Seventh Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only that's not the case. The Team don't do worse in the league historically that get in as either 7th or worse. Burnley is one of the few examples. And honestly, it SHOULDN'T matter. Buy the right players, have a better team. We didn't suck last year due to the Europa league, we sucked because we bought the wrong players.
So name the team that has done well? And I mean a mid table team coming 7th, don't prove my point saying a Man United or a Chelsea.

So name the team that has done well? And I mean a mid table team coming 7th, don't prove my point saying a Man United or a Chelsea.

The results

In terms of league places, three improved and eight declined. In terms of points, four improved and seven declined. So does that automatically mean Neville is vindicated and the Europa League really is a scourge for league performance?

Not so fast. Take a closer look at the eight teams whose performances declined in terms of league places. Two of them suffered a vertical collapse, but the other six experienced only a slight dip.

That would be Stoke in 2011-12 (from 13th to 14th and from 46 points to 45), Swansea in 2013-14 (9th to 12th, 46 to 42), Tottenham in 2013-14 (5th to 6th, 72 to 69), Hull in 2014-15 (16th to 18th, 37 to 35) and Liverpool in 2015-16 (6th to 8th, 62 to 60). And then there's Fulham in 2011-12, whose points total actually increased from 49 to 52 but who fell a league position.

In other words, we're talking about six clubs who -- pretty much -- stayed the same, falling an average of two positions and just over two points. I'm not sure that's statistically significant in any way.

Two clubs did collapse year-on-year: Everton in 2014-15 (5th to 11th, 72 to 47) and Newcastle in 2012-13 (5th to 16th, 65 to 41). Perhaps that is where the perception comes from.

But three clubs improved: Tottenham in 2011-12 (5th to 4th, 62 to 69), Chelsea in 2012-13 (6th to 3rd, 64 to 75) and Liverpool in 2012-13 (8th to 7th, 52 to 61). The improvement in places was minimal at an average of 1.7, but the bump in points -- an average of nine -- was significant.

C´mon!!! It´s possible... I reckon we need four victories

Still tough at this point, given a couple of teams around us have a game in hand. Agree with you, we’d probably need to win four out of our last five. Given what we’ve done already over the past three games, that would be some achievement.

I hope Tottenham puts themselves out of sight and we don’t end up playing them desperate for Champions League. That one will be almost impossible away from home if they are fighting on the final day

Still tough at this point, given a couple of teams around us have a game in hand. Agree with you, we’d probably need to win four out of our last five. Given what we’ve done already over the past three games, that would be some achievement.

I said we would come to rue that Newcastle game and was laughed at.

I think we'll do the following:

Fulham (a) - Win
Man Utd (h) - draw
Palace (a) - draw
Burnley (h) - win
Spurs (a) - loss

I think that will also be the average in terms of the sides around us so that extra 3 points from the newcastle game would have given us that vital scrape over the line.

Still can't believe we lost that game.

I hope Tottenham puts themselves out of sight and we don’t end up playing them desperate for Champions League. That one will be almost impossible away from home if they are fighting on the final day
I hope Spurs are 2 points above Arsenal before the final game, thus ensuring an Arsenal win and a Spurs defeat. Bigger bottlers than us.

I have mixed feelings about Europa League, but getting seventh might convince some of our squad (Gomes, Digne) to stick with us if any other clubs come sniffing around.

No problem being in the Europa it's the start date in July for finishing 7th that's the crap part

Thing is though the club should be more than capable of playing a 2nd string against those early round bum teams whilst giving the starting 11 an extended break.

Stek

Kenny Keane Mina Baines

Schnerderlin Davies

Walcott Siggurdsson Lookman

Calvert Lewin

That team for example only has 2 first team players in it but should be enough to get through the early rounds.

No No and NO again to 7th place. Starting in July is potentially disastrous in a tournament that no one gives a damn about except for the last 3 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.