If Silva is sacked - who could/should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conte Wenger Mourinho Heynkes LVG all available (whether they’d be interested is another question of course). But that is the level we should be targeting if we fire Silva. There is absolutely zero point in getting rid of Silva and replacing him with another mid table loser. We seem obsessed with this idea of finding the next Pochettino and so don’t target proven quality in the hope we unearth one. Martinez Koeman Allardyce and Silva should never have been offered the job of manager considering the position Moyes had us in. None had the experience of taking a team in the top 5 and moving it to the next level. City managed this with Mancini then Pellegrini. Whilst since that Newcastle have targeted Benitez, West Ham Pellegrini, Leeds Bielsa, we went for Martinez Koeman and Silva. We have zero ambition and allied to an absolutely incompetent footballing operation it’s produced a sinking ship of a football team.

The choice of Koeman was warranted at the time. He got 6th and 7th in two full seasons with limited budget at Soton.

It has to be Benitez for me.

Literally the only mark against him is that he managed Liverpool. Admittedly it's a pretty big asterisk against his appointment, but in terms of realistic targets available he's by far the best.

• Has experience of managing at the top level, and winning trophies.
  • Has proven he can manage at all levels in England
  • Capable, if given time and resources, of building an attacking team
  • Will instantly tighten up the defence and improve set pieces
  • Will attract players
  • Is available for free in the summer

Only drawbacks I can see are whether he would take the job given his past (although he took the Chelsea job, which was pretty controversial) and if our fans would welcome him. The last thing we need after the last few years is a toxic atmosphere from the start, or if we hit a bad patch.

Literally the only mark against him is that he managed Liverpool. Admittedly it's a pretty big asterisk against his appointment, but in terms of realistic targets available he's by far the best.

• Will attract players
Only drawbacks I can see are whether he would take the job given his past (although he took the Chelsea job, which was pretty controversial) and if our fans would welcome him. The last thing we need after the last few years is a toxic atmosphere from the start, or if we hit a bad patch.
Ok. I see where you’re coming from and don’t necessarily disagree, however you may get flak for this.

Also, we need a manager to unite the fan base, and Benitez will do the opposite from the very beginning. We don’t need that right now.

• Will attract players
i agree

Ok. I see where you’re coming from and don’t necessarily disagree, however you may get flak for this.

Also, we need a manager to unite the fan base, and Benitez will do the opposite from the very beginning. We don’t need that right now.

This is the most important thing for any respective replacement. Think Marco should be given until the end of the year, but if we're talking replacements then I think it'll need to be someone from abroad with a good record. Benitez as you say isn't the answer, and nor are the likes of Dyche or Howe. I think Howe would do a half decent job (no more no less), but as you say half the fanbase wouldn't be up for it from the get go.

I'm not going to pretend I'm clued up enough to know who is doing really well in Spain/Germany/Italy, but a manager from there with a really good record seems like the most sensible bet.

I honestly don't think anyone would come into this mess in the current predicament.

It's like the Arteta shouts.

As if he'd leave City to take up a job here, where for whatever people say, a few run of bad results and there would be fans wanting his head as well.

The summer may be different, but right now...

How come we never ever get anyone who springs a surprise result or two? What is it about our club that's so hopelessly inept and accepting of utter mediocrity?! Even awful teams win the odd big game, we haven't won one in three years. That has to be endemic from the top down. Get a manager who isn't scared of anyone.

I honestly don't think anyone would come into this mess in the current predicament.

It's like the Arteta shouts.

As if he'd leave City to take up a job here, where for whatever people say, a few run of bad results and there would be fans wanting his head as well.

The summer may be different, but right now...
Nonsense Bill could ring Davey tomorrow and he'd be in the next day. Loads of coaches would take it even temporarily. That isn't an argument to keep Silva because we are only going one way with him.

You're absolutely right. That's why it has to be Arteta as our next manager.

we need a manager to unite the fan base, and Benitez will do the opposite from the very beginning. We don’t need that right now.

I don't want him for the obvious reasons that most wouldn't.

But this is the main reasonable response to any shouts for him. We are in a mess and the fanbase are miserable and arguing, and people think it's a good idea to get a manager in that the majority of the fanbase wouldn't start from the off and that 90% would be abusing as soon as we inevitably had a crap run.

Please stop and think

You're definitely right that it would cause division, and that's worth considering.

I guess Benitez is the opposite sort of risk to someone like Arteta.

If Arteta got given the job he'd have a massive amount of good will, but it'd be a risk in terms of what happens on the pitch. We've got no idea what sort of job he'd do.

Benitez would be met with a lot of hostility from sections of the fanbase, but he's a much surer bet on the pitch.

My thinking is that good results would bring with it good will and snub out a lot of the hostility. I don't think you can say that good will brings good results - look at Henry at Monaco, Shearer at Newcastle as two examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.