2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

The reason the team works so well is in large to DCL. If you can't see that and think Beto would be a better option, you truly have a very low understanding of football.

The work DCL does off the ball, the way he is easily able to get us up the pitch, either by holding the ball up and bringing others in, or winning free kicks is the main reason we are having success at the moment.

If Beto starts, it puts the midfield and back under a lot more consistent pressure.

Beto cannot control a ball, he cannot hold a ball up, he's poor in the air. He cannot offer a route out.

Beto's strength is playing off the shoulder of a wide player. It doesn't suit Dyche's system, and in an ever evolving game, Beto's game is a very dated way to play. The team like it is now, encompasses that all have to contribute in all phases. Beto, up until to now has shown he isn't able to offer much if anything to the defensive side of the teams effort.

Calvert-Lewin is a monster of a centre forward for this system. His work is unbelievable. He's the perfect match for Dyche's tactics. He should have scored against Chelsea, but Doucoure got the rebound, he should have scored against Burnley, but for a very very good save, in which we scored from the resulting corner. Goals will come for him.

There isn't a debate to be had for Beto, to replace DCL.

Should have been comfortably put out of the keepers reach to begin with
Yup. Another one to add to the "Made the keeper look good" collection.

That was a bad miss - and there have been too many like that this season. His overall play is good, but he's never been a clinical finisher and never will be. I can accept that. He's a very useful player for us, and seems a good lad. But people talking him up as a top striker will continuously be shown up by his consistent inability to slot clinically. He'll get us goals this season, but he'll never score in the quantities he might given the chances he, to his credit, gets on the end of. Good player, though. No issue with him. It's the hype that irks me.

Yup. Another one to add to the "Made the keeper look good" collection.

That was a bad miss - and there have been too many like that this season. His overall play is good, but he's never been a clinical finisher and never will be. I can accept that. He's a very useful player for us, and seems a good lad. But people talking him up as a top striker will continuously be shown up by his consistent inability to slot clinically. He'll get us goals this season, but he'll never score in the quantities he might given the chances he, to his credit, gets on the end of. Good player, though. No issue with him. It's the hype that irks me.
I haven't seen anyone hyping him

Makes a massive difference having him up top. Needs a goal for his confidence and to kick on. Header yesterday from Paterson’s cross was a great chance and while the keeper made a good save, kind of chance you feel he’d not give the keeper a chance with when he’s on form.

Makes a massive difference having him up top. Needs a goal for his confidence and to kick on. Header yesterday from Paterson’s cross was a great chance and while the keeper made a good save, kind of chance you feel he’d not give the keeper a chance with when he’s on form.
Few inches to the right or a bit further in front of the keeper (the bounce would have got him) I think it would have been in.

he's the reason we got the corner that we scored from

yeah he should have scored the cross but thats irrelevant cos he won us a corner

It’s not irrelevant if your striker cannot finish.

True we scored from the corner but if your main attacker cannot finish , long term, it’s not a good thing and is not a recipe for success.

DCL?

Lol! He's been hyped for years on here. "Harry Kane's replacement". My arse.

I can vouch for that, I used to get dogs abuse on here when I went against people comparing him to shearer , drogba , Kane and co “ at the same age” they all had at least one thing in common…. They knew how to finish and looked confident in front of goal