2018/19 Jonjoe Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m willing to see how Coleman is after a full pre season, the injury he returned from was horrific that’s gonna take time

Lol nope. Coleman is still a very good right back and has a couple of years left in him. IF we can find a better RB, that would be ideal. But until then, we can't be convincing ourselves that Championship level cloggers like Kenny are going to elevate us. Pyar Zatara behaviour here
Coleman is still one of the top 4/5 right backs in the premier and I would hope had another 1, possibly 2 seasons at that level. I wasn't so convinced earlier this year but I believe his form over the last 3 months shows he has finally gotten over his broken leg. He is clearly level above Kenny at the moment.

But Kenny is definitely not a championship clogger mate. He will have a good career in the premier, but needs to improve if that career will be with us. maybe this loan will help in that. He is good back up for Coleman, but may never be good enough to actually replace him as first choice. Time will tell.

Meunièr is roughly the same age as Coleman. Why would we bring in a player not too far off the same age to replace him? It makes no sense.
He’s a good player but doesn’t seem to fit the kind of player we are apparently looking at, at all. Stinks of a Man United panic buy. And they need him more.

And I didn’t say we’d go for the Norwich boy. I said that type of player is more likely.

True. About 3 years younger.

In normal circumstances, it will be rare if Brands and Silva come in for him as he is 27.

True. About 3 years younger.

In normal circumstances, it will be rare if Brands and Silva come in for him as he is 27.

He’ll be 28 by the time the season starts. It just doesn’t feel like something we’d do. If he was a bit cheaper or on reasonable wages maybe. But he won’t be.

Jon Jo could do Tranmere some good now they are in League 1. Thinking about it we could give them a few more at no cost as long as Jon Jo and the others take pay cuts. I dread to think about it but he is probably getting twice what the average Tranmere player is on.

How many matches has Kenny played and after the match you thought, "Good God, that Kenny's awful?" Very few. On the balance, I'd say he's comported himself just fine and he's not shy to get stuck in.

If the plan is to loan for a season and see if he can take the starting RB job, all good. Loan better be revocable.

Apparently its a loan deal to Schalke with buy option so hopefully its compulsory ! Its time to gut the squad and have absolute no sentiment for a player if his not deemed as either 1st team regular or has the potential to be after a Year or 2 maximum on loan!

Just concerned about cover at RB. It's not ideal for Kenny to sit around and not play, whatever you think of his potential. A repeat of '17-'18, where Baines went down and we had to use Martina at LB, would be a disaster.

Coleman is still a good piece and there are other priorites for upgrade, so it may not be a good use of funds to buy his replacement yet. That still leaves the question of who's the backup.

How many matches has Kenny played and after the match you thought, "Good God, that Kenny's awful?" Very few. On the balance, I'd say he's comported himself just fine and he's not shy to get stuck in.

He's somewhere between Hibbert & Coleman if there was a scale of Hibbert being the worst and Coleman being the best

Kenny has had plenty of chances to stake a claim, particularly during Coleman’s long enforced absence and while he has generally performed well overall, he never impressed enough to displace a fit again Seamus,
It is not surprising Coleman has taken time to recover his full form and fitness, but a fully fit Coleman brings a dynamism to the team that Kenny , thus far, simply doesn’t.
When Coleman got his chance he seized it to such an extent that we were audibly demanding his presence on the pitch, Kenny just hasn’t made the same impression,
He is a good player and I hope he succeeds but , on current evidence, his time has not yet arrived.
Whilst I agree with you mate I think it's fair to point out that Coleman himself wasn't holding down a regular starting place as right back until he was a couple of years older than Kenny is now. Also, at the age Kenny got his opportunities, 20 & 21, Seamus was still playing in the Irish League and on loan at Blackpool. When he did get a chance to play regularly, it was initially as a right sided midfielder ahead of the full back.

I think JJ overall filled in very well for Coleman. He's had a handful of stinkers (who hasn't), but generally the lad's done well and importantly he's never hidden unlike some of the more senior players he's had to play alongside. I think it's a bit unfair to say he hasn't taken his chance and compare him to Coleman.

Kenny has to play well enough to oust, when fit, a player who is still one of the best right backs in the Premier. Seamus had to oust Tony Hibbert.

It's an absolutely fantastic move for Kenny this. Can't see him going to Schalke without a promise of regular games. Going from our emergency right back to Schalke's first choice. Cracking move for the lad.

Whilst I agree with you mate I think it's fair to point out that Coleman himself wasn't holding down a regular starting place as right back until he was a couple of years older than Kenny is now. Also, at the age Kenny got his opportunities, 20 & 21, Seamus was still playing in the Irish League and on loan at Blackpool. When he did get a chance to play regularly, it was initially as a right sided midfielder ahead of the full back.

I think JJ overall filled in very well for Coleman. He's had a handful of stinkers (who hasn't), but generally the lad's done well and importantly he's never hidden unlike some of the more senior players he's had to play alongside. I think it's a bit unfair to say he hasn't taken his chance and compare him to Coleman.

Kenny has to play well enough to oust, when fit, a player who is still one of the best right backs in the Premier. Seamus had to oust Tony Hibbert.
I agree with much of what you say. I hope that Kenny can come back and impress the way Coleman did ,as you rightly point out.
You are right to point out that displacing Hibbert who was a solid , dependable defender (often unfairly and distastefully maligned on here), is slightly less daunting than ousting the still superb Coleman. However who ever takes his place should do so on merit not in the hope he will improve or we risk weakening the team,
If Kenny does go to Schalke this represents an excellent opportunity for him to impress and grow outside of his Finch Farm comfort zone.
I wish him well and hope to see the return of a new improved player more ready to seize his chance than currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.