Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No that’s fine, I get that. I’m not making concrete assertions about our new signings either way until I’ve seen them play. I do however think Kean is more or less guaranteed to be a success. Here’s my red hot takes on our summer improvement or lack of:

Goalkeeper

Obviously remains the same and will do so for many years. We have stronger backup than last season however.

Right back

Assuming Sidibé is announced today, we undoubtedly have stronger backup than last season. He may even be an upgrade on Coleman, we’ll see.

Centre back

Assuming Mina stays fit we are no weaker than last season. However if Mina or Keane do get injured, we instantly become weaker. I’ll give you this one.

Left back

As per.

Centre midfield

This is the one that’s up in the air. Gomes is as you were, the toss up is between whether Gbamin is equal to or better than Gana, this will define whether we’ve improved in this position or not. Delph means we have stronger backup than last season.

Winger

As it stands exactly the same. Could skyrocket up the improvement chart if Zaha lands in L4.

Attacking midfield

As you were.

Striker

I think only an extreme pessimist could deny we’ve made a huge improvement in this area. Without even needing to see the boy Kean play, he’s one of the most highly rated youngsters in Europe and could be an absolute game changer of a signing. DCL is a better backup than Niasse or Tosun. Think this one goes in the “improved” box.

I hope you appreciated that as I had to sit down at a computer to type it!
I agree with all of this. Whilst the improvement on paper may be marginal, there is much more potential in the squad and the average age is dropping.

No that’s fine, I get that. I’m not making concrete assertions about our new signings either way until I’ve seen them play. I do however think Kean is more or less guaranteed to be a success. Here’s my red hot takes on our summer improvement or lack of:

Goalkeeper

Obviously remains the same and will do so for many years. We have stronger backup than last season however.

Right back

Assuming Sidibé is announced today, we undoubtedly have stronger backup than last season. He may even be an upgrade on Coleman, we’ll see.

Centre back

Assuming Mina stays fit we are no weaker than last season. However if Mina or Keane do get injured, we instantly become weaker. I’ll give you this one.

Left back

As per.

Centre midfield

This is the one that’s up in the air. Gomes is as you were, the toss up is between whether Gbamin is equal to or better than Gana, this will define whether we’ve improved in this position or not. Delph means we have stronger backup than last season.

Winger

As it stands exactly the same. Could skyrocket up the improvement chart if Zaha lands in L4.

Attacking midfield

As you were.

Striker

I think only an extreme pessimist could deny we’ve made a huge improvement in this area. Without even needing to see the boy Kean play, he’s one of the most highly rated youngsters in Europe and could be an absolute game changer of a signing. DCL is a better backup than Niasse or Tosun. Think this one goes in the “improved” box.

Agree with most but we are definitely weaker at CB. Yes, mina and keane are good players, but the partnership between keane and zouma was strong and zoumas capabilities made up for Keane's weaknesses. Thats why we were successful with it. Mina is in the same mould as keane for me, so we need a player with zouma strengths to come in.

Agree with most but we are definitely weaker at CB. Yes, mina and keane are good players, but the partnership between keane and zouma was strong and zoumas capabilities made up for Keane's weaknesses. Mina is in the same mould as keane for me, so we need a player with zouma strengths to come in.

I actually think Zouma and Mina are very similar. Keane is calmer and better on the ball than both, and also looks to have the potential to be more of a leader than them too. Zouma and Mina are both often caught out of position trying to nick the ball high up, Keane is smarter and knows how to cover when one of them steps up. Keane isn't as aggressive and decisive in the air as either Mina or Zouma though.

Hi all, PLEASE CAN WE HELP A BLUE OUT!

Know its not transfer but there is a deadline! I entered a competition and need as many likes as possible by midday today to win. Currently about 20 behind. It would be amazing if you could like the following picture. This was me on top of Moel Siabod, a 3000ft mountain as part of a half ironman (1.9k swim, 92k bike, 21k run) in Snowdonia a couple of weeks ago. LIKE, LIKE, LIKE

Already done it (after you started a specific thread about it.) This is the transfer thread mate.
This is at least the second time that you have posted your request in this thread and TBH it's getting a bit 'spammy' now.

Goalkeeper

Right back

Centre back

Left back

As per.

Centre midfield

Winger

Attacking midfield

As you were.

Striker

I did, and I agree with the vast majority.

I think we're a bit weaker at centre half as a unit, but I appreciate that comes down to personal preference. Based on what I've seen of them I have a feeling that Keane and Mina as a pair will be a problem, but that may prove completely unfounded and I'm not going to pretend it's a fact. I wasn't a Lookman fan and was happy to see him go, but the fact is he was coming off the bench pretty regularly, and while he may not have had that many direct impacts on games (although he did have some, to be fair) he did give us a bit of a change up and gave teams something else to think about with his ability to get on the ball and commit people. He won't be hard to upgrade on, but as it stands we'd be asking Mirallas or Bolasie to do what he did. That makes us weaker in my opinion.

So yeah, all in all I think we're about the same level as we were, basically the strengthening up front and the weakening at the back cancel eachother out for me. I said yesterday, if we sign Zouma, Zaha and Doucoure then I think we should be looking at a (probably ultimately doomed) top 4 challenge because that would be a big improvement. If we don't sign anyone else at all, or just Tomori, then I think finishing higher than last year would be a big achievement for Silva.

Status
Not open for further replies.