Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Davies

Votes: 136 33.1%
  • Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 93 22.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for DCL as MOTM but prior to him entering the field it was Davies and Keane.

Interestingly Gana and Schneiderlin were both poor and we needed Davies in there...

I have no idea why Kenny wasn't even on the bench so if we got an early goal we could have played him at half time at least.

Really mystified why Martina was signed...if Davies plays out of positon ahead of him and Holgate and Kenny are better...why give him 3 years.

Well take more than a couple it will take years and years

Remember by the time we do sign 5 top players if we ever do, the squad as a whole is getting older. There are many players that need replacing. Barry, Jags, Baines next etc and that all costs money

Spot on. It's not out of the question but people suggesting we're really in with a shout of top 4 are putting the cart well and truly before the horse. Our aim should be an improved points total (see where that get us as we can only focus on us) and (hopefully) a domestic trophy, hell even a final would be nice. To get top 4 we're probably going to have to beat our record points total and rely on two of last years top 6 having poor seasons. I would have expected our first european games to have tempered some people's aims with a douse of realism. Apparently not.

Spot on. It's not out of the question but people suggesting we're really in with a shout of top 4 are putting the cart well and truly before the horse. Our aim should be an improved points total (see where that get us as we can only focus on us) and (hopefully) a domestic trophy, hell even a final would be nice. To get top 4 we're probably going to have to beat our record points total and rely on two of last years top 6 having poor seasons. I would have expected our first european games to have tempered some people's aims with a douse of realism. Apparently not.

This is the problem. We can sign a top player in his prime but as we continue to build a team which takes time.. this top player in three years time then becomes early thirties and then needs replacing himself.. it's like a vicious circle. Ideally you want players all in their prime

This is why I think Everton should do what spurs do and numerous other clubs and sign mainly u25/26 players so they get more longevity and by the time you've build your squad half of them aren't then 30 and need replacing again. Otherwise your in a constant vicious circle and never have a fully top side

Where is Sig going to replace ??? and how can he be a playmaker when our forwards look naff - DCL excluded tonight!
Really haven't a clue , all can put a shift in, none can beat a man , and no width or pace, trickery on show , all good players with a decent football brain but just doesn't seem to have the right blend, still time to go, can see a few getting off loaded, McCarthy, Besic? As we need some variation in the type of players we have.

This is the problem. We can sign a top player in his prime but as we continue to build a team which takes time.. this top player in three years time then becomes early thirties and then needs replacing himself.. it's like a vicious circle. Ideally you want players all in their prime

This is why I think Everton should do what spurs do and numerous other clubs and sign mainly u25/26 players so they get more longevity and by the time you've build your squad half of them aren't then 30 and need replacing again. Otherwise your in a constant vicious circle and never have a fully top side
I fear we'll never 'have a fully top side' though, because whenever we produce a truly top class player he won't be playing regular PL football with us for more than a handful of seasons before one of the handful of the immensely rich clubs (here or abroad) will take him away.

I fear we'll never 'have a fully top side' though, because whenever we produce a truly top class player he won't be playing regular PL football with us for more than a handful of seasons before one of the handful of the immensely rich clubs (here or abroad) will take him away.

That will happen with most clubs bar the one or two elite like Barca and real

However the model spurs follow is by far the best. Signing all young players and they have all hit their peak at the same time. No oldies holding them back.

To be fair to the side, we do have a decent amount of players between the ages of 24 and 28 now in the team, with the ageing defence and how Rooney will be used being the primary concerns for me. When you couple our starting 11 with some promising youngsters, there is potential for something to develop over the next few seasons. The key part of that sentence is "the next few seasons". We haven't even started the proper europa league campaign yet and already people are talking about top 4 and the champions league. I think people want success right here and right now and that's understandable, but anyone who thinks one transfer window is all it will take is deluded. With the way clubs are spending now, you have to spend money simply to stand still and not fall behind. Catching up and then overtaking is another matter entirely.

Remember by the time we do sign 5 top players if we ever do, the squad as a whole is getting older. There are many players that need replacing. Barry, Jags, Baines next etc and that all costs money
I'm talking within 2yrs, and a lot of the team still wouldn't have reached their peak.
CB & LB will be 2 of the main positions, that need changing.

We have a number of very good young players and buying up a load more, while they all won't come through, I'm sure a few will.
Giving us a very good squad in a few years.

It'll take yearly improvements. That's what it'll take. If we continue to do that then we'll be good!

You only have to beat the team in front of you in wich we did...
We look well of the pace from normal prem fixture.. let's wait until z cars plays on a prem fixture when it really matters ..but I do think everyone is getting a bit carried away with the progress we've made .. papers talking us up because the money we've spent... is the quality really there..
I'm not so sure

Job done nothing more nothing less.A huge improvement required from here on in.Your on a hiding to nothing playing these teams.If you hammer them, people will say there only a bunch of nobodies.If you scrape past them then people will also be complaining.

Interesting that the best players were 24 or younger

Keane, Pickford, Davies, DCL

And yet were supposed to sign 27+ year olds with no resale value and no potential to be great.

Interesting that the best players were 24 or younger

Keane, Pickford, Davies, DCL

And yet were supposed to sign 27+ year olds with no resale value and no potential to be great.

Signings for the first team squad so far:

Michael keane - 24
Davy klaassen - 24
Cuco martina – 27
Jordan Pickford - 23
Sandro Ramirez - 22
Wayne Rooney - 31

Plus the signings at the U-23 level. Looks like someone didn't get the memo about signing players 27 and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.