Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pienaar often approached or reached double digit assists. And giving him credit for Baines being good is fine. It still doesn't mean a better player couldn't have worked with him and done more on his own. The situation with Bernard and Digne is similar. Digne can work with someone else who does more himself.

I'm not saying Bernard is perfect, plenty of games i'd prefer Richarlison on the left who would create space while being more of a threat in goal. Sometimes you need a more direct attacker, sometimes a more clever one.

I'm more just backing up the point that stats aren't everything, especially when people make them up. For me, Bernard does the same job Pienaar did for Baines, that is the comparison. I would expect Bernard to get 2/3 more goals and a few more assists sure, but he also took a while to settle in to the league after having no pre-season and not playing a game for 4/5 months.

Transfermarkt is as good as it gets for stats, enjoy the read. deffo not 5 assists

414036842949ad673ffd9c2c30e8fd23.png

I'm not saying Bernard is perfect, plenty of games i'd prefer Richarlison on the left who would create space while being more of a threat in goal. Sometimes you need a more direct attacker, sometimes a more clever one.

I'm more just backing up the point that stats aren't everything, especially when people make them up. For me, Bernard does the same job Pienaar did for Baines, that is the comparison. I would expect Bernard to get 2/3 more goals and a few more assists sure, but he also took a while to settle in to the league after having no pre-season and not playing a game for 4/5 months.
The he needed to settle thing really fails to explain why he didn't do appreciably better the second half of the year.

The team played better and he was in it but he didn't really play better himself. He was what he was. We will need more for real next season.

The he needed to settle thing really fails to explain why he didn't do appreciably better the second half of the year.

The team played better and he was in it but he didn't really play better himself. He was what he was. We will need more for real next season.

He did do better though. Before Christmas for me, he looked off the pace, while showing glimpses of what he can do.

After Christmas, in particular the last 10 or so, alot more consistent, more of a threat, crisper touches. He absolutely needs to step up in front of goal. However i feel for him in the assists column though as lets face it, a decent striker last season would have seen us get top 6 and everybody looking tidier and sharper.

I think we just desperately need that left footed right winger. Which means Richarlison can go left and right, and give us plenty of options.

You can't compare apples with apples as they haven't played in the same league across the same period of time. Also using the "what has he won" metric is notoriously bad as a measurement of a player as there are plenty of top quality players who have won nothing and vice versa, several 'hanger onners' who have won plenty.

I'm not using that as a stick to beat Bernard with, I was asked why I thought Barnes was better and I said that Barnes had consistently proved himself (admittedly at an inferior level) then stepped up, creating & scoring more than Bernard in the PL from January onwards.

On that basis, I think it's more likely he will kick on this season than Bernard. I could be wrong, I hope I am. I guess we'll see this season.

So one player has proven himself, across his career, to be part of multiple honour winning teams, has played in the CL and has played for his country.

The other hasn't.

But Barnes is the one that has "consistently proven himself".

Don't you see how illogical that is?

A 26 year old having more of those things in total than a 21 year old isn't really surprising.

I'm not here to defend Barnes, he's ok and a good prospect, I wouldn't mind having him but saying Bernard is better because he was Neymar's back up once is strange logic.

Of course it's not surprising. Doesn't mean Bernard hasn't though and doesn't mean it can't be used to suggest one has proven his talent in his career and one has yet to.

And would Harvey Barnes have been Neymar's backup? We're speculating here but i'm going to go no

Mirallas as RB backup. Sell Lookman with Bolasie still in the squad
I’m sure Brands will have some disgustingly hot irons in the fire, but we’re defo into squeeky bum time

You can’t say our DOF nether lands the positions we need

He did do better though. Before Christmas for me, he looked off the pace, while showing glimpses of what he can do.

After Christmas, in particular the last 10 or so, alot more consistent, more of a threat, crisper touches. He absolutely needs to step up in front of goal. However i feel for him in the assists column though as lets face it, a decent striker last season would have seen us get top 6 and everybody looking tidier and sharper.

I think we just desperately need that left footed right winger. Which means Richarlison can go left and right, and give us plenty of options.
Production wise he didn't improve. I dont really care too much about how tidy and sharp he was. Tom Cleverley was tidy too. We need more.

So one player has proven himself, across his career, to be part of multiple honour winning teams, has played in the CL and has played for his country.

The other hasn't.

But Barnes is the one that has "consistently proven himself".

Don't you see how illogical that is?

Playing in the CL and playing for your country. Those things alone aren't pre-requisites for excellence because there are literally thousands that fall into that bracket. Ever heard of Jean-Pierre Nsame? No, neither had I. He's just won back to back titles, plays for his country and plays in the Champions League.

Very political of you to selectively use certain words to fit your argument, though.

I said that Barnes has "consistently proven himself....... (albeit at an inferior level)". You left that last bit out to suit your purpose, but that's the key bit. You can only beat who is in front of you. You can only impress against the opposition you're put against, Barnes has done just that last season. Bernard has not impressed (at least, he hasn't impressed me).

He was free and he could be a decent squad player. But he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI of any team with top 6 ambitions. He wouldn't get in any other team either in the top six or just outside of it. Also, he hasn't been anywhere near a Brazil side for 5 years. That's my assertion, if you disagree that's fine.

I'd rather have Harvey Barnes. Vault me.

Which just means it needs more complex analysis which is being developed. I'm pretty sure the stuff Sam and Moyes used will be outdone by newer metrics in time.

It's already been outdone.

In time we'll be able to create simulations of our own world.

If you accept that as a truth, we're already in a simulation.

Going purely off statistics, who would be the best signing for Everton for the no.9 position in the 19/20 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.