New Everton Stadium Discussion

I find it bizarre that anyone sees Leeds as a big club because they've spent forty eight seasons in the lower divisions and they aren't even 100 years old yet. In two years time, if they're not promoted, they'll have spent HALF of their history in the lower divisions, some of that being the third tier. They've had one good era I think. One team cities should be well supported too and they still fall short of ours.

Have a look at some of the teams who've spent more time in the top division than them, it's laughable really.
http://www.myfootballfacts.com/SEASONS-IN-TOP-FLIGHT----1888-89-to-2009-10.html
The Leeds side of the 70s won trophies and done well and played some great football
The Leeds side of O Leary got to a CL semi final
If they had won CL that year they would have been set up.
Risdale gambled it all on the CL and then financially imploded.
Dave o Learys book tells a few stories of how reckless Risdale was
They were signing Seth Johnston from Derby for a ridiculous fee
Johnson was on 10 k a week at Derby.
His agent said I'll do the talking with Risdale and try and get you 20 k but at least 15
At the meeting Risdale immediately offered 30 k
Johnson and his agent went "WHAT " in total shock
Risdale then said 35 k but that's my final offer.
Figures are approximate

I find it bizarre that anyone sees Leeds as a big club because they've spent forty eight seasons in the lower divisions and they aren't even 100 years old yet. In two years time, if they're not promoted, they'll have spent HALF of their history in the lower divisions, some of that being the third tier. They've had one good era I think. One team cities should be well supported too and they still fall short of ours.

Have a look at some of the teams who've spent more time in the top division than them, it's laughable really.
http://www.myfootballfacts.com/SEASONS-IN-TOP-FLIGHT----1888-89-to-2009-10.html
Experience shapes perception. In my six decades Leeds have been a well supported, successful club. When we played them it was generally regarded as a tough ,important game. Conversely Newcastle have won virtually nothing in my lifetime and when we played them I always expected to win ( whenever they were actually in the top division that is) Other clubs historical successes are for them to revere and mean nothing to me.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...l-consider-further-anfield-expansion-12988877

Liverpool are looking to expand Anfield to 60,000.

We have to at least match this. What is the point in going smaller than your rivals, especially your local rivals?

Let them expand - the new Analfield may have a big new stand but I think the stadium looks a bit of a mess with all those different sized stands, expensive tickets and dodgy sight lines. That's not to mention being full of tourists with cameras that desert when the going gets tough or to catch their flight back to Copenhagen. I have a feeling the plans for new Goodison are going to be outstanding form Mr. Meis with a modern multi-purpose arena designed to fit beautifully into a historic location. No wonder the Kopites are spitting (liver bird) feathers over this...it's the stuff of nightmares for them, just as it would be for us if the situation was reversed.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...l-consider-further-anfield-expansion-12988877

Liverpool are looking to expand Anfield to 60,000.

We have to at least match this. What is the point in going smaller than your rivals, especially your local rivals?

I thought they said some time ago that they had no plans to up it after the hole punch was in place. Obviously starting to panic a bit about the prospect of us at the docks and need the Red Echo to keep the whoppers quiet and keep the pressure off their hierarchy.

So Mr Meis has 'liked' these tweets in the last couple of days...

"What the [Poor language removed] do you want a retractable roof for. [Poor language removed] sake"

"Haha, let's walk before we can run. Just a football stadium designed for football would do me."

"Wembley did ok for the boxing Saturday without a roof."

"Why do we want to sink it? We want to be part of the waterfront, not hidden away from it"

Years ago a colleague who is a neutral was talking to me about Chelsea and Everton. I said to him that Everton had always been bigger than Chelsea and only Abramovich's dosh had changed their ability to go from being a club that had never really achieved very much at all to regular PL contenders. He replied that whilst he was aware of Everton's pedigree, trophies and fan base, other clubs were far more 'fashionable.'

It struck a chord with me and I reluctantly accepted that he was right, much as it hurt. We were no longer fashionable but football as an industry certainly was. We had not been fashionable for many years. Chelsea, Arsenal have the glitzy capital location. Man U and Liverpool have more league titles and European trophies - worldwide they are more famous unfortunately. We may be in their peer group domestically but if you visit Africa or Asia, most shirts on the population will belong to those clubs that are fashionable. Media coverage particularly the CL creates fashionable brands, esp. if you are competing in it for sustained periods .

There are different categories..biggest, iconic being two. To the general populous United and the RS are the only iconic clubs in the country, and it's not due to number of trophies won. They have a mystique about them, United's created in the 50s, RS in the 60s. United have the 'theatre of dreams', the Busby babes (elevated by Munich disaster), RS have YNWA, Anfield, Kop, Shankly. Instantly identifiable things money can't buy. Theres a vid on YouTube of 95,000 Aussies at the MCG singing YNWA. They have the most famous anthem in world football. In terms of brand/prestige it's priceless to have these things. (Although not at the same level as United and the RS) Arsenal had the marble halls, they have lost much of their identity since moving to a generic (albeit quality) bowl. The closest thing we have is Dixie Dean, but he played in an era largely forgotten/ignored.

Last edited:
There are different categories..biggest, iconic being two. To the general populous United and the RS are the only iconic clubs in the country, and it's not due to number of trophies won. They have a mystique about them, United's created in the 50s, RS in the 60s. United have the 'theatre of dreams', the Busby babes (elevated by Munich disaster), RS have YNWA, Anfield, Shankly. Instantly identifiable things money can't buy. Theres a vid on YouTube of 95,000 Aussies at the MCG singing YNWA. They have the most famous anthem in world football. In terms of brand/prestige it's priceless to have these things. (Although not at the same level as United and the RS) Arsenal had the marble halls, they have lost much of their identity since moving to a generic (albeit quality) bowl. The closest thing we have is Dixie Dean, but he played in an era largely forgotten/ignored.

As a club we don't publicise ourselves enough though. We should be shouting about the holy trinity, Dixie Dean, all our firsts, the school of science etc. Instead the club recently has been only too keen to instead pick up the 'best of the rest' people's club mantra. In the recent coverage of the anniversary of Alan Ball's death it was barely mentioned that Everton were his major club in his career. We've had three of the greatest British players of all time in Southall Ball and Dean yet they're barely mentioned by the club now or the media. You can't read anything without Shankly or Paisley being mentioned though or one of Dalglish or Gerrard.

Until we start considering ourselves a top club again we won't ever get there. Sadly we have a CEO who talks us down every time he opens his mouth sand successive managers who haven't believed that we deserved success because we're only little old Everton. Hopefully Moshiri and Koeman will change that.