2017/18 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
..I wonder if we’re seeing the first products of the mobile phone generation. We played street footy all the time and got the basics right. The likes of Davies and DCL might be good in the bleep tests, but they are not natural and often lacking with a football at their feet and the game in front of them.

That decent performance followed by the miss summed him up.

Got great physical attributes, strong and quick, but he strikes a ball poorly. Needs a lot of work.

They are too young to say either way if they will be good enough. There have been many many many world class players who weren't fantastic at the ages of 19-21, 23 even.

I know, but the signs so far only point to them not being good enough... you can't blame people for having opinions about first team regulars. It's not like they are used sparingly, they are established members of the squad now and thus get judged as that, harsh as it is.

I'm not a hater.. this is like Barkley all over again... I like his attitude but he is not good enough in front of goal and his decision making is terrible. People kept comparing Barkley and saying he was better than Gerard,scholes and lampard at the same age, DCL is being compared to Kane , sharp. He's not good enough and never will be imo. I don't hate him I just don't want him playing for us
Of course you are. You never gave Barkley any credit for anything and you are exactly the same with DCL. You're writing a player off who's just turned 21 a couple of weeks ago. A striker who is first choice for England U21s.

It's horrible to see how some our fans treat our young players. Luckily you only ever get to do it on an internet site but sadly there's loads like you that go the match too.

I thought he did well when he came on but that was probably down to how bad Bolasie was. That miss was shocking though, and very much in keeping with what we have seen from him until now.

..I wonder if we’re seeing the first products of the mobile phone generation. We played street footy all the time and got the basics right. The likes of Davies and DCL might be good in the bleep tests, but they are not natural and often lacking with a football at their feet and the game in front of them.

That decent performance followed by the miss summed him up.

I am a rubbish finisher myself so can't really comment. But I've always heard and kind of assumed that players can work hard in training and become better finishers. Is that true or is it mainly natural talent?

Of course you are. You never gave Barkley any credit for anything and you are exactly the same with DCL. You're writing a player off who's just turned 21 a couple of weeks ago. A striker who is first choice for England U21s.

It's horrible to see how some our fans treat our young players. Luckily you only ever get to do it on an internet site but sadly there's loads like you that go the match too.

Barkley is in a much more loving environment now, and I believe he’s very popular figure amongst the Chelsea U23 team, he’s loving life.

He really put a shift and was a huge improvement on bolasie so he deserves credit. But seriously, some of the comments in here are cringeworthy. He’s 21 not 9, he gets paid about £40k a week and when the chance came to win us a game he cocked it up pretty badly. If you don’t think people are going to be annoyed about that then your understanding of football and fans is sorely lacking.

I know, but the signs so far only point to them not being good enough... you can't blame people for having opinions about first team regulars. It's not like they are used sparingly, they are established members of the squad now and thus get judged as that, harsh as it is.

Criticism is fair enough of course it is, it's the manner of it which i find distasteful when they've been pretty much fed to the wolves due to bad transfer strategy, they've had good games as well as bad though and i think everyone to a man will agree they have been over utilised this season.

I am a rubbish finisher myself so can't really comment. But I've always heard and kind of assumed that players can work hard in training and become better finishers. Is that true or is it mainly natural talent?

..the best are usually good strikers of a football who have a picture of the goal in their mind and know where the keeper is. They tend to finish inside the post and were prolific coming through the ranks. I doubt DCL will ever be like that, but he can improve. I’m amazed if the coaches aren’t getting into his mind to think about scoring rather than just running. He at least needs to be on the front foot looking for chances. He’s decent in the air but you rarely see him attack crosses.

Not being funny, but what about him suggests this? He’s very clearly a long way short of being a natural finisher.
The fact that he constantly makes a difference?
Finishing will come with experience. He's a handful for most defenders.
He's quick, decent touch, strong, good in the air.
Personally I feel he's got all the tools to be molded into a quality forward.

Our best player despite only being on for half an hour. Bad miss yes but he worked hard and sparked the last ten.

Last edited:
..the best are usually good strikers of a football who have a picture of the goal in their mind and know where the keeper is. They tend to finish inside the post and were prolific coming through the ranks. I doubt DCL will ever be like that, but he can improve. I’m amazed if the coaches aren’t getting into his mind to think about scoring rather than just running. He at least needs to be on the front foot looking for chances. He’s decent in the air but you rarely see him attack crosses.

The way he fluffed his chance looked very unnatural. You'd expect your striker to be getting his head over that ball and hit it low and hard. The laid back leaning back ballooned shot was proper Sunday league stuff.

Shame because he had been very good till that point

It's not that, no one is jealous of our own youngsters. I realise that any comments made are a little harsh because of their age but if you look at it from the simple and logical perspective of 'are they good enough for us to push on to the next level' then the answer is an emphatic no. We rely on them too much when they clearly aren't ready. I don't blame the players, I blame the club for not having signed better players last summer and thus putting us in this position.

That's more down to the players Koeman brought in.

There's no way after being the 3rd highest spenders in the league that we should be expecting Davies, Kenny, Holgate, Beni, DCL win or boss games. Yet here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.