Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
As if after all the discussions and ultimatums Koeman was spouting, Ross wouldnt have once said 'I havent actually been offered a contract yet boss'. He spent a couple of hours with him every day. Cant believe that story tbh.

Not beyond the relam of thinking that there's been negotiations and Koeman was forcing the issue when asked, rather than there being an actual contract

I expect him to stay

I didn't think he'd been given a contract offer til very recently anyway, not sure why everyone is melting

I didn't say that.

I want to see Dowell and Kenny given game time and I want real spending on a top class GK and CBs and a couple of quality strikers.

I'm afraid we can be a club who use up and coming players regularly in game, who may or may not turn out to be good. Or we can be a club who field a team of proven experienced professionals(mostly bought in for large sums of money) . Only one of those teams will realistically challenge for a champions league spot.

I'm afraid we can be a club who use up and coming players regularly in game, who may or may not turn out to be good. Or we can be a club who field a team of proven experienced professionals(mostly bought in for large sums of money) . Only one of those teams will realistically challenge for a champions league spot.
CMwVAj1WgAA-GRX.jpg

As if he wasn't offered a contract til days ago.
Like those who believed Rooney was forced out of the club kicking and screaming.

If correct about sell to buy, (which, considering our commercial standing at present isn't a terrible model for a few seasons to build a team, provided we buy smart, not saying it's what I want but I can see the logic in it), then I fail to see how Barkley staying or going would've influenced Lukaku's situation, estimates of 30m vs 80m upwards is a big difference, 30m would get us 1 good player, 80m plus would get us 2 good and a squad player. Regarding Koeman, I do think he doesn't rate Barkley much and I don't think he's wrong completely, the lad lacks consistency and sometimes the simple thought processing of when to pass or keep the ball at times, but I doubt he'll lose any sleep over him staying or going Dave, he knows he's a useful squad player at best and a top player on his day, and if he goes Koeman will have a wad of cash to spend on another player who may be a better option, keep or sell its a win win for Koeman imo.
With the wages he'll be getting after his next Everton deal I doubt he'll be stuck on the bench too often. I cant see the board being too impressed at that if it happened.

I dont think we have to be either/or. A first team core of about 18 players is what we need:

Out of the current lot of established players I'd retain: Coleman, Gueye, Schneiderlin, Barkley, Mori and keep Robles as a #2 (Lukaku and Deulofeu will be sold, imo). Add the newer players/barely tried players: Davies, Holgate, Galloway, Kenny, Dowell. Buy 8 this season: #1 GK, two CBs, two out and out attackers, a starting LB, a playmaker.

That's what a major and ambitious reconstruction would look like.

We, of course, will get f.a. like that because the board are doing this ad hoc as per, and on the cheap as per.

I reckon it's being spun like that to save Ross some stick from the fans.
Make it look like he wasn't hoping for a club better than West Ham to come in for him.

I don't think it will work, if anything it will get worse IMO, I don't rate Ross myself and would be happy if we got a decent fee for him, but I do think the stick he has got from a moronic element of our fans is disgusting and only made the game harder for him.

Or perhaps, just maybe, we can be a club who combine the two. Fantastic young players coming through the youth system who are amongst the best in the world at their age group, complemented by experienced pros in their prime, prepared to take a chance on a club on the up looking to challenge the elite of the Champions league. Just saying.;)

Anyway back to topic. Keeping Barkley will enhance our chances of breaking into that elite group. But we need additional creative players to both complement him and challenge him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.