• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought we deserved more from the game yesterday. If we had beaten Huddersfield and West Ham then things would be a little rosier today.

Need Mina and Gomes fit, then look for a CF and another CM in jan to give us options if Gomes isn’t the answer (no idea what he’s like).

Good piece by Phil Neville on Silva, reflecting on Arsenal defeat, says we have issues but too strong to struggle:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45622200

Everton fans are probably starting to realise what life is going to be like under Marco Silva - with their team playing open, expansive football, but conceding goals too.

Silva has won only one of his first six Premier League games as Toffees boss and if those results continue he is going to come under pressure, but I think they are too strong to struggle.

His Everton team are one that I enjoy watching and I still think he will have a good season - if his players can improve their finishing.

That was the difference between victory and defeat for Everton against Arsenal at Emirates Stadium on Sunday, and it is the only real difference between the two sides full stop.

Both teams play a very similar style and are at a pretty similar level. Arsenal will concede a few goals too, only they look a lot more like scoring them.

The Gunners won the game 2-0 but if you put their goalscorers - Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang - in Everton's team then the Toffees would have taken the three points because they had so many chances.

That is not a new feeling for Everton fans.

They have got some very good players, and I think they are close to being a strong team - but the reason they have been so near yet so far for the past few months is because they lack a really ruthless centre-forward.

Why Richarlison should stay out wide
I don't think Silva should be worried about his future, but a good striker can mean a manager keeps his job.

I am sure his predecessors at the club - Ronald Koeman, David Unsworth and Sam Allardyce - would agree, and it is imperative Everton address the problem in the January transfer window.

In the meantime, it has been suggested they could play Richarlison in a more central role to increase their goal threat.

I actually think that with him and Theo Walcott in the team, Everton have got genuine quality on the wings, with pace and unpredictability that can frighten the opposition.

I would hate to see Everton lose that, and I would keep using them wide in the way they operated at the Emirates.

Gylfi Sigurdsson has to be at number 10. We saw last season that he cannot play as effectively on the left, and when you have got him behind the striker you need speed around him so that when he receives the ball you have people running in behind the opposition defence.

That is what Richarlison and Walcott do so well and they showed it again against Arsenal, which is part of the reason I am still so optimistic about Everton's prospects.

Silva is not a manager you associate with clean sheets

1537771956254.png

Are Everton good enough at both ends of the pitch at the moment? Probably not, but I think the supporters still like the style of football they play.

Ideally, Silva needs to get the balance right and find a way to be tighter at the back while retaining their threat going forward, but I am not sure how many things he will try to change things there.

Since he first came to the Premier League with Hull, and then with Watford, the Portuguese has not been a manager you associate with clean sheets - and he is yet to manage one in his time at Goodison Park.

It means they are entertaining to watch, although I am sure their fans would like to see them become harder to beat because what they are seeing at the moment is a bit of a throwback to when Roberto Martinez is in charge.

At the moment they have to outscore teams to win, and while they are making a lot of chances and getting into good positions, they are missing the vital end product.

What did Everton get wrong in the transfer market?
Everton have spent a lot of money on a lot of players since they sold Romelu Lukaku to Manchester United for £75m in July 2017, but they have not replaced his goals.

You could argue that there are not many world-class strikers out there and that they are extremely expensive. You could also ask how Everton could entice them without being able to offer them Champions League football.

However, Arsenal managed exactly that when they bought Lacazette, who joined from Lyon for £46.5m in July 2017, and Aubameyang, who arrived from Borussia Dortmund for £56.5m in January this year.

I know they tried to sign Olivier Giroud from Arsenal before he eventually joined Chelsea, and another Gunners forward Alexis Sanchez was also a target before he moved to Manchester United.

But those deals did not get over the line and the end result is that Everton do not have the calibre of striker they need to lead their line.

Instead, they have a young player who is still developing in Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Cenk Tosun, a striker who cost £27m because he does not have the same quality or pedigree as Lacazette or Aubameyang.

Tosun was a gamble, while if they had signed either Giroud or Sanchez they would have been guaranteed goals.

Everton no longer have a 25-goal striker like Lukaku, of course, but that will not be such an issue if the other forward players can chip in with goals to reach that total between them.

Sigurdsson needs to contribute more, and the same goes for Richarlison and Walcott. They should all be aiming for between five and 10 goals this season.

If Tosun and Calvert-Lewin can manage a similar ratio, all of a sudden they have got Lukaku's total back.

Those goals are the difference between winning and losing games, as we saw on Sunday, but they could also be the difference between Everton finishing in mid-table and qualifying for Europe next season.

You might want to read up on a couple of tactics manuals.
But very briefly, a team that presses high was Guardiola's Barcelona for example.
I think your referring to DCL and Rico doing a lot of running around putting pressure on the backs. They succeeded at times in reducing the options so as to make it more easy for us to put pressure on the players receiving the passes, and they also succeeded in putting enough pressure on for the passes not to be pin point. And yes that helped us play better up to a point, better than at times in previous games, but there was still a lot of problems to do with what else was going on as part of that pattern of play.
But anyways, this is not a high press because the range of pressure is over too large an area.

Or you might be referring to when after a counter or build up, we lost the ball, and won it back using a high press - the attack following this is not called a counter.

The poor execution referred to is not having sufficient and effective cover even though Silva appeared to be playing a more direct counter attacking game.
To get caught out the way we did, playing these tactics, is just not on.
The system of play we ended up with was a bit of a mess, caught in between the counter and the tactics he has generally been using.
It should have been more than 2 if Arsenal were any good.
Hazard and Chelsea would have had a field day against us. Didn't watch it but they obviously came up against a better defence than ours today.

Pep's Barca was a possession-based side that pressed high. But you don't have to be a possession-based side to press. There's different ways of going about it.

And no, I'm referring to the team pressing as a unit which, for once, we did yesterday in the first half. We cut the passing options and had the players in forward positions to break. Arsenal had 63% of the ball in the first half, yet we were far more dangerous, and we didn't exactly sit back and look to soak it up, did we.

What way did we get caught?

We got caught out because Davies failed to get enough on a clearance and Kenny let Lacazette onto his right foot. Outstanding finish. It had nothing to do with pressing high or getting caught on the counter.

Their second was a mistake by Zouma. Kenny didn't then step up when Keane did in the initial offside trap, and then we know the rest with the linesman.

The last half-an-hour - well, from 60 mins until 80mins we were poor and Arsenal could have had more. After that we started to get more of a foothold but offered little threat, and the game was stretched.

But the goals we conceded had nothing to do with tactics, or full-backs pressing high. They were a combination of individual errors (Kenny/Zouma), an outstanding finish from a potent goalscorer and the official not doing his job.

Let’s be honest, you’re a bit troubled if you look at that game yesterday and blame the manager for losing.

Spot on.

I think Silva should have made a change quicker. DCL was tired after an hour and he should have been turfed off pretty much around the same time they scored.

We needed some fresh impetus and I think that was the time to put Richarlison (who'd had a quiet first half) central, with Bernard on the left. I think that's a fair criticism.

But ultimately we lost due to poor finishing from DCL and Walcott (and the general vibe of us being unable to fully capitalise when on top in games).

is it the cup game this week? would expect to see the likes of lookman Bernard mina etc from the start and get them fit for the Fulham game ( Bernard and mina )

Still unconvinced.

It's not necessarily the results that are swaying me, rather just how he.. dunno.. projects? I suppose? Like just a feeling I have.

I know the comparisons are getting old, but I can't help getting shades of Martinez about him. Bit of a one-trick pony. Still willing to give him time though like.

Status
Not open for further replies.