2017/18 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping he is in the squad just to give everyone a lift, which is badly needed.

Surely at least another few weeks off from getting game time in the PL.

Needs to be managed ultra carefully.

Still its great news, if we had more like him we wouldn't be in this mess.
What he needs most is game time though mate.

If he played for the U23s tonight and then joined up with the squad for the reasons you said, then I'd take back everything I posted in the last hour or so.

I worry after 10 months he isnt healed properly, would hate to see the lad suffer any more injury, would rather he gets 15 minutes here and there and builds up strength etc, am I overly worrying ?

What he needs most is game time though mate.

If he played for the U23s tonight and then joined up with the squad for the reasons you said, then I'd take back everything I posted in the last hour or so.

I suppose its up to the medics/physios at the end of the day mate.

I confess to knowing nothing about this - but it just seems very early for him to be in the squad, there is match fitness as well as physical fitness.

My gut reaction was that having him in the dressing room and dugout will have a positive effect on everyone, but that we would wait a while to see him back, but if he is ready for some minutes now who am I to argue.

I worry after 10 months he isnt healed properly, would hate to see the lad suffer any more injury, would rather he gets 15 minutes here and there and builds up strength etc, am I overly worrying ?
Probably mate. I'm sure the medical guys wouldn't let him near a pitch unless the injury was fully healed.

Not an expert by any means but I think the issues now are mental, picking up a secondary muscle injury, and bringing up match fitness levels. I think he'll be alright mentally, especially having seen him the other night. The other issues will be sorted with gradual game time. He's had a behind closed doors friendly and 60 mins with the U23s and that needs building on IMO.

Medically, after nearly ten months I would say the leg is as healed as it is ever going to be.
Fitness wise , I think he should get an hour or even more, he has been running for a long time, building up his fitness over a number of months, the mental side in a fully competitive game is the acid test but that doesn't seem to bother him and there really is only one way to find out.

He needs to get back up to speed and quickly so we can establish if he’s lost anything due to his injury. If he has then it’s bye bye Seamus. There can’t be any room for sentiment here. He is a player that relies quite heavily on speed/change of direction and with him hitting 29 his days are already numbered.

Status
Not open for further replies.