2023/24 Sean Dyche

He’s got a gruff voice.
f3f09ffed84d8d6eef62ce532bc944d42befb927.gif

I'm more inclined to support a manager when there's data which backs up the argument. In Dyche's case, there's a reasonable amount of data which points to him having improved us and us either having been unfortunate and/or players really letting him down in front of goal.

There were no data arguments to support Lampard staying on, nor Benitez. Not that I remember anyway. Anything which is subjective, such as style of play or being someone who will "unite the fans" (still haven't forgotten that one that people were on the Lampard bandwagon for), I tend to ignore because it's just typical football fan waffle that everyone gets caught up in and is never going to be worth attaching any importance to.

If you can support an argument with facts and data, I'm much more inclined to pay attention. So the Dyche argument in a nutshell is:

• Without a points deduction (which he cannot be held accountable for), we would currently be 13th. That's not up for debate, so any arguments about him should be made as if that's where we are, because that's what he has delivered.
  • We have, for two successive seasons, been in a relegation scrap until the last game or two of the season. That's your benchmark that you're measuring Dyche's improvement on. It's open to debate how much people think a manager should reasonably be expected to improve on that in this period of time, so I won't bother expressing an opinion, but again that's the reality of the situation.
  • The data we have access to says that we have improved in terms of performances vs the last couple of seasons. It also says our results haven't matched the performances. Those, again, aren't up for debate. You can absolutely have a discussion about whether Dyche has been unfortunate or whether he is doing something as a manager which is meaning we aren't taking the chances that we are creating, but fundamentally the facts are that we have created chances to have scored more goals than we have had chances against us to concede goals, that's the first time this has happened since 2019/20 and only the 3rd time in the last decade.
Sooner or later that argument has nowhere to go, the bottom line dyche teams in his career don’t score goals it can’t just be the players. 297 goals in 303 games. They are also facts and data

A safety first manager and doesn’t know how to win games, he’s more concerned trying not to lose them, yes he can set up a team to be hard to beat and be a set piece team, though we have given up a lot of chances from set pieces too recently , I’m not that much into stats, but just going off what I’ve seen, prior to West Ham a lot of chances had start to dry up. Also we were 12th for a while without the points deduction, now 13th on goal difference with that team having a game in hand. We have 3 tough away games. By the time we play Burnley we could be 15th without the points deduction and all of a sudden it starts to lose credibility and the line dyche has us a sold mid table side.

We haven’t won since December, we’re in relegation form and the manager has to take responsibility for that

His wage doesnt matter, what matters is the wage of the fella we replace him with.
Not as long as he is here, well it's a bit shocking he's the 6th highest paid manager in the league, earning more than Emery, Moyes or Howe. Definitely there are manager to do a better job in the 3-4m span.

But sacking him now would probably mean around 10m remaining to pay off him and his staff. Either pay it once or monthly in addition to a new manager. Unless there is another clause written in his contract or maybe another team is taking him under contract.

Too much money in our current situation.

Think unless we end up in the championship,he will still be here next season,with the financial constraints I could only see a viable option of someone along the lines of a Lee Carsley,we may then see a progression from the under 18s/21s to the first team,we are a total mess from top to bottom currently and even if 777 come in I can't see things improving at least in the short term unfortunately

Someone should've come back with, "If winning isn't what matters, then why do they keep score?"
I worked for a global pharma business many years ago whose CEO was an ex-tennis professional. His mantra,wherever he went in the world, visiting various divisions and factories as well as in employee communications was always “If you are not keeping score you are only practising”.

He was a winner in tennis and business…funny that.

Dyche can only put them in position to score the goals off the pitch in training. The players have to take some ownership when they miss sitters, open netters and 1v1s (and Penalties, FML) on it.

His clubs haven't scored goals because he's always in a position of trying to make chicken salad out of chicken feathers. Cheap strikers are cheap for a reason, and Mo Salah and Mbappe ain't comin to Everton or Burnley for £30m.

Besides, who else wants to walk into this Club as it stands? We all love it, but objectively, we are a mess right now. Dyche really seems to like being here, and his players love him, and he loves them back. Let him cook, as the kids say.

Dyche can only put them in position to score the goals off the pitch in training. The players have to take some ownership when they miss sitters, open netters and 1v1s (and Penalties, FML) on it.

His clubs haven't scored goals because he's always in a position of trying to make chicken salad out of chicken feathers. Cheap strikers are cheap for a reason, and Mo Salah and Mbappe ain't comin to Everton or Burnley for £30m.

Besides, who else wants to walk into this Club as it stands? We all love it, but objectively, we are a mess right now. Dyche really seems to like being here, and his players love him, and he loves them back. Let him cook, as the kids say.

But I keep getting told that DCL is an elite striker?