2017/18 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire your support of him, you obviously see a real player in there. Unfortunately, I don’t.
Macca, fair enough. I always regarded Osman as perhaps the biggest waste of a place and one of the biggest reasons behind Everton's mediocrity when he was selected week after week. Others saw things in him that I simply could not - hard as I tried.

Same thing in reverse here with Calvert-Lewin. So more than happy to just appreciate that we see things differently.

Without wishing in any way to appear to be seeking to have the final word, I like him because he's a young lad who's been thrust into a dreadful, dysfunctional team, way ahead of his readiness and then basically asked to play defensive left midfield most of the time.

I believe that, with good management, effective training and the 'luxury' of being selected in his correct position, we have another Graeme Sharp here.

Remember too, that Sharpie did not set the world alight until the team came good. And can you imagine his response if Kendall had asked him to hog the left touchline and protect John Bailey?

I can see both sides on this argument.

On one hand, for a young lad who we've asked a lot of he hasn't been too bad, has weighed in with some goals and some assists, and works hard for the team.

On the other, I think there's sometimes a tendency for some on here to talk about him as if he's an 18 year old local kid plucked out of the reserves because of an injury crisis, or a centre half that we're asking to play up front and be a nuisance. He's not though. He's being picked ahead of more senior players, and is on Premier League wages, so he should be judged the same as any other player in the team. I'm sure he'll improve as he gets older and more experienced, but in my opinion he hasn't contributed enough.

I can see both sides on this argument.

On one hand, for a young lad who we've asked a lot of he hasn't been too bad, has weighed in with some goals and some assists, and works hard for the team.

On the other, I think there's sometimes a tendency for some on here to talk about him as if he's an 18 year old local kid plucked out of the reserves because of an injury crisis, or a centre half that we're asking to play up front and be a nuisance. He's not though. He's being picked ahead of more senior players, and is on Premier League wages, so he should be judged the same as any other player in the team. I'm sure he'll improve as he gets older and more experienced, but in my opinion he hasn't contributed enough.

Lanolin, just curious: what other 'senior players' - who play centre forward - was he picked ahead of? Niasse was ostracised by Koeman and Allardyce, so he was the only choice.

And he is a young kid plucked from the reserves in reality - and not even ours, but Sheffield United's - making his Everton debut at 19 and expected to miraculously fill Lukaku's boots in a team that struggles to get a single shot on goal most matches.

It could have ruined a lesser promising player, but he's an intelligent kid and has laboured manfully whilst playing everywhere from left midfield to right wing back.

To be fair - has ANY player distinguished himself this season, apart from, Pickford? No.

But there are many 'seasoned pros' far, far worse than Calvert Lewin so far: Martina, Williams, Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Rooney, Keane, Lennon, Klassen, Ramirez, Mirallas, Besic and Magla - to name but a few.

Give the lad a break. Play him with some decent support up front and he will come good.

I think he's done well in a very poor side this season. When he plays as a striker he leads the line very well and holds the ball up etc. He hasn't quite been the goal threat we would have liked but as a side we don't create loads of chances, but when he had an extended run as a striker he did pop up with a few goals to be fair. I'd have liked to have seen more of him instead of Niasse - who seems to be much more of an impact player from the bench - as I feel DCL gives us an out ball Niasse doesn't.

Not sure on Tosun yet, but it'd be nice to see them both play centrally together for a change, as I think they could do quite well, as they're both able to hold the ball and bring others in to the game.

Any blue who reckons that he hasn't had a good season overall is wrong and, quite frankly, a bit nuts.
Reckon?

I like him and I think he's got potential, but the fact is he's a striker and he hasn't scored enough goals, regardless of age to have had a good season as a striker you need to have scored 10-15 goals

This has dragged on into an almost pointless thread now. Some see this in him some see that and some see nothing. Divide by 3 and the end result is probably neutral "an ordinary prospect who may or may not turn into a decent player one day".

It’s ridiculous to criticise a young player like this. It’s hardly his fault he’s getting picked is it!

Look at Solanke across the park. They’re same age. Solanke will get brought in gradually under no pressure, because he’s got 4-5 senior strikers ahead of him carrying the expectation.

Our kids get thrown in. If they’re not instant world beaters, they get vile abuse.

Lanolin, just curious: what other 'senior players' - who play centre forward - was he picked ahead of? Niasse was ostracised by Koeman and Allardyce, so he was the only choice.

And he is a young kid plucked from the reserves in reality - and not even ours, but Sheffield United's - making his Everton debut at 19 and expected to miraculously fill Lukaku's boots in a team that struggles to get a single shot on goal most matches.

It could have ruined a lesser promising player, but he's an intelligent kid and has laboured manfully whilst playing everywhere from left midfield to right wing back.

To be fair - has ANY player distinguished himself this season, apart from, Pickford? No.

But there are many 'seasoned pros' far, far worse than Calvert Lewin so far: Martina, Williams, Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Rooney, Keane, Lennon, Klassen, Ramirez, Mirallas, Besic and Magla - to name but a few.

Give the lad a break. Play him with some decent support up front and he will come good.
What do you mean give him a break?! I was hardly scathing was I? Saying I don’t think he’s done too badly but not really justified being first choice for a premier league side.

Niasse, Sandro, Rooney, and Mirallas could all have played at different times when he has. Niasse was only ostracised because koeman didn’t think he was good enough so that point is irrelevant, as he was always available to us, but not selected as DCL was adjudged to be better. He was picked on Saturday ahead of 2 of those, aswell as bolasie and klaassen. To be clear here i’m not saying that any of those should have been picked ahead of him, merely that they could have been. Similarly the point that he was, once, in Sheffield united’s reserves is totally irrelevant. Everyone was a reserve once. That was 2 years ago, he is now a fully fledged first teamer for us and I will judge him as such. The point I was making (quite clearly, I thought, but nevermind) was that some people do exactly what you’re doing here. Talking about him as if he’s a lad who’s earning £800 a week and was destined for a life in league one before being pressed into action in an emergency. That’s absolutely not the case, he’s probably on about £40k a week and has been a regular in our squad for 18 months.

As I said, i’m Passing comment on how good he is right now, not saying he’ll never get any better. Fact is, if Tosun only does next season what DCL has this we’ll say he isn’t good enough. That’s all you need to look at really.

Status
Not open for further replies.