• Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I think we're at cross-purposes.

The point was that Ajax, in an ideal world, would keep hold of their best players now, add to their squad, win the CL and become a superpower again. That is what they would really like to do. You were saying they were happy selling their players, I'm saying they won't be really, they just understand that they don't have much choice. They will therefore replace these players with younger players who are currently inferior but may one day reach the level of the current lot..at which point they'll sell them again. They never reach the promised land because they are in a perpetual state of development. What we did in 86 was very different, that was done to make the team better at the time, Ajax will be very unlikely to do that.

I've given this a bit more thought.

I suppose my view would be yes they would want to keep their team together in the same way that we would love to sign Sterling and Salah. In a world where material realities/pressures didn't exist of course they would. Or a world where we would have liked to have kept Lukaku etc.

However their turnover from their domestic league will never allow them to keep a side together which is capable of competing in the last 8 of the champions league for any great length of time. If they wanted to keep that team together they could, they could offer to match the wages they could make elsewhere and keep them, but they simply can't afford to do so.

So in the reality they face they work around it to the best of their ability. I would say (in our example) the best way to accept 7th is the best we could do would be to emulate what Moyes did (or perhaps to a fairer degree what Allardyce did) which is you buy a group of players who will never quite be the best but you keep them together and build a team spirit. You will never go much beyond that though.

What the riskier thing to do, is to say that you will constantly recycle your team. You will not have the consistency that you would otherwise have, but you will get moments of brilliance.

Unless lots goes right for us off the field over a prolonged period it's unlikely we will ever dominate a league over a prolonged period. We have never done that in our history. However we could certainly have a period of 2-3 years of success, likely see a team broken up and have to start again.

You look at what Sevilla have achieved doing this. What is it, 5 Europa League, domestic cups, super cups etc. It might not be Kendall in the 80's, but we'd all be absolutely delighted if we could emulate that! Can you imagine how many Kopite heads would be falling off if we did emulate that?

Vlasic linked to CSKA / Zenit / Italian sides

€15mil
Sports witness though ?
No way he will go got 15 m
25 m at least

Sport Witness just post the stories from other sources mostly, to be fair.
All they are doing is translating non-English sources into English. They are doing a great job with this. The quality of those sources is totally varied though. Know absolutely nothing about that Croatian newspaper: one thing they should do should be to rate those sources from high quality to total crap.

All they are doing is translating non-English sources into English. They are doing a great job with this. The quality of those sources is totally varied though. Know absolutely nothing about that Croatian newspaper: one thing they should do should be to rate those sources from high quality to total crap.

If they did that though, who's to say which is which? Some really questionable sources have been spot on ahead of the "big" names before.

How often are the Mirror right? They're a million times more "credible" than a foreign outlet but who do you believe more?

....linked with Ajax’s 22 year old Brazilian forward, David Neres.

Doubt another winger is a priority for us. Ajax look to have some talented young players, I imagine they are all well on the radar of the very top clubs.
Wonder what happens with these players if Ajax can somehow manage a CL final. They certainly haven't looked out of place against anyone this year.

Love to see us move for Ziyech, left footed can play in the middle or out wide.

That’s if we let Lookman go

I would say that he's 50M+ at this point, but I'm still not sure why he hasn't moved, yet. I remember when we were looking at Klaassen, I was hoping we'd buy Ziyech instead. He's a CL player for sure.

If Lookman goes and we replaced him with Neres, man, that would be a coup.

Except when Feyenord destroyed them.

Honestly, I don't see them getting a result in Italy.
Everyone said the same about getting a result in Madrid. Then they proceeded to smash Real and really dominated them over 2 legs. They won't be favored, but I wouldn't be surprised if they managed it in Turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.