Match Thread Everton v Liverpool, Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want us getting sucked in to them banging balls over the top, our full backs will be key to us keeping our shape, they don't play expansive football like every journalist will have us believe, I would have the players watching the game against bayern.

Here's a left field idea -- select a CF with a principal role just to mark van Dijk. I'm not talking just from corners. I'm talking for all areas of the pitch. Because VD is their pressure release valve. Having say DCL stationed right up next to him throughout the game will mean a massive reduction in the number of times those alongside and in front of him would be able to use the option of passing the ball back to him when under pressure. In turn that would mean less constructive play from them.

Sadly the rule (for me anyway) is that whatever fantasy scenario I could dream of happening in the derby, the exact opposite happens. Hope one of them gets carded early on? Everton get a card early on. Hope for a penalty? They get a dodgy penalty. Dream of us going 3 up and doing the "ole's", a rs sent off, a last minute Everton winner - etc etc, and the exact opposite happens. It's literally like the Red Dwarf episode where everything they do instantly happens back to them.

So nowadays I genuinely hope for nothing at all. 0-0 please.

Oh yes.. Hope we dash their hopes with a Maradona type winner
That would be my perfect end to that game, 93rd minute 0-0, 3 fouls by us, not picked up, Coleman drives a long high ball into the box and an offside Richarlson punches it into the net for a 1-0 win, I swear to god I'd rather that than a 20-0 win.

Pickford
Coleman - Keane - Zouma - Digne
Gueye - Gomes
Lookman - Bernard
DCL - Richarlison
Ideally what I would like to see although it isn't going to happen. Just can't go with Walcott and Richarlison on the wings as they don't create enough and struggle to hold on to the ball.

Just had a horrible thought - we are absolutely not allowed nice things, and certainly not allowed to have them last - think back to how amazing it felt when we beat them to 4th, only for Istanbull**** to happen a couple of weeks later.

So IF we managed to get a win on Sunday, everyone needs to be fully prepared that it probably makes them a nap to win the league or the CL.

Here's a left field idea -- select a CF with a principal role just to mark van Dijk. I'm not talking just from corners. I'm talking for all areas of the pitch. Because VD is their pressure release valve. Having say DCL stationed right up next to him throughout the game will mean a massive reduction in the number of times those alongside and in front of him would be able to use the option of passing the ball back to him when under pressure. In turn that would mean less constructive play from them.
Never understood why pivots don't get man marked more.

Status
Not open for further replies.