2017/18 Sandro Ramirez

Status
Not open for further replies.
..yep, when I say magic, I mean a ‘that’ll do me moment’. A moment where you see something and say to yourself, he’ll do. Just talking to my lad about Harry Kane the other night, no bits of magic but winning free kick after free kick every time the ball was played up to him. That impressed me and i’m sure the England defenders were loving him for that.

Sandro might have something but he’s shown me nothing. I think he hits a ‘heavy ball’ but that’s about it. If I recall, he scored 1 goal in 18 games here and in Spain (although I appreciate many might have been as a substitute). He might just fit into a Silva team model but that would be a pleasant surprise.

Yes thats all very fair, Kane is a fantastic team player amongst his goals that he offers.

For me I like Sandro's movement when he plays on the shoulder. However he tends to drop deeper in games, this was partly due to the lack of the ball he was getting, partly a desire to please/be involved but the sum of both for me is a lack of confidence. It got worse as he went on.

I remember in the last pre season game Kevin Campbell was impressed and called him a "space hunter" which I thought was a good description but then he never showed them skills. I suppose that movement and his work rate is me thinking he has something to offer, though I would agree his finishing is erratic.

Yes thats all very fair, Kane is a fantastic team player amongst his goals that he offers.

For me I like Sandro's movement when he plays on the shoulder. However he tends to drop deeper in games, this was partly due to the lack of the ball he was getting, partly a desire to please/be involved but the sum of both for me is a lack of confidence. It got worse as he went on.

I remember in the last pre season game Kevin Campbell was impressed and called him a "space hunter" which I thought was a good description but then he never showed them skills. I suppose that movement and his work rate is me thinking he has something to offer, though I would agree his finishing is erratic.

..interesting that, I never saw him as playing on the shoulder. That type utilise the space behind the back four and tend to have a targetman to play off. He’s got a fine dig on him, I never really notice him getting behind in one-on-one situations. I’d be chuffed if he turned things around but we can’t just keep hold of these lads in the hope they do.

I think this was it, you could see his confidence slipping which was bad enough, but it was intensified when he started dropping deeper as his skills really didn't suit that approach. It also allowed him to be counted in the "4 number 10's" conversation which was a tad harsh as he wasn't signed as a number 10 but as a number 9 who'd at times operated in a wide forward position.

I have two main issues re Sandro. The first is that we may not have an option but to keep him, certainly if we expect the bulk of his wages to be recouped. We probably need to get him in the "shop window" a bit.

Secondly we ought to consider what Moyes might have done in this situation. He's the exact sort of player Moyes would have taken to Everton and probably turned around. Peinaar is a fine example of this, a talented player who'd lost his was after a bad year at Dortmund and needed a new approach which more coaching. Sandro is still a young man and has plenty to offer someone, though it is questionable whether that can be us.

I think with good coaching he still has decent attributes. He is quite quick and I think makes very intelligent runs in behind. The finishing at times is a little erratic but he works very hard. For me he's also a bit different to our other 3 strikers and that gives him a tick.

As I think @Eggs has said there is no magic there which is fair but to be an effective footballer there doesn't always have to be. There was no magic in our 2005 side that finished 4th (apart from briefly with Gravesen). Outside of Limpar the 95 side had little magic. Both sides had lots of functional players who could do a job for the team. The question will be whether Silva feels he can find a job for him.

We need to be realistic as to where we are. If everything had gone to plan, and we kicked on last season, maybe finishing 6th above Arsenal (had we repeated the same points total as the season before we would have done) then I'd probably join in with the chorus of getting rid of him as I'm not sure he is of the quality required to take us from that position to a top 4 team competing for trophies. I also think if he had that potential it would take too long to realise.

However we are a long way from that position, re-building and if Silva thinks he can get a tune from him I believe he could have a role to play. If he does so, we get to 5/6th over the next couple of years, hopefully we can move him on then, have his wages covered and a reasonable fee. That should be the plan if people won't pay up now.
Moyes would have had him running the channels chasing hoofs.

Don’t think his heart is set on being at Everton. He quickly removed anything EFC related from twitter and does not seem to want people to think he plays for us since his return. Good player potentially but if we can offload his wage it may be a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.