January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing this, and it really is a fair question of course.

But what if he doesn't get injured? He's certainly not getting dropped. So we could have spent god knows how much on someone who isn't even playing.

Oh come on. We would never sign a striker in the January window for big money who never plays.

That would NEVER happen.

I do hope there's one thing that changes in future windows. Walsh and Koeman haven't signed any first team players from outside the EFL. It would help stretch their budget even further if they can make some astute purchases and not get rinsed by teams in England.
To make astute (relatively cheap) forign signings will require both men to agree and they, eventually, didn't regarding Belfodil hense RK pulled the plug.

Everyone saying we had a busy transfer window, but why don't I feel like we did? Probably more OUTs than INs. Overall happy with how it went though.

Fair enough but the quotes from Koeman imply McCarthy is in his longer term thinking, if not then Jan was the time to sell. Even looking more than one season into the future you still can't ignore Baines and Williams as they will likely still be pushing hard.

Agree with the view regarding the younger players, those not out on loan will never have a better chance to grab an opportunity if they can impress in trianing and the reserve team games

If its true that oviedo was allowed to leave for more gametime then i think mccarthy will want to leave in the summer...

Aye, but i believe @davek was saying we dont have experienced competition at full/wing back...he isnt wrong.

Personally i would have gone for pickford and left him there on loan...at least its a position we have sorted for the summer.

All im saying is that dave isnt wrong....

Dave's dropped more dung than a herd of wildebeests today mate.

Saying we're lacking top notch cover at wing back, a worldie keeper and a star striker to cover for our star striker is merely stating the bleeding obvious.

Last edited:
Stop being a nincompoop :)

Im simply saying theres two sides of the coin. My view differs from @davek but i understand his points and he isnt wrong.

He never has a point, unless it is wrong. That's why he is so bitter about life.

At the end of the day there are enough games left and we have enough quality to get a euro spot which was the aim for the season.

We have a few players who can play in a few positions, as well as the like of Kenny to step up if needed from the U23's, I really don't see the problem.

Don't be sucked into peoples irrelevant points which are just another thinly disguised attack on the manager.

Well, i also do see where @davek is coming from as the keepers (though i like joel) arent top notch + full back areas are weak on cover if Holgate stays at RCB. I think Kenny will come through but if Baines is out were goosed.

I do also agree with him on the worry about Lukaku not playing as we then lack a top forward...

So i can see both sides.

However, if before the window we knew who was out/in and we also knew that the loaned players such as Niasse would be gone in summer + GK/LB/CB/FW of star quality would come in then i think we would be quite happy.

Just need to make sure we finish the job in the summer.

I can see both sides too mate. But yes, I agree on your last points as well.

Dave's dropped more dung than herd of wildebeests today mate.

Saying we're lacking top notch cover at wing back, a worldie keeper and a star striker to cover for our star striker is merely stating the bleeding obvious.
how many teams have world class cover for their world class players? Chelsea may have spent 30m on Batshuayi but they haven't used him as cover for Costa preferring to use Hazard up front. They can't rate him that highly as they wanted Dembele. The RS are overloaded in midfield but lacking in defence and have 2 keepers i'd rather swap for wheelybins. Spurs don't really have a CF to step in should Kane get injured... City's defence, whilst expensive isn' t great they don't have any options in the wingback/fullback roles.

People worrying about Lukaku getting injured. It's a valid worry. But he's not injured.

What if we'd bought in decent cover and HE got injured? Did we need back up for the back up? And then back up for him too?

It's all what ifs.

Dave's dropped more dung than herd of wildebeests today mate.

Exactly but people are trying to argue with him simply for making those salient points.

Hence i stated that im fine to wait for the summer myself BUT i can see where hes coming from in that he wants those players asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.