Everton Youth Teams Thread

No, he signed a 1 year extension, his first pro contract was done an year ago. The Big Iguana is absolutely correct that 1 year extensions, like Mampala and Foulds got, do not inspire much confidence in these lads - after all, if they go out on loan and do well, their loan club can just promise them better terms if they leave Everton on a free at the end of the season. I suspect that Foulds and Mampala will make up the numbers for the U23s after the expected loan exodus and will be released next year.

Yeh I was thinking of Adedoyin my bad.

Just looking at Mampala though and I can't find how many years he was offered last Summer. Was it only a 1-year pro deal?

No, he signed a 1 year extension, his first pro contract was done an year ago. The Big Iguana is absolutely correct that 1 year extensions, like Mampala and Foulds got, do not inspire much confidence in these lads - after all, if they go out on loan and do well, their loan club can just promise them better terms if they leave Everton on a free at the end of the season. I suspect that Foulds and Mampala will make up the numbers for the U23s after the expected loan exodus and will be released next year.
He's not absolutely right at all though is he? You even point that out in your own post. They're not potential first teamers, but they won't be leaving by the summers end either. They're here to play a role for the under 23s, to allow them to stay competitive, and to add a bit of experience at that level and allow the younger lads to flourish. It's important to get the balance right in teams like that, despite the clamour on here to have the under 23s full of 15 year olds and anyone who doesn't look boss at 17 to be punted.

He's not absolutely right at all though is he? You even point that out in your own post. They're not potential first teamers, but they won't be leaving by the summers end either. They're here to play a role for the under 23s, to allow them to stay competitive, and to add a bit of experience at that level and allow the younger lads to flourish. It's important to get the balance right in teams like that, despite the clamour on here to have the under 23s full of 15 year olds and anyone who doesn't look boss at 17 to be punted.
Was going to post something similar. I’m not sure about Unsworth’s defensive tactics at times , but he gets the balance right usually with his squads. Foulds, Mampala and sadly Evans don’t appear to have the ability to make it with us but could be the foundation in this season’s U23s with younger guys around them , we can’t function at any level with only 10 outfielders , we need a squad too. While we want the U23s to produce first team players we’re never going to have more than 4 or 5 in the team with that potential, the rest will hopefully make a living in the game at a lower level .
The other balancing act though is to make sure that younger players are not blocked and get game time. At this level Foulds is a decent left back who can cover CB , Evans would make a good captain if he’s not loaned out, and it’s a bit sad he hasn’t developed the promise he showed as a 16 year old. Mampala I’m less sure about, and would like to see how the similar aged Phillips does at this level.

Yeh I was thinking of Adedoyin my bad.

Just looking at Mampala though and I can't find how many years he was offered last Summer. Was it only a 1-year pro deal?
Not on subject, could but any of you youngsters out there explain to me why it has become necessary to use the word 'bad' rather than 'mistake'? Similarly where did all this 'get go' usage came from - wasn't the word 'start' precise enough?

That EFL Draw should be done pretty quick,pre-determined groups featuring EFL Clubs and the Invited Clubs’ draw numbers

What the hell is this???????
EFL clubs in League 1 and 2 let 16 “Academy” / u21 teams,m mainly from the PL , into this competition which in the past has been “ The Checkatrade Trophy.” We’ll likely be in a group with three other N West teams. We don’t seem to take it too seriously, usually give a runnout to fringe , young players not playing regularly at U23s, and have never got out of the Group stages , so don’t worry too much. It’s often a wake up call for our youngsters , playing against a full team of men competitively for the first time. But this could be our year.