Confirmed Signing Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring a blue home

F32E2259-87FF-4E7D-9C14-78A67D48100C.jpeg

Went to Shaktar Donetsk in 2013. in 2014 war broke out in Ukraine. But Bernard seems to have buckled down and kept on working.

From a December 2017 interview:
Asked if Shakhtar have already tried to discuss a new contract with him, he said: "Yes. We have spoken. But it's a delicate time and we cannot rush. We have to sit down and analyse everything. I'm 25, it could be the contract of my life, of my career. Generally the contracts are of four or five years. By then I will be 29 or 30 and that is mainly why I need to give it a good think."

So basically he's been sitting in Donetsk for four years, biding his time like some count of monte cristo so he can freely pick the club where he'll spend his peak years as a footballer.

All this underlines what a coup Brands and Silva have (hopefully) pulled off. I would also expect Bernard to be massively motivated to make his mark on the Premier League this season. Hopefully for him and us he have made the right choice.

He let his contract run down at Shakhtar Donetsk back in June as he didn't want to stay in the Ukraine due to it's worsening political position as Putin is quite freely annexing the country. His agent then saw this as an opportunity to massively increase the lad's signing on fee and wages.He's been hocked around Europe mercilessly for the last few month with quite a few Top teams interested, but his wage demands were always the sticking point. When Chelsea,Spurs and West Ham turn you down due to your wage demands you know you are perhaps asking a bit too much.
Luckily our desperation meant we snapped first and we drove whatever size dumper truck full of money to his house (and his agents). Good Winger, should combine great with Digne on our left and evidence that either Richarlison or Walcott are going to play in the middle, supporting the stiker this season

Status
Not open for further replies.