January transfer window 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

January isn't a great time to buy in terms of value or quality, so when you consider our finances and need to be prudent (and frugal) it isn't likely at all.

Thelwell is being cautious with what he said because if they say, "No, we're likely to do business," there'll be people who jump on that ignoring all of the above.

I suspect any business will also be based on whether Danjuma remains with us or not.
It's never a good time to buy for everton in recent windows...any excuse is good for the board. I guess that in the summer it will be that because of the European championship is not a good window either to buy players. The squad size is beyond ridiculous and we are lucky that we are in the position we are with very few injuries and more importantly no real serious injury to date yet. I am tired of seeing the club gambling on dyche making the most of the very little he is been giving. At the very least, we need to fill those loan spots ASAP.

The only people who know the answer to this question will be the people at the top level of the club, not a collection of fans on some internet forum regurigtating whatever made up rumour some random bloke on twitter has invented for likes.

Common sense would tell you the answer probably falls between "no, we have no money to do deals" and "we might do 1 or 2 small bits of business if a player becomes available that can improve the squad, is better than what we have, and fits our limited budget".
The 5000 people we were linked with in the last couple of windows shows that you are spot on. The only issues with these windows are when the unrealistic names are thrown about.

Happy new year blues. I wish you all happiness, health and wealth! Here’s to some positive results and a sustained upturn in performances in 2024.

Here’s the transfer and some general roundup for the 1st Jan 2024!

Director of football Kevin Thelwell intimated that it will be a quiet month, stating Everton’s transfer business will be “low-key”. Speaking to the club’s official website (27 December), he said: “Please, don’t be drawn in by the inevitable daily churn of social media rumour and conjecture – as enticing as I know such chat can be. This is likely to be a low-key transfer window for Everton.”

One rumour that did seem to make some sense, though, was Everton’s links to young Wigan Athletic goalkeeper Sam Tickle, who has established himself as first choice this season.

An update from Alan Nixon (31 December) suggests Everton might have to act quickly. Writing on his Patreon in quotes reported by Football League World, Nixon commented: “Wigan hope to tie down top young keeper Sam Tickle to a new contract- despite his fan club growing.

Paul Brown has offered his verdict on whether Kalvin Phillips could make the switch to Everton in January, admitting the timing of the move “doesn’t feel amazing”.

The Toffees are reportedly one of the teams interested in signing the England international during the January transfer window, but face competition from Newcastle United, Juventus and Crystal Palace, according to The Telegraph [27 December].

As quoted by Give Me Sport (31 December) he said: “Yeah, I’ve always kind of said that I’d love to see Kalvin Phillips play at Everton. I think he would have been ideal for the club and fit right in with the way they are trying to play.

One player who seems almost certain to depart the Toffees is Arnaut Danjuma and the Dutchman could well have played his final game in an Everton shirt on Saturday (30 December) when he was introduced from the bench against Wolves.

Reports in Spain have emerged suggesting that Villarreal have already held serious conversations with the striker over a potential loan recall in January, as they believe that he would offer the ready-made solution to their current winger problem.

Everton striker Youssef Chermiti could depart Goodison Park on loan as part of a triple exit in the January transfer window, according to the Sunday People.

The newspaper reported in its print edition (31 December, page 50) that the Portuguese youngster could be one of three players to leave Sean Dyche’s side in the new year, with a loan switch away from Merseyside touted.

In addition, both Arnaut Danjuma and Ben Godfrey have been touted with potential moves in January. Both players have played bit part roles under Dyche this season and could depart Goodison Park in search of more regular first team football.

Dele Alli’s Everton comeback bid has been dealt a fresh blow. The playmaker was preparing to return to action next month for the first time in a year after being sidelined since February with a long-term groin issue.

“Unfortunately the year isn’t ending as I would have hoped,” Alli wrote on Instagram.

“I had been close to returning to full training but frustratingly I’ve had another setback with my injury.

“I’ll be out again for short while but my outlook and mentality is nothing but positive.

“I’ll be attacking my physiotherapy and giving it everything to be back on the pitch as soon as possible.”

Everton are keeping close tabs on Alex Robertson, the Manchester City prospect who has excelled at Portsmouth on loan this season.

According to Portsmouth News, Everton are closely monitoring Alex Robertson’s situation at Portsmouth and could make a move for the 20-year-old Manchester City prospect. The attacking midfielder has taken considerable strides in his development, which could prompt interest from the Toffees ahead of January.

Everton are unlikely to sign Leicester City attacker Kasey McAteer in the January transfer window. That's according to a report from The Daily Mail (31/12, p34), who say that the Toffees will be dictated by their budget when it comes to the business they do next month.

According to previous reports from Football Transfers, Everton are plotting a move to sign the 22-year-old in the January transfer window. Now however, it seems as though it is far from certain that such a deal will happen once the window reopens at the turn of the year.​

Last edited:
I started writing a post about what my hopes are for this window, I know Thelwell say it will be a quiet one but when you look at things there could be quite a bit of movement...

Reports suggest Danjuma going back and if that happens we need to sign a Danjuma replacement
We need more depth in CM with Gana going to AFCON
Holgate coming back from Southampton, I assume he will be going on loan again or sold.
Godfrey is rumoured to be wanted, if he goes we will need a replacement at CB
Chermiti is rumoured to be going out on loan
Dobbin isn`t getting regular football, will he go out on loan?
It`s clear that when Doucoure is out it affects the team so I think we need to be looking for another to play his role.
Will Gomes go? It feels like we`ve been trying to sell him for years
Will there be moves for Branthwaite and Onana? We might need to fend some clubs off in this window

All ifs and buts and I`m sure there will be 100s of rumours, most will be rubbish... Anything I`ve missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.