New Everton Stadium Discussion

Technically, with the thread being "New Stadium Discussion", i dont see how there can be a problem talking about the Spurs ground, if it was in the Bramley Moore thread, that would be different. Besides, not much is going on with ours, so its keeping the thread going while we still waiting for a skip and a spade

God! We are shovelling the water out with a spade? That is going to take ages. :p

To be honest, I've always thought why don't we have a separate thread so the spurs fans can post about their stadium.

Used to get excited when this thread was bumped up only to find out Spurs can pour their pints fast.
ive been piped down already regards this. apparently it fits this discussion. im frankly sick of hearing about the new emiates build.

Now its built, and due to open, unless they have issues with it, I doubt there will be much traffic concerning it soon. Input from the Spurs lads re the inevitable delays and issues we will face will be more than welcome mind.
there will be updates, pics , videos all of spurs fans crying that they are now there and how vastly superior they are to us and the fact we haven't even seen one single drawing of our new ground and that we have at the very least 5 years to go before getting our scaled down feyornord stadium!

no

thank you

Might have been posted already, but thought this was interesting to consider:

How Much Longer Will Baseball Stadiums Be For Baseball Fans?

Mercifully we have a more advanced sporting culture, and it would difficult to get away with the full extent of this sort of corporate pisstaking here - but the extent to which Moshiri and friends try it out will be revealing
Experience with EFC, businessmen and plain old human nature leads me to believe, if they think they can get away with it they will try it on

Might have been posted already, but thought this was interesting to consider:

How Much Longer Will Baseball Stadiums Be For Baseball Fans?

Mercifully we have a more advanced sporting culture, and it would difficult to get away with the full extent of this sort of corporate pisstaking here - but the extent to which Moshiri and friends try it out will be revealing

I'm sorry, but that's a silly SILLY take on why it happens. It happens because of money. The average person in the US has considerably more disposable income than the average person in the UK. Advanced sporting culture? What on earth does that even mean?

But keep in mind, one of the examples they used in the article was the Washington Nationals. It's probably the richest area in the entire country. Of course they can price gouge people in the greater DC area. They not only have the money, it's almost a point of pride in the overall area. It's also not about the sport more than it is about the status in that particular area of the US. They used NYC and LA with the Dodgers. These aren't really your typical teams and cities.

For the EFC stadium, pricing will be designed to optimize both current and future revenue. Simple as that. That's before, during, and after the match. If that optimized price model is due to the sophistication of the average Evertonian, that's outstanding. I hope they don't take advantage of a willing fan base to spend probably beyond their means to support their club. But we shall see.

there will be updates, pics , videos all of spurs fans crying that they are now there and how vastly superior they are to us and the fact we haven't even seen one single drawing of our new ground and that we have at the very least 5 years to go before getting our scaled down feyornord stadium!

no

thank you

I'll make sure to @ you mate so you don't miss out on anything.

I'm sorry, but that's a silly SILLY take on why it happens. It happens because of money. The average person in the US has considerably more disposable income than the average person in the UK. Advanced sporting culture? What on earth does that even mean?

But keep in mind, one of the examples they used in the article was the Washington Nationals. It's probably the richest area in the entire country. Of course they can price gouge people in the greater DC area. They not only have the money, it's almost a point of pride in the overall area. It's also not about the sport more than it is about the status in that particular area of the US. They used NYC and LA with the Dodgers. These aren't really your typical teams and cities.

For the EFC stadium, pricing will be designed to optimize both current and future revenue. Simple as that. That's before, during, and after the match. If that optimized price model is due to the sophistication of the average Evertonian, that's outstanding. I hope they don't take advantage of a willing fan base to spend probably beyond their means to support their club. But we shall see.

Nonsense. London is considerably wealthier than Washington DC. It is not a matter of money, it is a matter of what Americans are, and Europeans are not, willing to accept when it comes to sport.

This is what sporting culture refers to; American sides are 'franchises', marketing contrivances for the most part, which with few exceptions have no real history or connection to their communities, and which will up and leave the instant they can extort better taxpayer-subsidised rent seeking opportunities elsewhere.

It is very different here - the level of supporter passion, commitment, pride, and custodianship is beyond comparison. Obscure fifth division sides like Luton routinely draw 10,000. It wanes slightly all the time, not least in England, but supporters still do exert real impact, especially outside of the few premier league clubs that are global 'brands'.

But even supporters of Liverpool, a vastly more corporate, tourist, and Official-Malaysian-Housepaint-Partner-oriented club than we are (thank the heavens), forced their American hedge-fund owners to back down the last time they tried even a whiff of the nonsense the article I posted describes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nonsense. London is considerably wealthier than Washington DC. It is not a matter of money, it is a matter of what Americans are, and Europeans are not, willing to accept when it comes to sport.

This is what sporting culture refers to; American sides are 'franchises', marketing contrivances for the most part, which with few exceptions have no real history or connection to their communities, and which will up and leave the instant they can extort better taxpayer-subsidised rent seeking opportunities elsewhere.

It is very different here - the level of supporter passion, commitment, pride, and custodianship is beyond comparison. Obscure fifth division sides like Luton routinely draw 10,000. It wanes slightly all the time, not least in England, but supporters still do exert real impact, especially outside of the few premier league clubs that are global 'brands'.

But even supporters of Liverpool, a vastly more corporate, tourist, and Official-Malaysian-Housepaint-Partner-oriented club than we are (thank the heavens), forced their American hedge-fund owners to back down the last time they tried even a whiff of the nonsense the article I posted describes.
That has zero to do with sophistication. That was my point.

Passion is another thing. And you MAY be right, but you are comparing apples to oranges.

Look, high school football teams in several parts of the US routinely get 10K a games and many get considerably more. College football has several stadiums that fill with 100K each week and dozens of teams all over the country that average 40-50K routinely. Many of these teams are every bit embedded into the fabric of its locality. That's just one sport.

It's all subjective for sure.

As far as wealth, it's tough to find city income per
capita stats. London is behind several US cities from the lists I've seen, but most of that is GDP based. It's clearly a wealthy town, though. But as far as countries go, discretionary income is like 28K vs 44K per capita. Its not very close.

I think it's tough to argue that the DC area and its surrounding suburbs is the wealthiest area of the US. 5 out of the 10 richest counties in terms of media income per capita are around DC. I'm sure a case can be made for smaller communities in and around San Francisco and NYC - Connecticut probably, but those are smaller areas.

I've always said our new stadium needs a retractable roof, where it will be cold and windy at the best of times on the waterfront! Would be a first for a PL club. Meis has said he isn't a fan and if Everton are more concerned about the costs then it's just a bold pipe dream.

Yep, Meis said there's "no need or desire for a full roof in football". And it's hardly that surprising the club came to that conclusion on costs. It's exactly the same conclusion we came to:

Was a retractable roof ever considered to create a full multi-use venue?

This wasn’t considered in any detail primarily because the question must always be asked as to why it would be necessary. The number of events for which a retractable roof is needed would not be great enough to offset the cost/make it viable.

NWHL is certainly a multi-use stadium (we've got permission for 16 non-football events a year at full capacity, many more at lower capacity), and we baulked at the cost of a full roof even with our budget. So unless Everton find a really good reason to have one, I can't see it being added.