2017/18 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
..I suppose the difference with Kenny is that he's done the loan bit and played open age football in the lower leagues. Ultimately, though, the manager has a decision to make. Davies came straight into the Premiership from age restricted football, Koeman clearly feels he won't use Dowell at this stage. I'm entirely comfortable with that because it's his choice, we'll have a better idea at the end of the season if his judgement is right.

Apparently the thinking is again from the Joe Royle thing, they feel that Dowell needs to play in a footballing side, where he is the focal point of the side. They rate him highly and think he is a special player, but they need to make sure that he is managed correctly in his progress so that he can break through. Royle actually said they'll choose the club wisely and it won't be a Barkley under Warnock situation! 'That would have never have happened under my watch!'. He said an Eddie Howe Bournemouth in the Championship would have been ideal, but as that doesn't exist they were exploring options. Both he and Unsworth agreed that Everton's first team weren't able to make Dowell the focal point and Dowell wasn't quite ready for that yet. They felt a Championship side would be better as it's somewhat out of the harsh media glare and it gives him a chance to grow as a player.

..I suppose the difference with Kenny is that he's done the loan bit and played open age football in the lower leagues. Ultimately, though, the manager has a decision to make. Davies came straight into the Premiership from age restricted football, Koeman clearly feels he won't use Dowell at this stage. I'm entirely comfortable with that because it's his choice, we'll have a better idea at the end of the season if his judgement is right.

I dont care what he feels mate. I'm more interested in what other people on here think.

We know already mate, he has finished in the top 7 of the premier league 3 seasons in succession whilst spending very little.

The clues are there if you search for them :)

if we go out early in all the cups again, for me hes a complete fkin idiot and doesnt have a clue what hes doing.
obviously if we then go on to finish top 4 he might have a clue.:D

I dont care what he feels mate. I'm more interested in what other people on here think.

..well I'm a big Dowell fan but I can also understand why managers are a bit reticent with him. He forced his way into the England World Cup winning team after coming on as sub and kept his place but there was a game when he was taken off and Ojo came on and made a big difference. He links very well with Kenny. I was chuffed with him being involved in pre-season but I'm ok with him going out on loan.

Hmmm you are of course discounting the point that RK is obviously a complete kin idiot and hasn't a clue what he is doing.

it's an easy trap to fall into.

...I don't share your viewpoint at this stage. I'm of a view the manager has to build his team and he needs to be left to get on with it. Ultimately we can then hold him to account.

This assumes that all players fit into one regime of progression.

Some players may well benefit from a move to the Championship to learn about game discipline and organisation and acquiring a competitive edge. Others have games that cant be developed by any Championship club because they play a game that is primarily about executing the excellent vision they have by bringing quality players who make quality runs into the game. And no Championship team is likely to improve their technique beyond what it is now.

Dowell is in the latter category all day long. What he should be doing is learning off Rooney how to make what he does telling more often than he makes it now. How on earth can playing with muppets in the Championship and being trained by second rate coaches be a step up from learning at the shoulder of one of the best British players of the past 50 years?

It doesn't make sense. It's a deplorable decision.

The muppets in the Championship will give him a much more competitive work-out than U23 football. He is going to play in the second flight of professional football in England which although not top flight is still a much better level of football than he has been playing. The lower leagues have produced a lot of very good footballers in the last few years. Southampton have certainly benefited from the "second rate coaches" with players like Bale, Lallana, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain been coached and getting their initial breakthroughs at senior level during their Championship & League 1 years.

David Beckham also went on to have a decent career after some regular Championship football.

...I don't share your viewpoint at this stage. I'm of a view the manager has to build his team and he needs to be left to get on with it. Ultimately we can then hold him to account.

you do know I am being sarcastic don't you?

please say you do, I can't keep up any more. o_O

This assumes that all players fit into one regime of progression.

Some players may well benefit from a move to the Championship to learn about game discipline and organisation and acquiring a competitive edge. Others have games that cant be developed by any Championship club because they play a game that is primarily about executing the excellent vision they have by bringing quality players who make quality runs into the game. And no Championship team is likely to improve their technique beyond what it is now.

Dowell is in the latter category all day long. What he should be doing is learning off Rooney how to make what he does telling more often than he makes it now. How on earth can playing with muppets in the Championship and being trained by second rate coaches be a step up from learning at the shoulder of one of the best British players of the past 50 years?

It doesn't make sense. It's a deplorable decision.

Learning in training is one thing. Learning on the pitch is another. He can learn from Rooney all day long every week in training, but it's clear he also needs to toughen up to the physical side of the game.

Good decision. Skill-wise he's ready to go but he needs to get stronger, both physically and mentally, by playing against men week in, week out.

This will be the making of him.

I don't understand this. Are you saying he can't get stronger here? Do we not have a workout facility at Finch Farm? Will he not be training against even better "men" every day at Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.