2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can blame him all you want.

But when a manager is building a system to fit him in and then not in any way playing to his strengths, what can he do?

He drops back, and then neither Delph or Schneiderlin push on. So we have a massive gap.

He stays where he is, and the players don't get the ball into him.

Neither of the CM's pass to him, and when it goes out wide neither of the full backs cut the ball back to him either. He's regularly free on the edge of the area.

I'd be absolutely livid if I was him. It's impossible to play well if nobody ever passes to you.

Because he hides behind the opposition defensive mid, 25 yards away from them.

Is it his fault he's playing in front of two defensive mids who refuse to get remotely close to him? That's a tactical problem by Silva. He's isolated. And he repeatedly gets in good pockets but gets ignored.

Far, far too easy to blame Gylfi for the inadequacies of the rest of this team.

I screencapped just one example as I knew people would start the "nobody passes to him" excuse.

The above happens constantly. He's never looking to receive a ball - he looks to hide between the lines. The above happens over and over again, every game, so the midfield has no choice but to look wide.

View attachment 68085

I screencapped just one example as I knew people would start the "nobody passes to him" excuse.

The above happens constantly. He's never looking to receive a ball - he looks to hide between the lines. The above happens over and over again, every game, so the midfield has no choice but to look wide.

Again, I'm not saying he's been good.

Status
Not open for further replies.