Confirmed Signing Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m like you mate, I find it a bit of a weird one, not for us but for Delph, you would have thought at his age he would be wanting to go somewhere he would be guaranteed first team footy. He’s literally (IMO) going from warming the bench at Man City to warming it with us, if that was the choice for me I know which bench I would rather be warming.

Surpised he's not going to Villa tbh.

The type of players you mention does not need to be 29years old on massive wages. This is completely opposite of what we set out to do when we first hire Brands. Moshiri had mention we need to stop filling the squad with high wages and we’d rather go in for a higher transfer fee. This signing just don’t make sense unless we clear out our deadwood in midfield.
I said it the other day, you have no idea what our plan was when we brought brands in. The idea that he was just going to buy loads of 19 year old Peruvians was just something people made up on here, there was never any official policy announcement.

I’ve said it ever since the AGM, those moshiri quotes were taken out of context. He was talking specifically about big signings, saying that we couldn’t replace lukaku and stones with proven top class players because we couldn’t afford the wages, and so we needed to identify the next big thing and maybe pay a big fee but less wages. He was talking about really big wages, not wages like delph. He called lukakus wage small when it was about £80k a week, his point was that we couldn’t pay £250k a week or whatever.

There was never any suggestion, at all, that we would not sign some players over 25 if they were the right fit and price. That’s something you imagined.

That’s your suggestion, not mine.

You don’t get the point do you?
We have a somewhat fix 11 at this point. The next level of progression is to sign someone capable of breaking into this team.

Any form of backup should be focussing on youth since we have a bench full of experience players that isn’t going to make a big difference, Schneidelin Mccarthy to name a few.

We cannot go back to the same practice of offering 29 years old on a massive wage as a backup.

We need to ship out many of our unwanted midfielders before we really fancy on splurging high wage on half decent backup.

You don’t address any of such points and keep coming out with silly perceptions
You definitely need a group of 14/15 players who would be considered first choice to succeed at this level. Just XI won't hack it. You have to be able to rest or replace the likes of Richarlison, Gomes or Mina without it effecting us. The rest of the squad can then be made up of younger promising players I agree.

So I have no problem with us buying an older more experienced player to fit into that 14/15. The question mark I have is over whether he is good enough and I guess only time will tell.

Surpised he's not going to Villa tbh.
You shouldn't be, didn't leave them on great terms.

Still on the fence with regards this deal, I think it's one where it'll be easier to assess once all our business is done, it is encouraging to hear City's fans opinions on him which seem to be positive in the main.

Well I can’t see him wanting to come to be on the bench, so that would mean he’d want to start, but who does he replace?

If Gana goes he’s not a direct replacement in style and I also don’t think Brands would replace a 29-year old with a 29-year old do you?

As i think @Rudolf Hucker posted earlier, Brands model as PSV was signing and developing young players with the odd experience head brought in for a season or two also.

My point was more about Delph going somewhere he would be guaranteed first team footy mate, he isn’t going to be guaranteed that with us if Gana is still here.

Sure. He will get gametime here for sure. However, I am not quite sure if Delph and Gana is the same type of midfielder, a ball winner.

You're getting a good player in Delph, a bargain for the money. I would have kept him as he's a versatile player and good quality. It's a good move for Delph and a good move for you. I wish him well.
Cheers mate. That gives me some reassurance that somebody who watches him all the time says that. I recall you City fans were saying much the same thing abut Barry when he came on loan and, tbh, as much as we've missed and not replaced Lukaku since he left, for me you can say exactly the same about Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.