Europa League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Europa League now has an added pull of getting in the CL. This may be our best route. This is why Arsenal and man Utd will be going all out to win it this season which is a worry

We should strive to be in Europe year in year out, regardless.

It is extra revenue and more importantly an opportunity to win something.

Coming from the PL, we should have the resources to cope without excuse.

If we can't cope with it as regards league form, we might as well never bother at all.
But we don't even seem to bother trying to win the domestic cups.

I dont think that its the case at all that 7th places misses out if an english club wins both CL and Europa. That wouldnt make any sense unless one of the teams is outside of the top 7. In that case yes, the 4th place team gets drop to Europa, but 4 teams still go to CL(CL and Europa winner, plus top 2 teams on the table), 3 teams still get dropped to Europa, 4th, EFL cup and FA cup.

So as far as I know its fine if an english team wins CL and EL, just so long as they are in the top 7. 7 english teams go to Europe, its just like if a non-top 7 won the FA cup.
Sounds logical to me.

I would kind of like Europa qualification this year, but only because it means we are closer to the top of the table than the bottom and potentially we can attract players.

But from the following season (21/22) they are changing the Europa league format completely. There will be 2 competitions, Europa League 1 and 2. The 5th and 6th place teams would go in 1 and the 7th place would go in 2. In Europa league 1 the English teams go straight into the group stage and in Europa league 2 they go into 1 qualifying round. Less games from the start and if you win your group you play less games as well. I think it is a much better format

There is potential to play and beat some big teams in the Europa League, with Ancelotti as our manager, a run towards the final would be great for the club in intangible ways too, we could beat some notable teams like AC Milan or Dortmund or Lyon or Marseille for example. It's absurd that the club and media and our previous managers have constantly been talking about top 6 for about 5 years and yet supporters would hope we don't qualify! Imagine Richarlison or some new flashy signings going to one of these stadiums and scoring a hat-trick. It would give the whole club a lift, Ancelotti a lift, just cos Koeman wasn't bothered doesn't mean Ancelotti won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.