The 2020 Squad Analysis Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_La

Player Valuation: £8m
Ok - if it were up to you - split the squad (basing the squad off the list on our official site - here: https://www.evertonfc.com/teams/first-team - plus the likes of Kenny, Dowell and Bowler who are out on loan currently) into the following categories this summer and let's see what we're all thinking. I'll try and run some stats after plenty of people have had their say:

Category 1: Definitely keep long term and build around

Category 2: Keep for now - something to prove to earn long term trust

Category 3: Keep as a squad player - starting only when desperate

Category 4: Loan out to gain more experience

Category 5: Bin off - (sell/release/end loan etc)

Here's mine:

Category 1: Holgate, Digne, Mina, Bernard, Gomes, Richarlison, DCL, Moise Kean

Category 2: Pickford, Iwobi, Gbamin, Kenny, Delph

Category 3: Lossl, Keane, Coleman

Category 4: Davies, Gordon, Gibson (if he signs a new deal), Baningime, Adeniran, Bowler

Category 5: Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Baines, Stekelenburg, Walcott, Niasse, Martina, Dowell, Sidibe

Last edited:
Ok - if it were up to you - split the squad (basing the squad off the list on our official site - here: https://www.evertonfc.com/teams/first-team - plus the likes of Kenny, Dowell and Bowler who are out on loan currently) into the following categories this summer and let's see what we're all thinking. I'll try and run some stats after plenty of people have had their say:

Category 5: Bin off - (sell/release etc)

Here's mine:

Category 2: Pickford, Iwobi, Gbamin, Kenny

Category 4: Davies, Gordon, Gibson (if he signs a new deal), Baningime, Adeniran, Bowler

Category 5: Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Baines, Stekelenburg, Walcott, Niasse, Martina, Dowell

Theres about 3 threads on this...no need for 'sub categories'...

KEEP

GK: Pickford
RB: Kenny
CB: Mina / Holgate / Gibson
LB: Digne
CM: Gomes / Gbamin / Davies
AM: Bernard / Iwobi / Gordon
CF: DCL / Richarlison / Kean

SELL

GK: Lossl / Virginia / Stekelenburg(OOC)
RB: Coleman / Sidibe(OOC) / Cuco(OOC)
CB: Keane
LB: Baines(OOC)
CM: Delph / Schneiderlin / Sigurdsson / Baningime
AM: Dowell / Walcott
CF: Niasse(OOC)

No idea on Adeniran or Bowler.

Here's mine:

Category 1: Holgate, Digne, Mina, Bernard, Gomes, Richarlison, DCL, Moise Kean, Gbamin

Category 2: Iwobi, Kenny, Gordon, Baningime

Category 3: Lossl, Keane, Coleman, Baines, Sidibe, Delph

Category 4: Gibson (if he signs a new deal), Adeniran, Bowler

Category 5: Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Stekelenburg, Walcott, Niasse, Martina, Dowell, Pickford, Davies

KEEP

SELL

I agree with the keeps and don’t keeps. Except for Sidibe, I think for the price we could get him for and for what he offers it’s a no brainier to keep him.

Here's mine:

Category 5: Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Baines, Stekelenburg, Walcott, Niasse, Martina, Dowell, Sidibe

Absolutely agree but I’d also make sure to put Tosun, Sandro, Besic, Pennington, Garbutt and Bolasie in that last category. They do unfortunately all still exist.

i'd swap siggurdsson and keane to be honest, we're getting nowhere if we have that petrified clumsy oaf in our squad. Then i'd move holgate down a level, he's been great for us this season, but i think we need him or Mina partnered with an absolute monster centre back, a proper leader. Pickford should still be there, he needs a rest more than anything imo, he's just another who has all the talent but the mentality is just all wrong. You see players like him and if they were in this team with about 3 leaders added going down the spine of our team, their talent will shine through. Sigurdsson is in that same bracket too.

I'd definitely keep sidibe for a measly £12m, we've got a big rebuild, i don't see having to waste time looking for another new right back as wise, if we could get £15m for coleman or kenny to cover that transfer and raise funds for others then i think that's fairly sound business, right now i'm starting to think Coleman should be the one to go.

Here's mine:

Way way too many in the definitely keep list.

My tier 1 would be DCL, Richarlison and Digne. I have questions over everyone else. The people who are putting 7 or 8 in the keep list are crazy. Do you actually think our starting XI is close to a CL side? If you don't the list has to be smaller.

I went through and counted how many teams our first XI would get into in the rest of the league (except Delph instead of Gbamin until he plays more). Basically asking for example if I had Pickford or Tom Heaton who is playing the most games over a league season. And then repeated for each team and each player in our team.

These are what I counted with the number of teams that are top half sides in parentheses:

Pickford: 8 (2)
Sidibe: 10 (4)
Mina: 13 (4)
Holgate: 13 (4)
Digne: 18 (8)
Walcott: 8 (2)
Gomes: 12 (4)
Delph: 6 (1)
Bernard: 8 (2)
Richarlison: 15 (6)
DCL: 13 (4)

Some of this is down to the strength of the league. Mina and Holgate are some way off being top level defenders but I think they'd play for most teams because so many CBs are hidden by overly defensive systems and aren't anything special. Bernard and Walcott come out the same because LW is stronger with teams like Watford and Villa having great players in that spot despite being poor overall.

The point of this is to say we don't have that many players that should be in that first category of long term building blocks unless all we are building for is to occasionally finish 6th and go on a few trips to Slovenia.

Here's mine:

what's wrong with Sidibe?

KEEP

SELL

Jury will be out on Gomes, there are plenty of players who don't come back the same after an injury like that, if he's not up to scratch he'll have to go too, hopefully he'll be one of the few that come back as good or better.

Digne is skating on very thin ice, but I would keep in category 1 in the hope that with a better set of players around him, he'd come good again. I genuinely think the only top quality player we have is Richarlison (and the Digne of last season). DCL is starting to prove his worth, but for me, he has to carry this on for the rest of the season and in to next season to win me over as I still see flaws in his game. Gbamin and Kean haven't been here long enough, and Gordon is only young, but I see some quality there. Delph, Walcott and Iwobi would stay in the squad just to fill the squad out.

Category 1: Digne, Richarlison,

Category 2: Pickford, Holgate, Mina, Sidibe, Gomes, Gbamin, Calvert Lewin, Bernard, Kean, Gordon

Category 3: Stekelenburg, Lossl, Baines, Delph, Walcott, Iwobi,

Category 4: Gibson, Baningime, Adeniran,

Category 5: Michael Keane, Coleman, Martina, Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Davies, Niasse

Status
Not open for further replies.