Old Everton Pictures

John Hurst was only missed when he never played in our pomp - He is another blue who should have been capped one tremendous centre back who makes John Stones look ordinary.......
Good player John Hurst, ruined by Steve Heighway in an Anfield derby, he was destroyed for pace and was never quite the same confident defender after that

No he really gave us the run around that day but John Hurst bore the brunt if it.
Labby and Hurst were doing fine till Heighway came on as sub - 2-0 up with 15 minutes to go the unknown Heighway provided the crosses for Toshack Hursty and Labby could not cope in the air with him - 2 quick goals then lawyer popped up to grab the winner - I was on the Kop that day sickening........doh

Labby and Hurst were doing fine till Heighway came on as sub - 2-0 up with 15 minutes to go the unknown Heighway provided the crosses for Toshack Hursty and Labby could not cope in the air with him - 2 quick goals then lawyer popped up to grab the winner - I was on the Kop that day sickening........doh
I was in the Anfield Road end, sickening. 2:0 up and coasting.

Big Bob swoops on a Kenny McNaught header to put us 1-0 up against Villa in the 2nd replay League Cup Final, watched by a delighted Mick Lyons and a flat-footed Chris Nicholl, who was, alas, destined to have the last laugh.
Latch1977-League-Cup-Final-9.jpg

Big Bob swoops on a Kenny McNaught header to put us 1-0 up against Villa in the 2nd replay League Cup Final, watched by a delighted Mick Lyons and a flat-footed Chris Nicholl, who was, alas, destined to have the last laugh.
View attachment 57457
Was in the Stretford End that night and to say you could see Bob's goal coming was an understatement given how much we were in command. Equally once that hopeful punt from Nichol went in you felt Villa had their name on the cup. What a roller coaster game that was.

....and me. Remember the joke afterwards about Evertonians living in 2 up 3 down houses.
I came out of the KOP - missed there winner as I could see it coming - we folded like a pack of cards so much control - then enter Heighway..... as I walked for the bus blues fans approached me from the anfield road end crying women and kids I was only 15 years old myself - I was in shock sick to the bottom of my stomach as I hated them even more than ever after that - I seen us get beat at goodison 3-0 etc but that was to much to bear .....

Yet Dixe reckoned he had a crouched style of playing , and TG Jones would have achieved better if not for the war years - Dixie cliamed TG was more elegant - just circumstances stopped him becoming a top star -TG the best all round footballer ahead of his time stated Dixie........
I saw him when I was a very young boy, T G Jones an immaculate footballer, never went ground, always kept his eye on the ball, don’t know how many times I saw him, but from the first time I never ever forgot how brilliant he was, and yet he was left out of the team for a long period after an argument with Theo Kelly, the secretary/ manager, TG an absolutely awesome footballer, ranks with the very best.

I saw him when I was a very young boy, T G Jones an immaculate footballer, never went ground, always kept his eye on the ball, don’t know how many times I saw him, but from the first time I never ever forgot how brilliant he was, and yet he was left out of the team for a long period after an argument with Theo Kelly, the secretary/ manager, TG an absolutely awesome footballer, ranks with the very best.
Yes the first time I heard his name was off my late father as both I and my brother were drooling over a young Labone - pah he stated you never seen the great TG Jones and then went on a rant on what we had missed - when I sent my book to my brother The Prince of Centre Halves - the first thing he said to me on the phone was pity our late Dad could not have read that........