the academy. The reason them lot, regrettably, work so well is because Klopp enforced 4-3-3 and he is strict in the profile of player he wants. They buy carbon copy replacements and they grow carbon copy replacements in the academy whilst selling those that will never fit Klopp’s plan.

I believe this Summer is going to be the complete wiping of the slate with a lot of players out of contract and a lot that are on their last year. Ancelotti will have had 6 months to imprint his style and Brands will have had 6 months to look for players that fit this style. The likes of Iwobi would not have been bought last year if Ancelotti was in charge as they don’t really fit his system.

It’s a shame the Euros fall when they do but I’m confident we will have a prosperous summer and a great 2020/21 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.