New Everton Stadium Discussion

Pity the Merseytram scheme died on its backside. That was a massive missed opportnity for the City in my opinion and would have helped hugely with the movement of people from the waterfront.
Merseytravel was shafted by the then Labour Government if I recall. Given encouragement for the bids, initially allocated funding. Merseytravel then undertook some enabling works to combine with other works going on (to try to optimise on costs) only to have the Government pull the rug from underneath them. I was at an event in London when the late Glenda Jackson (then a transport minister) was in attendance and took the opportunity to speak to the Merseytravel DG who was also there - what he said would be unpublishable on a family site like this - suffice to say he was less enamoured by her performance in Government than in Elizabeth....

Had a quick trip see it today. It's frigging huge, like honest to God if you haven't seen it in person @matty1878 you need to as it could change your mind.

View attachment 221319
View attachment 221320

What a difference one year makes, from my last visit end of July 22.

View attachment 221322
Same here.

Yesterday was the first time I’d seen it in person since October, and I was blown away by how big it is now.

I remember people saying it was massive in person back then, and so I think I had high expectations, but was disappointed with the impact in person.

Totally different yesterday. The first shock was seeing the enormous South Stand roof while driving down Great Howard Street. Then turning into Blackstone Street, it just fills the sky.

To second what you’ve said, if anyone who can go hasn’t been yet, Or hasn’t been since they started the roof, get down there.

IMG_8061.jpeg

71293089820__AF133981-B773-41C2-8817-3D17D153B0E2.jpeg
IMG_8060.jpeg

Terry's Timber is too close to the site to be an ideal bus stop/terminal and is within the hard road closure zone for that reason. There is only a total of 54m width of immediate pedestrian access to the stadium site across the 3 roads leading to and from it (Regent St going North and South and Blackstone St going East). For quick comparison GP has approx 180m. That section of Blackstone Street would be too swamped by people to allow decent loading and bus movement. Shuttle buses also have to be able to return and turn to face the right direction for their next run, and according to the transport strategy this is routed via Great Howard St, perhaps with a turning loop using streets off Derby St (though this isn't too clear in the planning docs, maybe they've been revised as I know there's been further consultation since).

There is no mention of a bus terminus as such. The Shuttle buses are meant to bridge the gap between existing hubs/terminals and the stadium. Obviously for them to work effectively they need clear pathways so that they can do as many shuttle runs as possible in a relatively short post match window. The route shown in the plan goes all the way to/from Lime St/St John's Lane. I think a shorter loop of say 10 streets to Old Hall would give a much quicker turnaround.
It still baffles me why they didnt strike a deal with mersey ferry and utilise the river to bring fans in from the wirral and wales. All of whom will now have to drive (and then try and park somewhere) or get the train bus and increase congestion there. If there was a matchday ferry service direct to the ground all the traffic congestion / parking issues would be confined to the other side of the water. To build a river front stadium and not utilise the river itself seems crazy?

It still baffles me why they didnt strike a deal with mersey ferry and utilise the river to bring fans in from the wirral and wales. All of whom will now have to drive (and then try and park somewhere) or get the train bus and increase congestion there. If there was a matchday ferry service direct to the ground all the traffic congestion / parking issues would be confined to the other side of the water. To build a river front stadium and not utilise the river itself seems crazy?
Could it be done later?

There is already a ferry service, its been there for quite some time, its just a bit of a walk away.

Maybe the new IOM terminal could be used only a stone’s throw from BMD.

Yeah but it could be direct to the ground on a match day? Takes loads of people off the roads etc, reduces congestion?
Its a 15 min walk from the current terminal, i doubt ferry travellers will be creating any car traffic congestion. The new isle of mann terminal is closer so maybe they could fit something in with their timetable but I would imagine most people travelling by ferry are doing so for scenic purposes and a couple of extra crossings is all it might take

Same here.

Yesterday was the first time I’d seen it in person since October, and I was blown away by how big it is now.

I remember people saying it was massive in person back then, and so I think I had high expectations, but was disappointed with the impact in person.

Totally different yesterday. The first shock was seeing the enormous South Stand roof while driving down Great Howard Street. Then turning into Blackstone Street, it just fills the sky.

To second what you’ve said, if anyone who can go hasn’t been yet, Or hasn’t been since they started the roof, get down there.

View attachment 221333

View attachment 221335View attachment 221334
The view as you travel towards it along past Costco towards the old Heritage Market is stunning.

Ti's a thing of awe and wonderment.

Despite his many, many failings and complete lack of leadership, Moshiri has played an absolute blinder with the stadium.

Nor, unless I missed it have Spurs in London ( if they have a stadium sponsor my bad for missing it)

The main differences between our project and Spurs' was that their financial strategy was far more transparent and self-sustainable. They showed quite clearly what their new projected incomes would be and they had no problems securing the loan deals because those projections covered the debt/interest, even without a naming rights deal. So they have even been able to hold off on that until they secure the best deal that suits them..... probably if/when they have some success. They have been the most profitable club in the prem over the past 3 yrs.

By comparison our financial model appears to have been a finger in the air effort, at best. Primarily only sustainable because our (nominal) owner was paying for half of it and our sugar daddy was sponsoring it with a blank cheque to cover the club's loans for the other half. That then became the owner having to pay for the lot because no one was offering a favourable finance deal to the club and now the sugar daddy has had his cheque book confiscated. Which has in turn descended to the owner (who's now desperate to cut his losses and appearing to want to offload asap) having to go cap in hand to "independent" (possibly shark) investors just to finish the stadium.

As far as I can see, nobody appears to know what our projected incomes will be (even at this stage), what the stadium debt/interest will be or where those costs will ultimately land.... on the owner, new owner, club or independent stadium owner.