Old Everton Pictures

Wednesday 26th December 1973, Goodison Park, Liverpool, SEASON 1973-1974, First Division

Everton 2 CITY 0 (Buckley, -seen scoring the first above – Hurst) Attendance 36,007

img_0045.jpg

Everton FC's Jimmy Husband sprints after the ball -
everton-fc-s-jimmy-husband-sprints-after-the-ball-563863746.jpg
...and slips over
That my abiding memories of that final, Jimmy (and others) but mainly Jimmy, not being able to keep their feet on a drizzly day
That and that 'kin Cliff Richard song Congratulations booming out when they'd won
Still turn it off if it comes on now...joint worse song along with the dirge

John Hurst’s flying header leaves Keith MacRae rooted to the spot as Everton seal their victory with this second half goal. Below, in a piece from Football Monthly Digest, Hurst suggests Everton are on their way back to greatness…

I occasionally come across lists of 'Great players who never played for England', a list often topped, quite rightly, by Howard Kendall, but rarely see John mentioned. Hugely underrated, he would walk into any England team of the last 10 years and I always thought it fitting that he was the last regular member of that great 1970 team to leave us, rather than any of the more obvious names.

...and slips over
That my abiding memories of that final, Jimmy (and others) but mainly Jimmy, not being able to keep their feet on a drizzly day
That and that 'kin Cliff Richard song Congratulations booming out when they'd won
Still turn it off if it comes on now...joint worse song along with the dirge
Although I was only eight at the time I remember it clearly, I was watching it round at me nan's, last 5 minutes I was inconsolable couldn't understand why we'd lost I always thought we were unbeatable.

Have to agree with The Cat about that goal - superb football from one end of the pitch to the other, culminating in a brilliant finish from Jimmy. Disagree with his comments about television in the article, robbing us of the chance to see moments like this again.
The Catt had some funny ways - his theory if teams watched us on TV that they would spot his tactics......

I occasionally come across lists of 'Great players who never played for England', a list often topped, quite rightly, by Howard Kendall, but rarely see John mentioned. Hugely underrated, he would walk into any England team of the last 10 years and I always thought it fitting that he was the last regular member of that great 1970 team to leave us, rather than any of the more obvious names.
He was that good you took him for granted - it was only when he was injured you could see what a great player he was for the team ... fans raved about John Stones imo not fit to lace Hurstys boots........
he used to burst forwards , and score many crucial goals from the back - Labbys legs too a fantastic partnership that England should have looked at........

He was that good you took him for granted - it was only when he was injured you could see what a great player he was for the team ... fans raved about John Stones imo not fit to lace Hurstys boots........
he used to burst forwards , and score many crucial goals from the back - Labbys legs too a fantastic partnership that England should have looked at........

True, except for Bobby Moore. Unfortunately, when Moore went into decline and lost his place, Everton were struggling badly in the dog days of Catterick's reign and our players, even HK, tended to be overlooked.

True, except for Bobby Moore. Unfortunately, when Moore went into decline and lost his place, Everton were struggling badly in the dog days of Catterick's reign and our players, even HK, tended to be overlooked.
He could have replaced Nobby Stiles who would have never seen that shirt anyway - if Tony Kay had not been banned for life........
or replaced yard dog Norman Hunter later.......