Votes: 52 6.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If our expenditure in January is limited to about 30 million, then I don't think we have even spent the additional money from the new TV deal for this season, and we will still yet to have seen Moshiri invest in the playing squad.

True, I'd like to get a general idea of what would be considered a sustainable amount to spend net, without Moshiri contributing, so we could differentiate one from the other.

Martinez pay-off and Niasse fee won't have done us any favours there, and commercial revenue was down due to the poor league finishes. There seemed to be a consensus that the accounts would look bad save for Moshiri's interest free loan.

I actually don't doubt his bona-fides, and think his priority is the stadium, but figures get thrown about very easily - £100m warchest etc. It's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff to be in a position to make a fair judgement at the end of the window. Then there is FFP too, my understanding was that we had to spend in this window to take advantage of the Stones fee.

Last edited:
We've made some decent signings since Walsh came in: Gana, Williams, Lookman

It's actually the ones we missed out on that were a bit worrying (and lucky near misses) - e.g. Sissoko, seems to have attitude problems. And Gabbiadini, a striker but not at all prolific. Perez hasn't set the world alight at Arsenal....

...I don't know, Matey. That post from Esk was July and I suppose Walsh was only getting his feet under the table at that stage. You would have to ask Esk.
If that were so it should mean Kenwright should have less influence now. Anyway, @The Esk , if you could further elucidate ?

We've made some decent signings since Walsh came in: Gana, Williams, Lookman

It's actually the ones we missed out on that were a bit worrying (and lucky near misses) - e.g. Sissoko, seems to have attitude problems. And Gabbiadini, a striker but not at all prolific. Perez hasn't set the world alight at Arsenal....
To be fair he's been injured then came back and slotted a hat trick.

I find I agree but what I don't get is that Moshiri would be a willing accomplice in a situation where there is supposedly more cash than ever before to spend, and we can't spend it.

Schneiderlin + Lookman = Sissoko. If that's the net result by February 1 with a few outgoings on loan then I think they'll all be well pleased down at USM Finch Farm.

2 windows down and by July 1 Moshiri will be here 16 months. A £30m or so net outlay isn't a bad curb on spending when the natives are very restless and there is a stadium to be paid for.

I think Moshiri will be benevolent towards us but as for me I've realised that funding big sprees in advance of a £300m plus stadium move isn't likely to happen, I don't know why I didn't see that before.

Bill and Bob are used to being hung out to dry, they'll gladly reprise such roles to be there when BMD gets announced.

I can't really get my head around that though. The idea that Moshiri doesn't want to spend masses and knows Kenwright and Elstone are useful fluffers for mistakes. If he wanted that he couldn't have got two better clowns to play the role, but I am really not sure it's what he wants.

Firstly there is his words. Both directly, but also via well sourced journo's that he wants to make Everton compete at the top end and is willing to spend big. There is also, perhaps more tellingly his words post Bolasie last season where he said he was "concerned" about lack of signings. These are not the words of a man happy to have Kenwright and Elstone scuppering things.

My own feeling is, Kenwright has sold Moshiri the dream of how astute he is and Moshiri has made something of a misjudgement and trusted him too long. My own personal view is that Usmanov will come on board publically at some point and buy Kenwright out once his shares are gone. This period is something of an interim. Maybe there was a tacit agreement that Kenwright would take a back seat, which is something he's unable to do?

I don't know but something doesn't add up. You have a guy who's popped over 100 million into the club and his mate who's given us 75 million quid over 5 years we've never had within a week, yet you also have the board haggling over 2 million quid. Something doesn't add up. You'd feel at some point questions will need to be answered.

I can't really get my head around that though. The idea that Moshiri doesn't want to spend masses and knows Kenwright and Elstone are useful fluffers for mistakes. If he wanted that he couldn't have got two better clowns to play the role, but I am really not sure it's what he wants.

Firstly there is his words. Both directly, but also via well sourced journo's that he wants to make Everton compete at the top end and is willing to spend big. There is also, perhaps more tellingly his words post Bolasie last season where he said he was "concerned" about lack of signings. These are not the words of a man happy to have Kenwright and Elstone scuppering things.

My own feeling is, Kenwright has sold Moshiri the dream of how astute he is and Moshiri has made something of a misjudgement and trusted him too long. My own personal view is that Usmanov will come on board publically at some point and buy Kenwright out once his shares are gone. This period is something of an interim. Maybe there was a tacit agreement that Kenwright would take a back seat, which is something he's unable to do?

I don't know but something doesn't add up. You have a guy who's popped over 100 million into the club and his mate who's given us 75 million quid over 5 years we've never had within a week, yet you also have the board haggling over 2 million quid. Something doesn't add up. You'd feel at some point questions will need to be answered.

...I suspect some changes might take time and diplomacy. I would hope/think Moshiri knows exactly what is going on and will ultimately address it.

...I suspect some changes might take time and diplomacy. I would hope/think Moshiri knows exactly what is going on and will ultimately address it.

I think and hope so too mate. I am certainly in the pro-Moshiri camp but I can certainly see, how if this transfer window goes the same way as the summer one that there will be some serious doubters. I've said many a time, Kenwright should be nowhere near the management of this club, and do think he will start to eek away at the credibility of Moshiri the longer he stays. Many people would have the humility to sit in the background, but Kenwright lacks this, and now we are operating more professionally it is glaringly obvious how out of his depth he is when he makes himself involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.