January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's what would make this team,someone in midfield who bossed the opposition and led weekly by example,only cost us about 90 million.
Isn't that what Marcel Brands is doing ?.. looking for new players.

It isn't as if there are only so many players of a type in football and they are not making any more.
There are always players coming through and somewhere in football around the world the next batch of superstars are coming through.. all we have to do is find them before they do cost silly money.

I agree, he messed up. His passing should be better. I don't know what it is with him. Sometimes he picks out worldies, other times he is hugely sloppy.

But Gomes' passing accuracy was lower, with a lower number of passes. And that was from around an equal amount of 'forward' passes (I don't have the numbers, just the percentages).
To be fair Gana very largely attempts safe passes while Gomes was trying to drive the team up the field as often as possible. Still not complete convinced Gomes (if signed) will be a starter in our future unless the correct personelle are found for him to support.

@Nymzee I looked up some videos of Ascacibar and seems to be the same type of player as Barrios but less risky going forward. His positioning is great but seems to dive in a lot and not much more of a passing range than Gana to be fair to him.

If Gana goes I want a deep lying playmaker that can ping the ball 30-40 yards to switch the ball in one pass making the opponents back line shift constantly and make them run an extra mile or 2 horizontally per game across the pitch.

I know they were world class and we’d never get a player of their caliber but I want a player like pirlo, schwienstager, seedorf, or xabi alonso in terms of play style. Nothing flashy just ping balls across the pitch, stay home, cover our defense, disrupt opponents going forward, and let the other CM pairing do the ground work getting up and down the pitch.

Gomes was what I was hoping was the answer but he seems to want to step forward constantly and join every attack. So imo seems like we are still in the market for a number 6 which Doucoure and Ndombele don’t seem to fit into that deep playmaker mold.

No, attacking players are subbed more often than central midfielders.
Dembele has to come off the few games he ever starts cos he's knackered or injured.

Kovavic for Chelsea comes off most games for Chelsea and he's about the same player as demebele. Doesn't mean he's always injured as well

Not saying we should get demebele either but he's boss and not always injured

To be fair Gana very largely attempts safe passes while Gomes was trying to drive the team up the field as often as possible. Still not complete convinced Gomes (if signed) will be a starter in our future unless the correct personelle are found for him to support.

@Nymzee I looked up some videos of Ascacibar and seems to be the same type of player as Barrios but less risky going forward. His positioning is great but seems to dive in a lot and not much more of a passing range than Gana to be fair to him.

If Gana goes I want a deep lying playmaker that can ping the ball 30-40 yards to switch the ball in one pass making the opponents back line shift constantly and make them run an extra mile or 2 horizontally per game across the pitch.

I know they were world class and we’d never get a player of their caliber but I want a player like pirlo, schwienstager, seedorf, or xabi alonso in terms of play style. Nothing flashy just ping balls across the pitch, stay home, cover our defense, disrupt opponents going forward, and let the other CM pairing do the ground work getting up and down the pitch.

Gomes was what I was hoping was the answer but he seems to want to step forward constantly and join every attack. So imo seems like we are still in the market for a number 6 which Doucoure and Ndombele don’t seem to fit into that deep playmaker mold.

Leandro Paredes.

Perhaps some of our strikers might look better if they got some decent early service and didn’t have all 11 of the opposition players around them set in position by the time Gueye Keane Coleman Walcott have finally stopped faffing round with it.

I seriously doubt that PSG are looking at signing Gueye unless at a bargain basement price as a short term solution.
He is a good player and has done well for us but there are lots of limitations in his play.
Longer term We would be hoping to replace him with a more balanced player.

Leandro Paredes.
Yes now that I agree. I remember him at Roma (I tend to watch a lot of Serie A also) but they tried forcing him into a number 10 role like he played at Boca but that didn’t work out so they tried the number 8 and he wasn’t the most mobile. But I did hear he is hugely successful as a deep playmaker at Zenit playing the deepest mid almost every game

Yeh regardless of our differing opinions on Gyfli, it's all compounding the issue at the moment.
Gana's seeing too much of the ball, which is bad for us, because that's his weakest point.
Leaving aside Gylfi's quality I think it is becoming increasingly difficult to accomodate him in a 3 man midfield which is why we are often overun.
His "gifts" are not sufficiently good to offset the lack of balance that comes with having him in your side.
IMO you would have to build your team around Gylfi and play him at the head of a 4 man diamond in midfield to get the best out of him , however I just don't think that he is good enough to justify that.

Status
Not open for further replies.