Old Everton Pictures

4th March 1970. Everton centre back John Hurst attempts to trap the ball as Spurs John Pratt goes flying past. -
96552462a397c843f57dfb8593358663.jpg

Chelsea 1 Everton 2 in Aug 1970 at Stamford Bridge. Everton showed they mean business for the new season by winning the Charity Shield. -
6fcf190e141b12b27e8b5454d511cb38.jpg
When you see the old photos particularly of the 1970 championship winning team and you see and recall what a small squad it was and how few players we must have used,plus only one sub, compare that to nowadays and the perfect pitches they have yet players seem to miss games for the slightest injuries, no wonder a lot of the old footballers struggle with their physical health they must have played through some pain in those days.

When you see the old photos particularly of the 1970 championship winning team and you see and recall what a small squad it was and how few players we must have used,plus only one sub, compare that to nowadays and the perfect pitches they have yet players seem to miss games for the slightest injuries, no wonder a lot of the old footballers struggle with their physical health they must have played through some pain in those days.

...good point. I will say, though, that the pitches then were far more sympathetic than now. I appreciate it was often muddy, but there was give. The pitches now are like bowling greens but they are firm 1inch below the surface. Ligament injuries are lots to do with the pitches, just like the modern boot is lots to do with foot injuries.

...good point. I will say, though, that the pitches then were far more sympathetic than now. I appreciate it was often muddy, but there was give. The pitches now are like bowling greens but they are firm 1inch below the surface. Ligament injuries are lots to do with the pitches, just like the modern boot is lots to do with foot injuries.

Its barely a boot these days.