2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Someone planted the Barry Manilow classic Copacabana in my head early this season and I can't get it out. Cuco...Coco Martina...FFS
Imagine a Spanish dancefloor of Brit holiday makers moving like chickens to Copacabana. It's a recurring nightmare which often arose when Cuco was on the ball.

Is it only me who actually thinks after his nightmare start he's done OK the last couple of months and not let us down at left back(Runs for cover!!):)

I actually think he got worse. The Burnley game being a case in point.

At the start when he was playing against weak opposition at right back he looked okish. Since then I can't think of a player who's played so regularly who's looked so out of his depth.

He's a league one standard right back not his fault he ended up at left back but our pathetic transfer policy

Well he obviously isn't league one standard seeing as he has spent his career playing in various top flights...

It's alright to not think he is any good without going overboard.

Well he obviously isn't league one standard seeing as he has spent his career playing in various top flights...

It's alright to not think he is any good without going overboard.

He's actually spent a good portion of his career playing in the Dutch SECOND division, as well as a few seasons in the Eredivisie which is actually mid-table Championship standard, and sat on the bench in the Premier League showing he is abnormally out of his depth when he has played. He is without a shadow of a doubt League 1 standard at best.

Heard whispers that everybody at the club has been extremely impressed by him this season and that a contract extension until 2022/23 is in the offing.

He's actually spent a good portion of his career playing in the Dutch SECOND division, as well as a few seasons in the Eredivisie which is actually mid-table Championship standard, and sat on the bench in the Premier League showing he is abnormally out of his depth when he has played. He is without a shadow of a doubt League 1 standard at best.

Loads of players start lower and work their way up.

I think Championship level is fine.

I don't attach any blame to Martina. He is what he is, which is at best a Division 1/Championship level right back.

The blame lies with one manager for buying him when he is so clearly below the standard required, and another manager for continuing to pick him, out of position, when it has been clear to everyone that doing so left the team totally unbalanced. Whilst his own individual defensive performances may have very slightly improved of late, the balance of the team has remained a major problem that has never been addressed. It is no surprise to me at all that the return of a non match fit Leighton Baines has coincided with such a marked improvement in performance and results.

Just because he has played occasionally in a few top flights doesn't make him of that standard. He made errors every game he is upper League one /lower championship at best, seems a nice guy but never good enough never ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.