Homepage Update: Everton Agree Fee With Man Utd For Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

£75m is about right IMO.

Still think it will go higher with add-ons. Every deal seems to have done that after being reported at one fee.

Kone and Valencia needed replacing too. So who makes up for the Lukaku loss?

Kone contributed nothing.

As it stands, this is our front line:

Sandro
Lookman
Mirallas
DCL
Bolasie (crocked atm)
Barkley (future uncertain - if he goes we'll have a replacement in)

Throw in Rooney as well, with Lukaku obviously leaving.

If you add Giroud into that, we've got two proven PL goalscorers and a wide range of players in terms of style.

One thing it maybe lacks is pace, and if Giroud did come in I'd expect us to maybe be in for another 'wide forward' as well, though it wouldn't be crucial.

If we finished the summer with

Giroud
Rooney
Lookman
Sandro
Mirallas
DCL
Bolasie
Barkley (or his replacement)

as our front line, we'll be better off than we were this time last year.

Think this is the salient point that we can't lose track of. Same possibly applies to Barkley as it did with Stones previously. There's absolutely no point hanging onto players who clearly don't want to be here, irrespective of how good they are. All we can do is get the best money we can and use the money to rebuild. We did that with Stones. We seem to be doing that with Lukaku. £75m is a lot of money and the profit gives us a huge windfall as regards FFP and salaries. We were never going to get £100m lets be honest.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'd be happy if we brought in Rooney and Giroud for now given that we already have Sandro in the bag. I also want to bring in another highly rated youngster but would be happy if we held back funds to bring in the likes of Dolberg next summer rather than make the wrong choice this window.
I think it's slightly unfair to say he didn't want to be here.

My take on it is that he was fairly content to be here, but ultimately wanted to play in the Champions League and win trophies. He's been here for 4 years and we haven't really got close to either of those things so he's decided to move on. The truth is, most of our other players would be exactly the same if they were as good as he is. For all Joe from Aigburth complains about his first touch, two of the biggest clubs in the world - managed by 2 of the best around - are seemingly entering into a bidding war for him. All those who said he was kidding himself and he wasn't as good as he thought are being proved wrong. He knew the interest was there and he wanted to take advantage of it. Make no mistake, if Chelsea and United had wanted Sandro he'd have gone there too. If Arsenal wanted to keep Giroud he's be staying there not moving, and Rooney loved playing for us so much that he left at 18 and is only considering coming back on the basis that he keeps his massive wage and is no longer wanted by his current club.

I couldn't give a toss if a player loves the club in all honesty, if it gets us winning trophies and playing in the CL I'd happily take a bunch of mercenaries.

Not 25 goal there in my opinion mate. Hate to say it.

Isn't that my point? We need a quality proven goalscorer as a direct replacement.

Giroud scored 18 last season I believe.

Rooney scored 8.

Mirallas scored 5.

Sandro scored 15 in Spain.

Jim White, a man we know has his finger on the Goodison pulse, has said several times on his programme this morning that no such deal has been agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.