Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going from a terrible man manager with awful tactics and football to a fantastic man manager who plays great attacking football....quite excited about it and i am going to back him
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the defensive frailties evidenced at Watford last season. But if he is the man chosen by Brands to oversee the style of football he wants to make our trademark, then he gets my support.

Fantastic managers don't get relegated and sacked two seasons in a row.

He might become fantastic, although I think that will never happen, but he certainly isn't considered a fantastic manager by anyone but the few.

He has won a couple of crap trophies, been relegated and sacked, basically his reputation is worse than martinez when he arrived (Martinez was linked with jobs such as united, The RS etc before he moved to everton, did a fantastic job at swansea, won a big trophy at wigan of all clubs).

Basically he is a crap version of martinez U.N.O.

His defending is just at bad as martinez, but he isn't as good at setting up an attack, isn't as charismatic and genuine as martinez, by all accounts he is disrespectful to his clubs - going missing for 3 days, quiting when it gets back or as soon as the first offer comes through. I mean the guy averages less than a season at a club the last 4 years!

meanwhile martinez (forget all the bad things in terms of management) was a gentleman who respected his clubs and represented them in the correct way and actually tried to build teams.

@davek likes and dislikes this lol

Around about this time of the proceedings before a new manager is installed @MoutsGoat has provided a tactical analysis of the manager in question. TBF to him he does a decent job. I'm hopeless at that stuff. I would like to read/see stuff about the new leader.

I'm a bit confused from what I've read so far - given that he conceded so many goals whilst in England it sort of snags with the analysis I read that he focuses on keeping a tight defensive unit. I know his teams get done on the break a lot and that might be the difference he's found since coming to the PL. Hopefully we get the manager who has learned his lesson and tweaks his game plan accordingly. Really looking forward to see how he goes about getting the CM pairing sorted. He looks for a dynamic pairing with at least one a box to box player.

It'll be fascinating to se how it unfolds and who avoids the cull in this squad.

Watford also refused to bring in two defenders he wanted last season mate, left back and a centre back, both had very good seasons last year as well

Exactly. Martinez equated laziness with quality, which was his fatal flaw. That's why his Everton team looked like they didn't train He was more Wenger than Cruyff/Guardiola, and Wenger's approach has long been outmoded.

Football has reached a point where the players are so rich and powerful that every managerial appointment now represents something of a risk. Silva has shown flashes of real talent, and so I'm optimistic that this could be a good fit for him. Having a director of football with a decent track record of buying players to suit a specific style is also massively encouraging.

Spot on.

If Arsenal appt Arteta, how`s he supposed to get a tune out of Ozil, when half the time he wasn`t even arsed about putting a shift in for Wenger ?

Apart from Pep, who was given unlimited funds as part of his package, every managerial appt is a gamble to some extent.

Last edited:
Fantastic managers don't get relegated and sacked two seasons in a row.

He might become fantastic, although I think that will never happen, but he certainly isn't considered a fantastic manager by anyone but the few.

He has won a couple of crap trophies, been relegated and sacked, basically his reputation is worse than martinez when he arrived (Martinez was linked with jobs such as united, The RS etc before he moved to everton, did a fantastic job at swansea, won a big trophy at wigan of all clubs).

Basically he is a crap version of martinez U.N.O.

His defending is just at bad as martinez, but he isn't as good at setting up an attack, isn't as charismatic and genuine as martinez, by all accounts he is disrespectful to his clubs - going missing for 3 days, quiting when it gets back or as soon as the first offer comes through. I mean the guy averages less than a season at a club the last 4 years!

meanwhile martinez (forget all the bad things in terms of management) was a gentleman who respected his clubs and represented them in the correct way and actually tried to build teams.
Sorry mate. Silva may not be a fantastic manager, he's not been around long enough to deserve that attribute at the moment. But apart from that I don't agree with anything you wrote there.

He's not my choice of manager and only time will tell if he does a decent job here if appointed, but he doesn't deserve that level of character assassination. Save that for the Allardyce's of this world.

"Looked like they didn't" being the key words.

Koeman's first season (the one he "solved" our lax fitness regime) it was shown our team ran less in games than under Martinez.

An utter fallacy repeated ad nauseam.
We've been over this countless times.

Fitness was an issue under Martinez, but not the only one. My main complaint was always that he clearly spent little to no time drilling his players on shape off the ball - something which has been vital to success in England since Mourinho's arrival.

Watching City from the Top Balcony, it was evident that the attention to detail was on another level. It obviously helps that Guardiola can just go out and buy whoever he wants, but it would only be money wasted if the players weren't buying into his methods wholeheartedly. The difference between their Goodison performances this season and last were night and day. They now have players that are at their physical peak, being drilled to press and squeeze at the right times and in the right areas.

Another example would be how Gasperini had his Atalanta team playing. They were fantastic from front to back, and that was a side put together on basically a shoe-string budget.

Also, Martinez placed absolutely no emphasis at all on pressing. When we didn't have the ball we just dropped off.
Correct loosing the ball with a high line and not pressuring to get it back is tactical suicide. Peps teams press, most organised sides in the bundselgia do, The unmentionables, athletico ect good teams have good work rates for all different styles. The less time a player has on the ball the more likely he will make a mistake it’s basic really

I somewhat agree with you here - if you're a club with ambition, you look to impose your plan rather than adapt to others. That's fine.

However, the problem with Martinez was the complete reluctance to accept that Plan A wasn't working.

The top clubs and managers have a degree of pragmatism; they'll change when change is needed. Not their whole philosophy, but they'll change what is needed to make that philosophy work. Martinez didn't; he plowed on doing the exact same thing over and over again.

With Silva, I find the "another Martinez" comments borderline racist personally - the only comparison I can see is that they're both Hispanic and enjoy possession based attacking football. If Eddie Howe was coming, the "another Martinez" comments probably wouldn't be made, despite him being even more comparable to Martinez than Silva is.

I have no problem with Silva coming in at all, and for him to be given time, as we don't know whether he will be a success or not, whereas we knew exactly what we were getting with Allardyce. I'm bored of Everton - I want to see some attempt at ambition, having a plan whilst also taking chances; sacking Allardyce and bringing in Silva is the start of that for me.

Why bring Silva is showing ambition? West Ham are showing more ambition than Everton. Raff Benitiz and Manuel Pellegrini being linked. We need a big name. Most of the Fans want a big name.

Getting Silva is going to be another mistake.

If Aston Villa come up next season, they will spend big, as will Wolves - getting into the top 10 not going to be easy, never mind 7th.

When one of the top team sack their manager, you just have to look at the names being linked to the jobs. The ones linked to Everton are always managers the top 6 will never employ.

Everton lack ambition- just got to look at pre-season when we never play any of the top teams in europe for a pre-season game.
So Everton cannot play RS in the USA or Australia.

Time to be more ambition Everton, or mid table teams will go ahead of.

Koeman's first season (the one he "solved" our lax fitness regime) it was shown our team ran less in games than under Martinez.

Regardless of how much they ran, they just didn't press. The likes of Lukaku, Del, Mirallas, Barkley etc did absolutely nothing to try and win the ball back early high up the pitch when we lost possession.

Watford also refused to bring in two defenders he wanted last season mate, left back and a centre back, both had very good seasons last year as well
I'm going to assume he'll keep Baines because he wants FBs getting forward, but he'll bin Williams and Jagielka pronto.

Any danger of a source for that?

We covered 109.4km per game under Koeman in 16/17.

Struggling to find data for us in Martinez’s last season, apart from that it’s less than 109.8km per game. (found a list of the 10 teams that ran most that season, which we weren’t in, and 10th was 109.8km)

Unbelievable the negativity. Some people on here think we are Barcelona or Real Madrid. No top managers want this job. They will wait like Tuchel did until the right opportunity comes along and they come quicker now than ever. People go look at the top 6 managers before they got their big breaks.

Pep Barcelona B manager before being promoted Barcelona first Team
Mourinho Benfica 9 games and resigned then Uniao de Leira 6months, Then Porto
Pochettino Espanyol 3 seasons sacked when bottom of league then Southampton 8th position, then Spurs
Klopp Mainz 7 seasons including being relegated Then Dortmund
Conte Arezzo sacked after 3 months, Bari promotion, Atalanta resigned in 19th,Siena then Juventus
Wenger Nancy relegated after 3 seasons, Monaco won League then sacked, Grampus Eight, Then Arsenal

As you can see from above none had great cv before getting their big breaks.
Great points mate

Status
Not open for further replies.