777 Partners - Revised Poll Added 07/05/2024

Revised Polling options on who wants a 777 takeover

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

All commercially borrowed money in football is around 8-10% interest, higher in the event that a club could default.

If you or I buy a house we take a mortgage against the property. You pay a deposit which de-risks the loan for the bank, and if we don't pay the bank can simply sell the house and cover the loan. As the risk is low so are the interest rates.

With a football club the risk is much higher. Yes a stadium is our home but in the event we don't pay our mortgage and the banks take the club what is the resale market? There is none. So people won't lend.

As it is we already have debt secured against the property the club own, and the future income streams. We are also a few hundred £ away from completion of the stadium. It is why I am increasingly less bothered about the games, there are far bigger battles ahead. I see administration and relegation as inevitable but strangely I'm actually more optimistic in that situation that we get a much better owner and build back better.

That sentence doesn’t make any sense though because “toxic debt” is about the debtor not the creditor- it’s about ability to repay. Everton might be 777’s toxic debt (arguably are) but not the other way around.

Financing the stadium was always going to involve taking on debt so while the debt level will be a concern, no buyer could reasonably expect to buy a club with a new 800m stadium cheap and debt free. The identity of the creditors is fairly unimportant, whoever it is any buyer coming in should intend to repay or refinance it.

Not according to Moshiri’s own words last year. “I can finish it myself” were his words to the FAB on the stadium.

I agree, you would need someone who could write blank cheques just to get rid of it, would be a nightmare
Obviously whoever comes in is going to need a fair amount of cash behind them. But you don't get 800m sports stadiums for nothing so whoever comes in should be willing to pay off a fair amount of the debt to get the finances somewhat on track.

Toxic would be covenants that include:

1. Debt to be paid in full in the event of a change in control (though a new buyer would probably want to refinance anyway).
2. Large penalties for early prepayment (making the cost to refinance very high).

I'm sure there are others, but the amount and the rate aren't that big of a deal. The debt was needed to finish the stadium and keep the lights on. The rate can be refinanced, subject to the above.

Not according to Moshiri’s own words last year. “I can finish it myself” were his words to the FAB on the stadium.
Fair enough, although we know that likely wasn't true when he said it. As soon as Russia invaded Ukraine the possibility of us moving into a stadium without external debt disappeared. Even if Moshiri had funded it that would be reflected in the sale price, so either way any potential buyer would need to pay him or the external debt providers.

Fair enough, although we know that likely wasn't true when he said it. As soon as Russia invaded Ukraine the possibility of us moving into a stadium without external debt disappeared. Even if Moshiri had funded it that would be reflected in the sale price, so either way any potential buyer would need to pay him or the external debt providers.

That was a year after Russia invaded Ukraine.