Tim Cahill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cahill more often than not turned up for us when it mattered. Played his heart out for us. I wish our current crop had his will to win for the club.
Only player in recent times you could guarantee could score against all the sides above and around us. Would be interesting to see how many different teams he did score against

Cahill not fit to lace Duncan's boots in my opinion. I get he gave it a go but for me at least was never someone I could take to. You're right he showed a bit of fight and determination but we were a pub team in those days that suited his limited ability.

Jeffers had all the skill in the world but wasted it like nobody's business. I remember at the time thinking he'd be our Fowler for a decade. Such a shame. On that basis though - all the skill plus a tough story of how it can be frittered all away - isnt he the perfect coach for our younger ones?

Interesting perspective. I agree with you that Ferguson had much more ability than Cahill, or natural ability. However Ferguson did waste most of it. Neville Southall (who is not lavishing of his praise on players) stated Ferguson could have been the best in the world.

Cahill eeked every bit of talent out of himself. I'm pleased he's with the club and think he will make a very good coach.

In fairness to Ferguson when you listen to him he's very aware that he didn't make the most of his career. I remember when he was asked what he would say to a young Duncan Ferguson and essentially said to not go out as much, don't take football for granted and work harder. I thought they were very honest, thoughtful and considered responses that were well delivered. If he delivers that message to the future young strikers/players I'm sure it will sink in.

So it's not an either or to me. I can see they both have many of the skills you would want from a good coach. They both seem to speak and communicate very well.

As biased as I should be, I don't think he was our greatest export with regards to skill. Our "Golden era" included the likes of Viduka & Kewell who were much better players but Tim had more of an X factor about him when you just knew he could make something happen.

I know he often played as our Striker but, when you think of what you'd put in a highlight reel that excluded what he did around the goals, would it be a long clip?

As biased as I should be, I don't think he was our greatest export with regards to skill. Our "Golden era" included the likes of Viduka & Kewell who were much better players but Tim had more of an X factor about him when you just knew he could make something happen.

I know he often played as our Striker but, when you think of what you'd put in a highlight reel that excluded what he did around the goals, would it be a long clip?

They were better technically than Cahill but he turned up and won big matches.

You're right, winning 50/50 duels and simple but effective passing don't make highlight reels. They can still be invaluable for a team.

I'm sure you could make an incredible highlight reel for someone like Manuel Fernandes but what was his overall impact on teams and games?

his talent was being in the right place at the right time, and his headers obviously you cannot say they wasnt talent
Yes he was in the right place at the right time scoring goals, counter balanced by all the stupid fouls ge gave away in all area’s of the pitch including dangerous area’s, he never used his nous on those many, many occasions.

Tim always played with his heart, occasionally forgetting he had a brain but such was his commitment to the blue cause it was forgivable. If some of the present crop of players showed his degree of guts and determination we'd be in the Euro places now. His Aussie grit certainly over came his skill short comings and he had grit in abundance making him a credit to our club.

Yes he was in the right place at the right time scoring goals, counter balanced by all the stupid fouls ge gave away in all area’s of the pitch including dangerous area’s, he never used his nous on those many, many occasions.

with the past two decades of players cahill is surely one of the better players we have had to change a game, and surely in most people top 3 players from that time frame and Saha ;)

with the past two decades of players cahill is surely one of the better players we have had to change a game, and surely in most people top 3 players from that time frame and Saha ;)
Yes Saha would have been a player to savour except for his injury problems, Tim was a good team player but not in my top three to be honest.

Has anyone got a link for the goals Timmy scored against the RS. Sitting here with the Mrs and father in law after a few bevs but can't find it

Status
Not open for further replies.