Homepage Update: £40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a bit bored of the 'Royle Family' behaviour on this thread.
Not sure what that means tbh, can't stand that free loading bunch of toffs or the show. But fair enough mate I didn't mean to sound self righteous, I am just expressing my opinion on this deal, or potential deal.

Honestly mate, I always stick up for our fans, as I know plenty of RS, Mancs etc who say exactly the same.

But no, honestly, lots of us have varied points of view and that's fine. And many - as @Tubey and some others have done - put their points across brilliantly and it's fair do's.

But we've now got people whinging that we're improving the squad.

We have money. We're not wasting it, we're getting players the manager wants and thinks will improve us (I happen to agree with him). We could potentially sign another two/three players after Gylfi for a combined £50m, and still break even by selling a few squad players.

This all day. I'm overwhelmed with this new Everton style approach I hope it's the first small steps of being a big club once again

The answer to that may be closer than many think.....

Rom: 26 goals / 7 assists
Gylfi: 10 goals / 13 assists

So Gylfi being priced at half of Rom (despite being 3 years older) is not as crazy as some make it out to be....

Rom is not the finished article,young, and a large chunk of that money is based on his potential. Same with Pogba.

Sigurdsson is what he is. He's not going to get better. He's peaked.

To me we're talking top tier level finances for a player who is good but not top tier.

That's what I think a lot of people have a problem with.

Salah is not an elite player and has only played for one of Europe's elite clubs. And he flopped there. Which is why he was just transferred from one also ran to another. None of the elite clubs wanted him.

Andre Silva had a release clause.

Beranrdo Silva could end up cost £60m and will be on about 50-100k a week more than Sigurdsson.

But this is the point. I'm all for throwing money about. But a player like Silva is worth that money - young, still got potential to be the world's best if he went in the right direction. That's an investment.

We're overpaying, but in an area of need and for a player who will undoubtedly add value to the side. Can't say that about some of the prior era purchases and in some players picked up for the future/as projects. Let's do it and move ahead.

Might be controversial of me to say this but just want peoples thoughts.

We have been critical in the past of clubs like Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd unsettling our players who are on long term contracts, (think Stones, Lescott, Fellaini, Rooney).

Are we becoming like those clubs? Swansea clearly don't want to sell him and now I hear he has refused to go on their pre season tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.