Summer 2024 transfer thread.

Then we're in trouble really aren't we? given our financial position I can't see how any money can be meaningfully reinvested into the squad this summer..
We are in a huge mess. Im not expecting any players to make a real impact this summer. Probly a few free transfers and loans perhaps just to see us out another season

Doucoure at 140,000 per week is extremely bad value for money. I bet you Roma aren't even paying that amount in their loan deal for Lukaku. It will be interesting to see what happens with Lukaku, will he return to Chelsea or will it be yet another loan deal?

A very good point was made by someone highlighting how vulnerable we would become in the event of an injury to Tarkowski, especially once we have sold Branthwaite. That's why I wouldn't have a panic attack if United offered something like 50 million plus Maguire for Branthwaite.

The money could be used to sign a younger centre back like the lad at Hull, and then we would have two experienced centre backs along with a younger up and coming option.

We'd probably still have Keane as 4th choice on the last year of his contract. But we will be getting rid of Holgate and Godfrey thus summer, so we will need more than just one replacement following the sale of Branthwaite.
That's big dough for The Duke that.

Have we got enough talent to promote though? Didn't Dyche put a little dig out last week saying that we have none? Which personally I dont believe
He didn't say that at all even though the usual people will try and spin it that he did he got asked a question about whether there was anyone ready to step up right now and said no i don't think so because if i did then i'd be picking them but its been turned into him saying every youth player is awful and has no chance of making it as a pro because thats what people do.

He didn't say that at all even though the usual people will try and spin it that he did he got asked a question about whether there was anyone ready to step up right now and said no i don't think so because if i did then i'd be picking them but its been turned into him saying every youth player is awful and has no chance of making it as a pro because thats what people do.
He wouldn’t pick them though,
We all know he will pick experience over youth. Branthwaite is an expection.
And Onana and garner have been used a lot, because we’ve basically had 4 players for 3 positions and the other 2 have been injured at times.
Dobbin is the perfect example, whether you think he’s good enough or not, the minutes he’s got when you see the form for Harrison and McNeil is scandalous

That's big dough for The Duke that.

We really need to offload him and find a replacement. But finding someone that can afford him and will be willing to take him on will be easier said than done.

Should we manage to sell him, I’d be using any money received and saved from his sale on a striker tho. He’s on a strikers money and he’s pretty much playing as a second striker anyway. If you have a player on 140k a week, it should be for a striker that scores goals!

Doucoure at 140,000 per week is extremely bad value for money. I bet you Roma aren't even paying that amount in their loan deal for Lukaku. It will be interesting to see what happens with Lukaku, will he return to Chelsea or will it be yet another loan deal?

A very good point was made by someone highlighting how vulnerable we would become in the event of an injury to Tarkowski, especially once we have sold Branthwaite. That's why I wouldn't have a panic attack if United offered something like 50 million plus Maguire for Branthwaite.

The money could be used to sign a younger centre back like the lad at Hull, and then we would have two experienced centre backs along with a younger up and coming option.

We'd probably still have Keane as 4th choice on the last year of his contract. But we will be getting rid of Holgate and Godfrey thus summer, so we will need more than just one replacement following the sale of Branthwaite.
I'd love to know who will take these two

You make an interesting point re: what players at clubs such as Roma are on though!

Could be a market for some short term experience similar to how the Italian clubs do it!

Out:
Branthwaite
Onana
Gueye
Gomes
Dele

In:
Josh Brownhill (free)
Jack Harrison (£15m)
Ashley Westwood (free)
Steven Nzonzi (free)

Contract Extension:
Seamus Coleman
Ashley Young

Pretty realistic I'd say apart from Gana getting another 12 months which I'd be o.k with as Gomes and Dele will be released so straight away two ridiculous CM wage earners and Onana obviously on 100k +.

Signing Harrison full time for 15m....what sort of contract do you give him then? He isn't moving for a 3 year deal as he's still got a deal to Leeds up to summer 2028!

You sign him despite a very average season then change manager six months later and the next one dosen't rate him much. Result is yet another 28 year old on big wages just warming the bench or endlessly getting loaned out.

He simply hasn't shown enough in his season that he'd be an automatic pick under the next manager (unless it is actually Bielsa) so for that reason alone you pass him up.

Edit: Would be different story if he was McNeill's age as it would then be arguable he could still improve further but he isn't.

Never rated doucoure, terrible footballer. His goals mask how bad a player he actually is. His fan base have been out in force since the Forest game

Pretty realistic I'd say apart from Gana getting another 12 months which I'd be o.k with as Gomes and Dele will be released so straight away two ridiculous CM wage earners and Onana obviously on 100k +.

Signing Harrison full time for 15m....what sort of contract do you give him then? He isn't moving for a 3 year deal as he's still got a deal to Leeds up to summer 2028!

You sign him despite a very average season then change manager six months later and the next one dosen't rate him much. Result is yet another 28 year old on big wages just warming the bench or endlessly getting loaned out.

He simply hasn't shown enough in his season that he'd be an automatic pick under the next manager (unless it is actually Bielsa) so for that reason alone you pass him up.
We shouldn’t touch Harrison,
unfortunately if dyche is still around I think he will

I'd love to know who will take these two

You make an interesting point re: what players at clubs such as Roma are on though!

Could be a market for some short term experience similar to how the Italian clubs do it!

They won’t be easy to shift given the one remaining year of their big money contracts, but I do expect both to go and secure themselves a 3 or 4 year contract elsewhere this summer.

I can see Holgate going to Sheffield United, and Leeds were interested in Godfrey in January. Someone will definitely come in for Godfrey imo.

🤣🤣🤣
We owe 777 £160M for a start for them keeping us going. Now the sale has fallen through they will be wanting that money back to keep themselves afloat, or else the new board will be finding alligator heads in their beds.

Frees and loans on a reduced wage bill is the best we can hope for.
It's 200mil now and the sale hasn't fallen through yet.

Onyanago's been warming the bench for parts of this season so think that will translate into a few more token minutes. Same for Dobbin. Chermitti's the one you'd like to see more impact from next season but again played a bit in the first 10 games and then barely seen since.

Out:
Branthwaite
Onana
Gueye
Gomes
Dele

In:
Josh Brownhill (free)
Jack Harrison (£15m)
Ashley Westwood (free)
Steven Nzonzi (free)

Contract Extension:
Seamus Coleman
Ashley Young
If that’s what happens then we are relegated and it’s a championship start for BMD. Pointless

They won’t be easy to shift given the one remaining year of their big money contracts, but I do expect both to go and secure themselves a 3 or 4 year contract elsewhere this summer.

I can see Holgate going to Sheffield United, and Leeds were interested in Godfrey in January. Someone will definitely come in for Godfrey imo.
It's the wages though, Sheff Utd are going down, Holgate has been a disaster since going there, they are not going to match his £70k wages that he is on at the moment. Godfrey is in the same boat, bang ordinary player on massive wages.