New Everton Stadium Discussion

Never said you had anything to do with them did I? Just said your talking about stuff that was put forward by then. So now you’re on about the Kings Dock which has now been built on as, let’s be honest, Everton in them days never had a cat in hells chance of funding that stadium. Another kenwright scheme that fell by the wayside. Excellent. Any other previous prospective sites you want to discuss? Nobody, even the majority of the fans, have the appetite to redevelop Goodison when we can move onto the waterfront.

Well that's where you're wrong again. If Kenwright had taken the offer of his fellow boardmember, Kings Dock would've been built for a fraction of the cost of BMD with all the enabling development in place.... all within easy walking distance of all transport hubs. Instead all the funding went to the arena and conference/exhibition instead.

Going to the waterfront is not the prerequisite. Going to a place that 50,000+ can get to easily, that meets all our needs and importantly that we can afford is. Otherwise you could've had Garston docks old freight terminal, Speke estuary Park, garden festival site or anywhere north of seaforth dock for next to nothing without all the heritage and site prep costs too. But they would all be hopeless in terms of accessibility.

Ultimately the stadium will probably (or nearly) pay for itself through naming rights. Once it is 10/15 years old what is left of the debt will seem surprisingly affordable especially when compared to what a new stadium will cost at that time.

It is the way it works.
Not as affordable as the same naming rights being applied to a redeveloped Goodison

The actual construction cost for LFCs mainstand was £74m. There were additional costs for ancillaries.
Their new Anfield Rd stand will cost approx £60m. The result will be a 61k stadium increased from 45k for a construction cost of just £134m.

In my article (which is a few years old) I also cited other existing redevelopments using actual costs. Taking off the upper Bullens, reprofilling the lower adding capacity in an extended lower tier and larger upper stand would be transformational and not piecemeal in any way. It would cost less per seat than Anfield because the lower tier is shallower and the construction volume would be proportionally less. Yes, my figures are broadbrush for the purpose of discussion.... but if anything I'm inflating what was ratified by several stadium architects at the time.

But Tom, it will still be called the Tin mine and will still stink of piss, sorry mate a few loft extensions and a bigger capacity full of tourists won't change that.

Not as affordable as the same naming rights being applied to a redeveloped Goodison

Do you really think Everton would get the same naming rights deals and opportunities, that they will get, for having a brand new stadium on the docks right by the Mersey ?
Think land investment in that area, Moshiri already owns half of the Liver buildings, why do you think Usmanov is getting involved, with sponsorships, naming rights ?

Well that's where you're wrong again. If Kenwright had taken the offer of his fellow boardmember, Kings Dock would've been built for a fraction of the cost of BMD with all the enabling development in place.... all within easy walking distance of all transport hubs. Instead all the funding went to the arena and conference/exhibition instead.

Going to the waterfront is not the prerequisite. Going to a place that 50,000+ can get to easily, that meets all our needs and importantly that we can afford is. Otherwise you could've had Garston docks old freight terminal, Speke estuary Park, garden festival site or anywhere north of seaforth dock for next to nothing without all the heritage and site prep costs too. But they would all be hopeless in terms of accessibility.

I’m not wrong am I lol he never had the money, and as you say, he rejected the chance to take it from elsewhere as he didn’t want to lose his train set. I do agree it’s in the most amazing location and we should always regret not taking that opportunity, the blame for that lies with one man. For what it’s worth the arena is a nightmare to get away from if you drive, I suspect BMD will be similar.

BMD is not perfect granted but it’s walkable from town and easily accessed from current train stations. I can’t see it being a problem with fan dispersal after the games (unless you drive right up to the ground) With respect to the other sites you name, Garston dock is miles away from town and the old festival site (I maybe wrong) did that not have problems with ground contamination? And there’s not a chance on earth you’d get a stadium on the Speke site, not if you don’t want to take 3 days to get home. I used to work for the bank on the estuary and it’s a nightmare come rush hour. I think BMD is realistically the best site we had left and if we don’t get it then god knows what we’ll do, but it’s certainly a great location and will be even more so once the regeneration of the area is complete.

Whilst I disagree with quite a bit of what you say this was spot on, but he and Gregg did not like each other some thing to do with control of the clubI think.

Do you really think Everton would get the same naming rights deals and opportunities, that they will get, for having a brand new stadium on the docks right by the Mersey ?
Think land investment in that area, Moshiri already owns half of the Liver buildings, why do you think Usmanov is getting involved, with sponsorships, naming rights ?

He can see a bigger picture.

Initially it will be all fireworks and bright lights but ultimately finances will depend upon us avoiding the same dip as everyone else who built a new ground (bar Leicester and putting aside the monied owner perishing at the new stadium). A dip from our mid table obscurity means relegation fights and the gargantuan debt involved could mean we can't spend our way out of bother - Uzi or not.

And if the footballing gods play to form rubbing our noses in it when we think the tide is turning ( inspired) the idea of relegation in a spanking new stadium doesn't seem so far fetched. Naming rights and whatever magical opportunities abound won't cover that disaster as Cov at the Ricoh, Southampton at St Marys, Bolton at the Reebok will testify

The romance of a stadium on the mersey is compelling as long as you ignore the facts of what has happened to virtually all clubs who have trodden this path.

Initially it will be all fireworks and bright lights but ultimately finances will depend upon us avoiding the same dip as everyone else who built a new ground (bar Leicester and putting aside the monied owner perishing at the new stadium). A dip from our mid table obscurity means relegation fights and the gargantuan debt involved could mean we can't spend our way out of bother - Uzi or not.

And if the footballing gods play to form rubbing our noses in it when we think the tide is turning ( inspired) the idea of relegation in a spanking new stadium doesn't seem so far fetched. Naming rights and whatever magical opportunities abound won't cover that disaster as Cov at the Ricoh, Southampton at St Marys, Bolton at the Reebok will testify

The romance of a stadium on the mersey is compelling as long as you ignore the facts of what has happened to virtually all clubs who have trodden this path.
fortunately you've long since proven to be dumb as a post, so no one needs to pay any attention to your 'facts'

The actual construction cost for LFCs mainstand was £74m. There were additional costs for ancillaries.
Their new Anfield Rd stand will cost approx £60m. The result will be a 61k stadium increased from 45k for a construction cost of just £134m.

In my article (which is a few years old) I also cited other existing redevelopments using actual costs. Taking off the upper Bullens, reprofilling the lower adding capacity in an extended lower tier and larger upper stand would be transformational and not piecemeal in any way. It would cost less per seat than Anfield because the lower tier is shallower and the construction volume would be proportionally less. Yes, my figures are broadbrush for the purpose of discussion.... but if anything I'm inflating what was ratified by several stadium architects at the time.

You should never ever take your cost advice from an architect (n)