2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I love the little fella but wouldn’t have extended his contract. It’s a lot to be paying a back-up LB. Saying that, I can understand he still has something to offer and I accept there is some reasoning in this. I’d be less understanding if Jagielka is offered a one-year deal.

It suggests Antonee Robinson is surplus to requirements, which I thought would be the case.

....I love the little fella but wouldn’t have extended his contract. It’s a lot to be paying a back-up LB. Saying that, I can understand he still has something to offer and I accept there is some reasoning in this. I’d be less understanding if Jagielka is offered a one-year deal.

It suggests Antonee Robinson is surplus to requirements, which I thought would be the case.

They will be on massively reduced contracts I should think.

I'd be happy with giving Baines a 1 year deal. He is still a good LB although it is clear he is fading. But he does GET Everton, as does Jags, so losing them both would leave a massive hole in that regard.

We do need another right-back though, ideally a 19-22 year old to learn and rotate with Seamus. JJK and Holgate don't seem capable of being anything other than back-up.

...be amazed if he is. I’m sure he’ll have had offers for a 2 year deal, guarantee of football and a handsome signing fee elsewhere.

He's a home boy. Why uproot the fam if you don't need to?
20-30k each max I reckon, they both know they will be on minimum playing time.

I guess we will see in the summer when the salaries are published.

....i’d be staggered if either sign a contract for that amount.

There’ll be plenty of offers for Baines, he won’t have to move to Timbuktu. We are talking of him losing £m. Let’s not forget, his agents cut as well. Sign for a club on a Bosman and he’d pocket at least £1m, plus a 2 year deal on £60k per week.

It’s big business for these fellas, especially the final pay day.

....i’d be staggered if either sign a contract for that amount.

There’ll be plenty of offers for Baines, he won’t have to move to Timbuktu. We are talking of him losing £m. Let’s not forget, his agents cut as well. Sign for a club on a Bosman and he’d pocket at least £1m, plus a 2 year deal on £60k per week.
I just don't think there are many clubs willing to pay that kind of money for him. Defo none in the prem, he won't go abroad and which lower league club would have him? As I say, home boy with settled family, we are doing him a favour too, it's a great deal for both parties. IMO

I just don't think there are many clubs willing to pay that kind of money for him. Defo none in the prem, he won't go abroad and which lower league club would have him? As I say, home boy with settled family, we are doing him a favour too, it's a great deal for both parties. IMO
I think he's still good enough to start for bottom half of the table clubs - I reckon he'd have offers.

Absolutely no way do players reported to be on £90K (Baines) and £60K (Jagielka) take that size pay cut. It would be viewed as insulting after their years of service.

We don't know if Jagielka is getting one and I would hope Baines isn't on the same money but a drop of that size is not likely. He'll take a marginal decrease if any.

And this is where the whole 'it's a no brainer' argument falls down. We're supposed to believe both that he's still an above average PL full back who would get into a load of other sides (see many replies over the past few pages for evidence) and that he'll be on minimum wage because we're 'doing him a favour' because 'defo no prem clubs' would want him. It doesn't add up does it.

I think a lot of that is incorrect Dave.

We can park what he was or wasn't in the past because that is a matter of opinion and not relevant to what will happen in the future, you obviously don't like him , I think the majority disagree.

I think the fact that a new one year extension is being offered shows exactly the thought process towards building for the future.... in that we have an excellent first choice left back, a young player with potential out on loan and keeping Baines adds cover so that we don't have to spend much needed money on a player so they can sit on a bench all season.

This will allow Brands/Silva to spend on areas that need cover most.
That's just a tortuous route taken to justify the unjustifiable.

I like Silva and think he's a very astute tactician and is our future. However, if those two stay here then I have him joining the ranks of his predecessors who have acted like 'kin cowards over getting shut of the pair of them. Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce all failed to grasp the nettle and get shut of at least one and now Silva has gone for a quiet life by apparently agreeing to contract extensions.

A terrible terrible decision...and it'll come back to haunt him, becuase we all KNOW those two are going to come in and fail to hit any sort of heights and those people agreeing with the decision to retain them now will be first in line screaming "WTF did he hand those two fossils an extension for!?"

Mate we are not a bottomless pit of cash. Zouma, if still here can also fill in at left back. Baines was more than good enough when played this season (not that you will admit it). Jags was fine and would be last option off the bench. Meanwhile we can improve the areas that need it most.

We have a LOT of players to move on this summer, lets get them gone and replaced before dealing with these two.
How minutes did he play exactly? Remind me again.

If that's true that Everton are preparing to give those two contract extensions then I feel sorry for all those who think it's great news because it'll wind me up. It means that the club are going nowhere fast and have zero ambition.

Everton re-signing two past-it veterans. Two squad places that could and should be used to build for the future of the club.

Enjoy your "goads".

Thanks dave.

If the reports are true, I trust Brands and Silva have run the numbers and thought about all the pros and cons, and believe it makes sense to have someone like Baines as cover for Digne rather than an unknown quantity. And it's just one year. Bigger fish to fry in the summer.

Absolutely no way do players reported to be on £90K (Baines) and £60K (Jagielka) take that size pay cut. It would be viewed as insulting after their years of service.

We don't know if Jagielka is getting one and I would hope Baines isn't on the same money but a drop of that size is not likely. He'll take a marginal decrease if any.

70k and 50k last season and that was when we were entering unknown with cb's and Digne. There was no idea how much they would be needed.
It is just my opinion, but I am fairly confident both will be on completely different contracts to those they were already on for various and obvious reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.