Everton that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
not quite right, English football across the board was renowned for hooligans at that time, we were no different. There is a reason it was called "the English disease". The rs took it to a new level though and was the straw that broke the camels back. Every hooligan in the 80s was partially responsible for us being banned, including our own.
Still not fair from our point of view. I'm not aware that any Evertonian was involved in hooliganism abroad at the time. In contrast I remember Everton fans having a friendly kick around against Belgian police just a week before a number of the rs decided that they'd rather kill opposing fans than watch a sports competition.

Given today's fashion for dredging up wrongs committed 30+ years ago and re-judging by today's more extreme and less forgiving / less accommodating / less tolerant standards and then haranguing the perpetrators, perhaps there is a string case for the club to pursue the relevant authorities, in the UK and Uefa, for loss of earnings due to the destruction our club suffered as a consequence of an unfair and broad-ranging punishment.*

Ever remember being at school and feeling furious at the injustice when an entire class were kept behind because a teacher couldn't control just a handful of morons? It is the action of a weak and unintelligent authority and breeds contempt.

*(I really must make the effort to write shorter sentences).

I see on some websites this morning that Everton will have a job to hold on to Siggurdson now .......

Everton that!

not quite right, English football across the board was renowned for hooligans at that time, we were no different. There is a reason it was called "the English disease". The rs took it to a new level though and was the straw that broke the camels back. Every hooligan in the 80s was partially responsible for us being banned, including our own.[/QUOT

Wow
Don’t recall much trouble a few weeks earlier in Rotterdam ,infact Everton fans and the police even had a footy match

I believe your memory is correct, however I don't remember saying every game involving an English team was marred by violence.
Do you not believe there was a widespread hooliganism problem in England in the 80s?

Still not fair from our point of view. I'm not aware that any Evertonian was involved in hooliganism abroad at the time. In contrast I remember Everton fans having a friendly kick around against Belgian police just a week before a number of the rs decided that they'd rather kill opposing fans than watch a sports competition.

Given today's fashion for dredging up wrongs committed 30+ years ago and re-judging by today's more extreme and less forgiving / less accommodating / less tolerant standards and then haranguing the perpetrators, perhaps there is a string case for the club to pursue the relevant authorities, in the UK and Uefa, for loss of earnings due to the destruction our club suffered as a consequence of an unfair and broad-ranging punishment.*

Ever remember being at school and feeling furious at the injustice when an entire class were kept behind because a teacher couldn't control just a handful of morons? It is the action of a weak and unintelligent authority and breeds contempt.

*(I really must make the effort to write shorter sentences).
I totally agree with you, as yourself and others have mentioned, the Everton fans in Rotterdam just a week earlier were a perfect example of how travelling fans should behave. However that was not always the case, I have seen a few threads in here with people reminiscing about the fights etc during the 80s. It was a national problem whether we like to admit it or not, and we were the worst affected in sporting terms, by the actions of the rs fans.

I totally agree with you, as yourself and others have mentioned, the Everton fans in Rotterdam just a week earlier were a perfect example of how travelling fans should behave. However that was not always the case, I have seen a few threads in here with people reminiscing about the fights etc during the 80s. It was a national problem whether we like to admit it or not, and we were the worst affected in sporting terms, by the actions of the rs fans.
I can't try to make-out that Everton fans are all saints back then - however there are fans abroad today every bit as bad as the English were in the 80s (notvas bad as the rs obviously), yet the same punishment is not metered out to them, for some reason.

Perhaps its something to do with cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.