Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair, horses for courses, I just think Iheanacho is going right to the top and is ready to start for a top 6 team already. And also think Sigurdsson is a one trick pony haha. I do like Giroud though.

Get both? £50-60m for both is good business. Loan out DCL (he isn't even close to being a premier league striker yet... or maybe ever).

Rooney, Sandro, Giroud, Iheanacho - 40+ goals there easy

Problem with that arrangement is if the player is a success you know you will lose him in two years, yet he would block the way for his replacement to get game time (if you already have one that is). It's an arrangement suitable for desperate measures only.
But what's the difference from the scenario I just mentioned? Giroud et al would only be here for 2/3 years anyway, so they would also be blocking someone elses path in the short term. As I said, it's not ideal but I don't see it as the dealbreaker some people seem to.

Do you think Chelsea, City, Man Utd, Arsenal would ever buy a player from each other with a buyback clause in? No top team would entertain it.

Im not a fan of it at all tbh. I know its common place in Spain, however we now have a situation where due to Lukaku, DeBruyne etc the likes of Chelsea, City and Man u will start to insert them into deals whenever they are selling a prospect.

So they hoover up all the prospective talent, repeatedly send them on loan waiting for them to fulfill potential and when they are not quite at the level, they sell them with an option to buy back if the player turns into a star - its covering every angle and shouldnt be allowed to become common here.
Whether those clubs would do it is completely irrelevant though isn't it? We're not shopping in the same stratosphere as them so we need to do things differently. United have just taken our biggest name off us against our will, City did the same 12 months ago, and the rumours are that the 2 of them and Chelsea are circling round our next biggest name now. When you can do that you don't need to wheel and deal, but we're not at that level. If signing Iheanacho or any other player on this sort of deal meant we got into the CL and won a trophy then it would be a good deal, and would mean that when he left in 2 years we would be in a much better position to attract a replacement on the terms we want. If anyone would turn that down because it wounds their pride then it's a pretty warped way of looking at things in my opinion.

Get both? £50-60m for both is good business. Loan out DCL (he isn't even close to being a premier league striker yet... or maybe ever).

Rooney, Sandro, Giroud, Iheanacho - 40+ goals there easy

They're all starting strikers though really. Sandro I think to begin with will work better out wide, and Rooney is flexible too, but both Giroud and Iheanacho will want to start up front every week.

I wish we would get a striker in, it's been the position lacking for 2/3 seasons and now even more importantly so. They should have been in earlier than the others so the players can gel and get used to movement etc.
DCL is the only out and out CF we have and I don't think he's ready to be the main man yet.
I thought the last 2/3 seasons we had Lukaku who scored a couple of goals now and then

See I'm not quite sure I understand this logic.

Don't get me wrong, it's not ideal, but I don't really see what the issue is with effectively getting a player for free for 2 years. I mean, if we pay £20m for Giroud for example, we won't get that back in 2 years time when he's 33 will we? Same with Dzeko. So why would it be worse to pay £20m for someone who retains their value than pay the same fee for someone who doesn't?

I'm not advocating buying Iheanacho by the way, just saying I wouldn't necessarily be averse to that type of deal if we could benefit from it.
I can see your logic mate but how would you feel if we just sold Lukaku for £30m because of a buy back clause. In 2 years time the city lad may be worth £100m. Who knows?

I can see your logic mate but how would you feel if we just sold Lukaku for £30m because of a buy back clause. In 2 years time the city lad may be worth £100m. Who knows?
Its all about how you look at it I suppose. I would view it as a glorified loan, where a player could come in and help us for a couple of seasons and it only costs us his wages. If we'd found out lukaku had such a clause at the last minute obviously you'd be devastated, if you knew about it all along then there's no need to be, you just think what a loan signing he is scoring us 80 goals for no outlay.

Gylfi and Giroud would both improve the first XI and give us massive strength in depth for all competitions. Would be quite a coup if we pulled those two transfers off.

I presume with letting Pennington / Galloway go on loan and the injury to Mori means either Jags will stay as backup or leave and we will get one of our other targets in like Lemos perhaps.

Reckon Connolly and Kenny should be given a chance before we go out and sign any more full backs.

Dowell is clearly going to provide competition for the attacking positions and will probably stay now instead of going out on loan and has probably timed it perfect due to the injury to Barkley.

I'd be very happy going into the season with Giroud, Sandro and Rooney a the 3 major striking options, Lookman, DCL, Mirallas and Dowell providing competition and Bolasie upon return.

Status
Not open for further replies.