Dyche; A Great Achievement?

….arguably 3rd greatest in terms of achievement. Royle was fantastic but in the season we won the cup we avoided relegation by 5 points and I think he had a much superior squad. I’d also have Royle as the better manager but I’d like to see Dyche with better quality at his disposal as I think he’d do well.
Definitely arguable, but I do respect where you are coming from, my point of view is in no way to diminish what Dyche has done the past 18 months, but winning that trophy in 95, as a 10 year old, made me see what my family saw in Everton for a fleeting moment: winners.

Great Everton Managers are judged on the trophy’s they win, I’ve had the great pleasure to have watched the Catterick and Kendall years but I got a bit of stick after suggesting that if Dyche keeps us up it should genuinely be considered one of the great Everton managerial achievements.

Players and staff don’t live in a vacuum, the off-field issues have to manifest themselves on the pitch;

- avoided relegation in the last day of the season but despite an obvious lack of quality in the squad a great improvement saw us moving along nicely until the first points deduction kicked in.
- players playing with freedom become uptight, the crowd becomes nervous. 8 points deducted but the reality is its cost us more than that. Rooney was saying in the week how impossible it is to manage a club with points deducted.
- shambles off the pitch, an absent owner, the conflict with the Board. The chairman passes away, the Board sacked and transitioned to new personnel. No money for January transfers.
- lack of quality in key positions, no goalscorer yet he found a way to accumulate points. He’s coped with injuries and still kept us competitive.
- through all the issues he’s protected the players and I never thought for one minute he’d ‘lost the dressing room’.
- we all have our selection issues but he’s uncomplicated and pragmatic. Defensively outstanding, players not found wanting for effort.

I believe keeping us up this season is one of the great managerial achievements in my 60+ years watching. Dyche is unpopular on here but I didn’t mind watching his team earlier in the season, defended well but got players forward and created chances. When the going got tough he’s done what he needed to get us over the line.

We’re safe, we can have the discussion on how well Dyche did.
I'm happy with how he's done... without the 8 points deduction we'd currently be level on points with Brighton and they are the poster boy of how things should be done, the best run club in the world apparently. We've kept 12 clean sheets, that's approx a third of league games if Dyche can find even a semi competent goal scorer we'll be fine next year..

Really criticized him a lot in 2024, and opened a thread to ask for sacking survey after Bournemouth, which the big majority were for. Still doubt some in-game management as well as some of his subs and line-ups. I think a lot of the critics have been righteous during our winless spell, but some also over exaggerated and bashing only.

He won me back to certain extent, because he found a way to win the 2 most important games in 2024 (Forest and Burnley), it watch not very good to watch but we did it, as well as winning a derby, after a devastating Chelsea game. All in all this over weighs the bad run for me. If we should have gotten rid of him, we should have done after Bournemouth lately.

Overall we won 65 points in 52 prem games under him, makes a 1.25 points-average, which means 47,5 in 38 games. And we won 38 points in 27 games at home, it's not a fortress yet, but still it's the majority of points gained. I acknowledge that It's a progress and stabilization to build up in the future seasons, this is very crucial. It's not overachieving, but he got us back on a level of a club as Everton 2024 is.

Still I say he has not done enough for me to be this long-term 2025 and longer manager. But I am at the point now invest 7 more m into the squad than getting another manager to strengthen the squad with players that make Everton better and any manager. It's about the club not Dyche.

Definitely arguable, but I do respect where you are coming from, my point of view is in no way to diminish what Dyche has done the past 18 months, but winning that trophy in 95, as a 10 year old, made me see what my family saw in Everton for a fleeting moment: winners.

….and there’s no way I’d want to detract from what Royle achieved. I remember the day he made his debut as a 16 year old and it was such a shame he didn’t remain longer as manager. I love the fella.

….and there’s no way I’d want to detract from what Royle achieved. I remember the day he made his debut as a 16 year old and it was such a shame he didn’t remain longer as manager.
He had board issues of his own from memory, real shame. If we had a player like Kanchelskis right now the difference in our play in the final third would be stark.

Incredible job to keep us up. Can't be having him as 3rd best manager in our history though Eggs because for good or bad "nil satis nisi optimum" is still our logo. Big Joe won us a cup and so ranks above him immediately in my mind.
The manager he has most in common with would be royal I reckon. Seen a few pundits mention the mid 90s team after the derby

Great Everton Managers are judged on the trophy’s they win, I’ve had the great pleasure to have watched the Catterick and Kendall years but I got a bit of stick after suggesting that if Dyche keeps us up it should genuinely be considered one of the great Everton managerial achievements.

Players and staff don’t live in a vacuum, the off-field issues have to manifest themselves on the pitch;

- avoided relegation in the last day of the season but despite an obvious lack of quality in the squad a great improvement saw us moving along nicely until the first points deduction kicked in.
- players playing with freedom become uptight, the crowd becomes nervous. 8 points deducted but the reality is its cost us more than that. Rooney was saying in the week how impossible it is to manage a club with points deducted.
- shambles off the pitch, an absent owner, the conflict with the Board. The chairman passes away, the Board sacked and transitioned to new personnel. No money for January transfers.
- lack of quality in key positions, no goalscorer yet he found a way to accumulate points. He’s coped with injuries and still kept us competitive.
- through all the issues he’s protected the players and I never thought for one minute he’d ‘lost the dressing room’.
- we all have our selection issues but he’s uncomplicated and pragmatic. Defensively outstanding, players not found wanting for effort.

I believe keeping us up this season is one of the great managerial achievements in my 60+ years watching. Dyche is unpopular on here but I didn’t mind watching his team earlier in the season, defended well but got players forward and created chances. When the going got tough he’s done what he needed to get us over the line.

We’re safe, we can have the discussion on how well Dyche did.
I'm sorry mate that is way too many words for Saturday night and a few beers deep. 😉 I've never been a fan of Sean and especially his football he has delivered. Then I flew home to watch the game Wednesday. Unbelievable! Did we play amazing football? Far from it, but I saw something that resembled effort. I'm still not his greatest fan, but I totally appreciate what he's doing.