2017/18 Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where has all this tapping up stuff come from?

Just because Ross knows Spurs want him doesnt mean that they have tapped him up. They may have enquired last year or the year before so Ross will know Pochettino rates him (Similar to Koeman with Sigurdsson).

Plus all clubs, including us will contact an agent to see if the player is even interested as what's the point in putting a lot of work into a signing if there is zero interest.

The same with the we refuse to deal with Spurs line. For a player who wont play until Jan, if at all this season, then will leave in June anyway, probably to Spurs, what teason would we have to refuse a realistic bid from them if it arrived. All that would be doing is putting off the inevitable for a year whilst costing us money and probably not even using the player anyway.

My take on Ross Barkley, however unpopular this will e, is that the club need to do their upmost to get him to sign a deal.

Whatever Koeman or Moshiri think on the issue (which I believe will be quite strong feelings after this episode) in all likelihood matters little, nor in truth do what fans think. What is central here is we have a 35 million pound asset that can leave for nothing in 12 months. In business, you are often expected to do things you would detest, deal with people you envy, hate or antagonise for the greater good. This is another such moment.

Ideally it would be a deal with no clauses. If not a deal with a clause at 30 million + with perhaps the carrot of a decent signing on fee would be possible, with the proviso he could leave in January or the summer.

It looks very unlikely currently. There have been one or two olive branches from Barkley though. 4 months is a long time in football. Spurs may struggle. Spurs may go off the player a little. Maybe Rooney can get into Barkley's head? 4 Months time elapsed from Schneiderlin not being for sale to being for sale. A lot can change in that time. We need to be working with Ross to get him to sign a deal.
May not be the best thing given the past couple of days ;)

Just my view this and no real information and facts to back it up.

Chelsea were prepared to pay more than yourselves so we tried to steamroll him to Chelsea.

People can call Ross greedy and selfish but Chelsea would pay higher wages than us and yourselves.

Ross and his agent have stood there ground and said no, even though the best contract was offered a few days back.
"People" may, but I'm not. It's not about money, nor does it have to be a determining factor in a 'tapping go' scandal. Much like AOC turned down 60k p/w extra from Arsenal, doesn't make him any less of a snake, fact is, he shouldn't of been negotiating prior.

I'd like him, he comes across as a decent lad to me. It's unfortunate that he's fell out with Koeman and wants to leave Everton as a result.

I just think to assume we tapped him up and told him to wait to January just to save money you have to assume the worst of Ross Barkley. He's the one with the entire picture of the situation... why would he say no to Chelsea if we were the club being underhanded to screw his boyhood club out of money?

Personally I believe the reports that say Everton refused to listen to any of our offers and that's why Ross said no.

Both can be partly true though can't they? To me they don't seem mutually exclusive. I'd suggest Spurs probably have tapped the lad up (this goes on now from all clubs including Everton) have perhaps not wanted to offer the fee Everton were looking for and Everton may well have broken off a dialogue with Spurs. For Everton to open up with Chelsea I imagine there must have been some inclination Barkley had some interest, which was called off either at medical or just before.

I don't think the worst of Barkley. I also don't think he's being deliberately underhand. If I'm honest I'm not sure he entirely grasps the consequence of his actions. Throughout this saga he has misread his hand and played it pretty terribly. I'm not sure he sees it as "screwing Everton out of lots of money" but as "doing whats fair for Ross Barkley". In truth if he felt a club was trying to screw Everton out of money you'd hope with any player they'd stop and consider whether thats the sort of club they'd want to move too. Why move somewhere if the people wanted you because you are heavily discounted?

I can't really fault Spurs here, Levy is the master at striking deals and seems to have a bee in his bonnet about English prices (which are inflated) but seems to like any skills of self reflection on his part in creating such a distorted market. I can see why Pochetino would want the lad as he could turn him into a very good footballer, however I don't think he'd be on any wish list for Spurs unless he was heavily discounted and Levy had a chance to humiliate Everton a bit and prove a point to the wider media that his approach of (selective) prudency works and clubs like Everton need to be put into their place. What saddens me is why Barkley has been so naive to not grasp such motivations and is dancing to the tune of a club who see his major attraction as the reduction in cost. I'm not sure I'd have left my boyhood club on those terms.

I think we move on. Ross Barkley is certainly not good enough to be fawning over. He's certainly not bigger than the club. To be honest it would send a terrible message to other young players at the club if we allowed Barkley to simply return to the squad like nothing had happened.

Thats very true as well mate. We have to balance any action with not undermining the manager.

"People" may, but I'm not. It's not about money, nor does it have to be a determining factor in a 'tapping go' scandal. Much like AOC turned down 60k p/w extra from Arsenal, doesn't make him any less of a snake, fact is, he shouldn't of been negotiating prior.

It happens though, we probably tapped up a few players earlier this year.

I'd like him, he comes across as a decent lad to me. It's unfortunate that he's fell out with Koeman and wants to leave Everton as a result.

I just think to assume we tapped him up and told him to wait to January just to save money you have to assume the worst of Ross Barkley. He's the one with the entire picture of the situation... why would he say no to Chelsea if we were the club being underhanded to screw his boyhood club out of money?

Personally I believe the reports that say Everton refused to listen to any of our offers and that's why Ross said no.

Personally, I believe your club have tapped him up. I believe that we should take a legal stand against you. I would not sell you a bleeding hotdog. This is a stitch up, and fair do's it's been done well, with a rat at our end. But we will get our own back, you will get Ross, and do sod all with him. You are a Mickey Mouse club with your two titles and will always remain so. We now have an owner just as rich as your own, and believe me, we don't forget, we don't forgive, and we will get our own back.......,,

Tapping up is pretty much standard practice across the game. It's the rules that are messed up and don't draw a line in the sand. It's done through third parties and agents so that there is no direct contact.

The times when clubs get annoyed about tapping up like what Southampton did with VVD is when there is direct contact between the player and somebody from the club... usually the manager. It was well reported that Klopp had been in regular contact with VVD which Southampton correctly called out as crossing a line.

Personally, I believe your club have tapped him up. I believe that we should take a legal stand against you. I would not sell you a bleeding hotdog. This is a stitch up, and fair do's it's been done well, with a rat at our end. But we will get our own back, you will get Ross, and do sod all with him. You are a Mickey Mouse club with your two titles and will always remain so. We now have an owner just as rich as your own, and believe me, we don't forget, we don't forgive, and we will get our own back.......,,
That's a dark post mate. Feels like you are threatening me personally. lol

Perhaps chill out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.