2023/24 Sean Dyche

We desperately need some pace/players who can pass a ball forward with conviction.

Can see why they wanted Gnonto.

Keep saying it, but we have nothing from full back areas - neither are supplying goals, and no pace at all on the wing. Even with Doucoure back in there, we're relying on a bit of chaos because there's no composure there and all that is trying to supply a striker devoid of confidence, with a replacement strikers (£45m worth) not the right profile for how we're best setup to scrounge enough points to stay up.

Agreed. Don't see the point in Mykolenko overlapping McNeil, both too slow. They need a third player to make that work.

Same idea though slightly different on the other side, Young too slow, Godfrey not able to put a cross in.

But that's the point that I don't understand some fans don't get

We were never at risk of relegation when we appointed that smug git and he should never have been at the club in the first place. On top of that we were, compared to now, relatively stable where fans including myself could hope for and discuss all day long better options and a path to improvement on the pitch in style and competitiveness

However right now we are the biggest mess of a club in the league, have players who have turned in some of the worst and weakest performances I've seen in the last 3yrs and have barely scraped survival with a game to spare two seasons in a row.

You are damn right fans are embracing a manager that has 30 points in February and even with a 10pt deduction has us looking like we will have enough to stay up.

It's a totally different scenario and one we haven't been in for 20yrs.

I agree that it's where we are now but we can't move into the new stadium playing like this at home.

We desperately need some pace/players who can pass a ball forward with conviction.

Can see why they wanted Gnonto.

Keep saying it, but we have nothing from full back areas - neither are supplying goals, and no pace at all on the wing. Even with Doucoure back in there, we're relying on a bit of chaos because there's no composure there and all that is trying to supply a striker devoid of confidence, with a replacement strikers (£45m worth) not the right profile for how we're best setup to scrounge enough points to stay up.
For me thats down to the instruction and tactics from the manager not the quality of player, our wingers go inside and very rare we have the FBs overlapping.

Dyche needs to be brave and act positively. Last night was painful.for long parts and everyone could see a change was needed at half time. I'd like to see Dobbin getting more time. We desperately need more direct attacking ability.

But that's the point that I don't understand some fans don't get

We were never at risk of relegation when we appointed that smug git and he should never have been at the club in the first place. On top of that we were, compared to now, relatively stable where fans including myself could hope for and discuss all day long better options and a path to improvement on the pitch in style and competitiveness

However right now we are the biggest mess of a club in the league, have players who have turned in some of the worst and weakest performances I've seen in the last 3yrs and have barely scraped survival with a game to spare two seasons in a row.

You are damn right fans are embracing a manager that has 30 points in February and even with a 10pt deduction has us looking like we will have enough to stay up.

It's a totally different scenario and one we haven't been in for 20yrs.
Yeah the idea that we should be playing great football with the state we're in just because we've got a bit of a decent history is so detached from reality.

And it's going to get worse, because Onana and Branthwaite's sales won't be reinvested

It's amazing how we stopped hoofing it up the pitch once we put a midfielder on who can actually pass. Tarkowski's diagonals aren't hoofing it.

I wonder if Dyche's instructions to Onana were "hey, forget everything we practice and everything I know about football. I want you to stop hoofing it up the pitch and start passing to feet."

Agreed. Don't see the point in Mykolenko overlapping McNeil, both too slow. They need a third player to make that work.

Same idea though slightly different on the other side, Young too slow, Godfrey not able to put a cross in.
Yeah, and this is where you need more than just sitting in and winning the ball back, or pressing high in Doucoure's case, from your midfield. There is no plan going forward and that's the cause for concern. No patterns of play, just hopeful second balls and percentages. There's not enough technical ability in there. You can say Garner has a bit but he doesn't really show it enough in the final third. Gana isn't good enough on the ball. Onana the same, though he's not terrible technically, he doesn't get involved enough or link up play. Lots of improvement needed both tactically and in the side and we know that's not coming any time soon. It's important to be picking up points at the moment and it is a shame that has to be our priority, because it's really ugly to watch and turning off a lot people.

….definitely not tongue in cheek, I’ve been really impressed with how he sets this team up and gives us a chance of winning games. There’s a stereotype of his teams playing hoof ball, of him having favourites, on players being ‘Dyche fit’ but lots of the time I don’t mind watching his Everton.

He manages to cope with key players being out and he encourages players to get forward. There was a point in the first half at City where we had 4 players in the box when we broke down the right. He has to deal with the lack of quality in the top third, wide players without the ability to go past opposition players.

We struggle against the poorer teams who sit in because we haven’t got the talent to score or create from nothing, yet we still had enough chances to win last night. Apparently only one team has conceded less than us from open play, that’s an impressive testament to him and even last night it took a worldly for Palace to score.

I’d actually like to see Dyche working with an effective DoF who provides him with the attacking ammunition we need. We’re lucky to have Dyche at this time.
Good players would be wasted on Dyche. We would either never see them or he would stamp out all that is good in their game. He would pick a player like Young or Harrison over a Saka if he had him at his disposal. We could sign Zidane in his pomp tomorrow and he'd still pick Doucoure. Beto is raw and needs to learn a lot but anyone who has ever seen him play before knows that he is not a back to goal striker, but give him a pass along the ground to run onto and he can be lethal. So Sean of the Jurassic just has us leathering the ball to his head.

What terrifies me is that the more entrenched he becomes, the more say he will get on recruitment. If we stay up, we will likely sell Onana and Branthwaite. Good luck replacing them. I suspect we will see the famed Everton dip in quality in the few areas we are okay in.

I agree that it's where we are now but we can't move into the new stadium playing like this at home.

Well that will all depend on where the club is at in the summer before we go to our new home, assuming we are still in Prem.

If we miraculously look relatively stable and new owners are at least able to fund some change in the squad then it would be harsh on the man who kept us up during this depressing period but I think there would be plenty support for a change to have a fresh and more positive start in a new era.

However if the financial reality means we are still hamstrung, and we do things like mentioned above selling assets like Branthwaite and not really reinvesting in the squad then despite our desire for decent football and a better manager to kick off life in our new stadium we may very well be best off staying with the guy who can keep us up again.

Right now major change at the club is not going to happen on the pitch, it is all the off the field stuff that somehow needs to start changing for the better before we can move out of this period

It's amazing how we stopped hoofing it up the pitch once we put a midfielder on who can actually pass. Tarkowski's diagonals aren't hoofing it.

I wonder if Dyche's instructions to Onana were "hey, forget everything we practice and everything I know about football. I want you to stop hoofing it up the pitch and start passing to feet."

Our best form this season is with Onana and Garner in midfield with Doucoure ahead of them and Harrison McNeil out wide. Gueye is terrible on the ball and we just can’t knit anything together when he is on the pitch. As soon as we move away from these starters in that formation we have problems.

Good players would be wasted on Dyche. We would either never see them or he would stamp out all that is good in their game. He would pick a player like Young or Harrison over a Saka if he had him at his disposal. We could sign Zidane in his pomp tomorrow and he'd still pick Doucoure. Beto is raw and needs to learn a lot but anyone who has ever seen him play before knows that he is not a back to goal striker, but give him a pass along the ground to run onto and he can be lethal. So Sean of the Jurassic just has us leathering the ball to his head.

What terrifies me is that the more entrenched he becomes, the more say he will get on recruitment. If we stay up, we will likely sell Onana and Branthwaite. Good luck replacing them. I suspect we will see the famed Everton dip in quality in the few areas we are okay in.

…sorry but I think that’s absolute nonsense.

….definitely not tongue in cheek, I’ve been really impressed with how he sets this team up and gives us a chance of winning games. There’s a stereotype of his teams playing hoof ball, of him having favourites, on players being ‘Dyche fit’ but lots of the time I don’t mind watching his Everton.

He manages to cope with key players being out and he encourages players to get forward. There was a point in the first half at City where we had 4 players in the box when we broke down the right. He has to deal with the lack of quality in the top third, wide players without the ability to go past opposition players.

We struggle against the poorer teams who sit in because we haven’t got the talent to score or create from nothing, yet we still had enough chances to win last night. Apparently only one team has conceded less than us from open play, that’s an impressive testament to him and even last night it took a worldly for Palace to score.

I’d actually like to see Dyche working with an effective DoF who provides him with the attacking ammunition we need. We’re lucky to have Dyche at this time.
I think that the one thing we will agree upon on this subject eggs is that Dyche is probably the best manager to keep us in the division with no investment in the team.

To be honest , and I accept I'm in a minority, Id rather see us play decent football in the Championship.

I genuinely don't think the club can continue this spiral of selling our only decent players and replacing with journeymen to play negative football with the sole intention of staying on the gravy train.